JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There is a chance I will be moving to Washington again. I had an out-of-state Oregon CCW once issued by Washington County and I currently have a Washington County CCW. I was wondering if anyone knows if I move to a border area like White Salmon, N. Bonneville, etc how hard it would be for me to acquire another Oregon out-of-state permit? I was reading some sheriff in Oregon was coming up to Washington to help Washington residents acquire an Oregon CCW. Does anyone know who this sheriff is? I got the permit last time when I lived north of Vancouver, telling them that I needed it for protection while transferring digital/computer equipment through Washington County. SHould I stick with this statement? It is not anything far from the truth. Also, the family business I work for is based in SOuthern Oregon, so I do make frequent trips.

I'm just interested to hear people's advice on this issue.

One place I was looking at borders Hood River County which I hear is a no go, since I hear they rarely issue out of state permits. If I move to the Gorge, I probably will have to look at Washington county or others. I currently have a Wash county CCW and have Sheriff Rob Gordon issue me an out of state before, so I think maybe I will try my luck again. I'm just hoping things are the same and that being in the Gorge won't be a problem. I was in Clark County last time. Travelling to Grant County for CCW would be real rough. I don't want to have to drive to Eastern Oregon, but I would if I knew it was the only feasible option.

I live in Vancouver and got mine in Multnomah Co some years ago. At that time I had to have a letter from our Social Services Dept saying I had never been adjudicated mentally incompetent and a letter from my employer saying it was OK for me to have a permit. All they require now is a letter stating why I wanted a permit. Easy and I was in and out in about 10 min once they opened up.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

I wish the thread about Sheriff Palmer was made into a sticky so it doesn't have to be repeated over and over.

Sheriff Glen Palmer, Grant County Oregon.
Visits Vancouver Washington every so often and will issue CHL's to Washington residents. $50 to the Sheriff, $15 to the state patrol.

He will accept the PDF from an online pistol safety course for training: MD Firearms Safety Training
His application can be downloaded here: http://oregonfirearms.org/pdfs/grantcochlapp.pdf

Glenn E. Palmer
205 S. Humbolt
Canyon City, OR 97820
Phone: (541) 575-1131
Fax: (541) 575-2580
E-mail: [email protected]

PLEASE NOTE:
Applications must be turned in in person. Your photo and fingerprints must be taken at the Sheriff's office or in his presence at the remote locations. DO NOT MAIL IN APPLICATIONS. When you apply IN PERSON the Sheriff requests that applicants include a stamped self-addressed envelope with their applications.

Due to the high volume of applications from our border states, out-of-state applications will be processed on Wednesdays 8 am to 3 pm only.

Wonderful info thank you.. Do you think if I did move to Washington that I should attempt to apply for my permit in Washington County, since I had one previously? Or, perhaps, should I not risk anything and just go to Canyon City to obtain my permit? That is what i am wondering now. If I am denied in one county, would I be prevented from applying in another?

I don't think it matters if you were denied in one county. Call and ask the sheriff's office. Even ones that don't want to issue to residents don't really have a choice. That's what shall issue means. They have a choice when dealing with nonresidents.

It doesn't hurt to ask about policy first because it can differ from county to county based on the whims of the sheriff.

Just curious - is there ANY difference between an in-state and an out-of-state one, other than your address?? It is a STATE permit, just that it also lists the county where issued (mine says Multnomah). And you are required to report a new address within so many days of moving (and pay whatever the fee is for a replacement with the new info). So why not simply update the info with your new (now out-of-state) information and get the permit updated. Then, once that permit expires, simply renew as usual. You aren't really applying for anything new (you already have one) - you are simply changing your address (which happens to now be across the river).

Maybe it doesn't work that way, but it might be worth checking. As for getting an out-of-state one issued, it was no problem for me with Multnomah County (was actually recommended to go through them in the class I took).

Hi LC, sorry but it doesn't work that way. Oregon is a funny state. What you say works fine in Washington and my WA CHL is still valid, regardless of where I Move. Unfortunately, in Oregon you have to apply for a new permit every time you move to a different county. So, if you move out of state, your current permit is invalid. That is where the problem arises.

If I know that Sheriff Palmer will give out permits to all WA residents, then perhaps the best bet is not to risk it with any other county and make the trek to Canyon City. Better safe than sorry. However, I am just interested to hear if anyone thinks from hearing my situation if I should apply again in Washington county, since I already have a WA County permit and had an out-of-state WA county permit in the past. Perhaps, all I need to do is write a little letter and there won't be any issue. What I am wondering is, do most WA residents who apply for permits in Washington county receive them?

When I moved from OR to WA I just filed a change of address slip for my permit & paid the $15 (or whatever) fee. I got a new permit mailed to my WA address no problem.

Wow, interesting news Kimber.. Didn't know you could do that.. Maybe I will have to look into that. The lady at the front desk of the Wash County Sheriff CHL office told me you have to apply for a new permit if you leave the state. Maybe she was wrong.

Check this guy's training calendar. I got my OR non resident through a class he did in Vancouver and never had to travel, he had someone deputized by Sheriff Palmer on site to do the fingerprinting and other paperwork. I also got a Utah license just because I could. It was very easy.

MK Tactical - Oregon Concealed Handgun License

They are in the process of changing the Utah permit. When it goes through you will have to have your state of residency permit first, then get the Utah one. Not sure when the change goes into effect or if it's even been approved yet. There was a story about the legislation on the NRA site a few days ago.

Here's the link to the story in the Salt Lake Tribune

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

When I got my OR permit, I went to Grant County. Of course, It wasn't a big deal as I was on my way back from Reno getting my NV permit. It's kind of a cool little town, everyone I ran into in town and at the Sheriff's office was friendly.

The way OR does it, I think pretty much every county gets to set their own policy. Even the layout of the CHL looks like it was designed locally. So one county might just let you do a change of address, and another might make you go through the whole process.

OR is Shall Issue for residents, but May Issue for nonresidents. Palmer has routinely stated that his county policy is 'shall issue' for qualifying out of state residents, probably because it's a little gold mine for such a small county. Also, from what I understand, if you get denied, you can't reapply at another county for a set amount of time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top