JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, the family is away, and I've been engaging in culinary shenanigans, including an octopus chowder I do so enjoy. (And one I am pretty sure if I served said to my wife and children I would suddenly, and violently, be turn me into a bachelor again.) Be that as it may, out of curiosity, and the fact this house is so quiet now, I googled fishing for said. According to the ODFW site, one can catch an octopus everyday in Oregon. What a country!

More seriously, has anyone actually pursued this species here in Oregon, or in our neighbor to the north? How did it turn out?

Anyway, just wondering friends. Cheers. :)

Last Edited:
I've never been "octopussing" lol. But it shouldn't be too hard. Oregon has a lot of basalt rocks with crevices that become exposed during low tide. Just walk around and try to find one. I hear using fishing pots is also a good bet. Now I really want to harvest some!

Octopussing, haha! We gentleman cannot get away from such a joke. OK, more seriously, thanks for the notes. Funny you mention finding them at low tide, because some sites, albeit in another state and abroad, showed just that. That would be pretty easy. :)

So, the family is away, and I've been engaging in culinary shenanigans, including an octopus chowder I do so enjoy. (And one I am pretty sure if I served said to my wife and children I would suddenly, and violently, be turn me into a bachelor again.) Be that as it may, out of curiosity, and the fact this house is so quiet now, I googled fishing for said. According to the ODFW site, one can catch an octopus everyday in Oregon. What a country!

More seriously, has anyone actually pursued this species here in Oregon, or in our neighbor to the north? How did it turn out?

Now you got to post the recipe! I love octopus, but I usually grill it.

You got the, "squid eye"?

Actually, I haven't tried "fishing" for octopus in OR or WA.

But anyway...... YES, in Hawaii we do it. Of course the waters are warmer there. So then.....I've gone spear fishing for them and have used a line and sinker on some occasions. But, seeing them first (or knowing where they live) is usually the start. Also, there is the method where a shell is used. The octopus sees the shell and attacks it. You pull up the line and "dinner is served".

Speaking of dinner. Grilled octopus is what I like. Dipped into miso. Yummy.

Aloha, Mark

I've never been "octopussing" lol. But it shouldn't be too hard. Oregon has a lot of basalt rocks with crevices that become exposed during low tide. Just walk around and try to find one. I hear using fishing pots is also a good bet. Now I really want to harvest some!
Octopussing, haha! We gentleman cannot get away from such a joke. OK, more seriously, thanks for the notes. Funny you mention finding them at low tide, because some sites, albeit in another state and abroad, showed just that. That would be pretty easy. :)

So.... if you use cat food as bait, will you catch an octopussy? :D

Last Edited:
I have seen a number of Oriental folks fishing off the public pier in Tukwilla. They were using a hand line with a sinker and a single hook up about 12" fefr the bottom. It was not uncommon to see them taking upwords of 6-10 of them into a 5 Gallon bucket. But then that was several years ago so the laws may have changed. The times I have had it was, it was Beer battered and fried in a Wak or deep fried. It was very tasty. Good Luck.

I was in a scuba class that visited Keystone Jetty in WA state above Seattle. Looking into the rocks in the jetty I often saw octopus... they have the huge Giant Pacific Octopus there (33lbs)... think Jaque Cousteau. We did a night dive there and those critters come out to hunt at night... pretty impressive. I've eaten octopus but the ones I ate were small.

I've had octopus breaded and deep fried at the fishnchips in Brookings. But my fave was in East Los Angeles in a Mexican eatery. I like food adventures so I tried the dish and it was fab... small pieces in a kind of tomato based stew, very spicy, with capers too. A lot like Cioppino.

When I was commercial fishing we would cut a leg off, "peel" it, skin and tentacles, put into a cloth bag and beat the snot out of it. Or actually beat it until it looked like snot. :confused: Bread it and fry. Thats probably my favorite seafood, taste reminded me of a cross between razor clams and crab. These were big deep water octopi and 1 leg was usually enough for 3 people. They regenerate their legs so we'd toss it back to grow another for next time.

Now you got to post the recipe! I love octopus, but I usually grill it.

I don't know how others prepare it, but my way of making octopus chowder is:

Ingredients:
  • A chowder base. I normally just go with a good store-bought base rather than making my own.
  • A can or two of octopus, depending how much you want. I normally use Vigo brand, in olive oil, but others will work.
  • Celery.
  • Salt and Pepper or Pico Mariscos powder*.
Directions:

• Drain the can(s) of octopus into a sieve and thoroughly wash away the oil. I found if there is much oil left, it imparts an unpleasant taste.
  • Finely chop the celery into little pieces.
  • Combine the three ingredients into a pot.
  • Add seasoning, as desired.
  • Cook over medium heat, but do not bring to a boil.
  • Continue to stir and heat until ready.
I've found serving with a some buttered French bread and a nice Lager really hits the spot. Cheers. :)

* This seasoning is sort of a spicy salt that is good on seafood. If one is not into that, however, some salt and pepper will add flavor.

Pico1.jpg

PSA for the day......

Don't kill and eat Alien's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews