JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Jul 29, 2009 10:18 am US/Central
More Than A Dozen Shot In Chicago Overnight
7 Victims In One Attack; Total Of 15 Hurt Over Four Hours

<broken link removed>

Chicago

Seven people were shot late Tuesday at Homan Boulevard and Walnut Street on the city's West Side, in one of numerous overnight shootings that left more than a dozen people wounded.

At least 15 people were shot and wounded in Chicago overnight, seven of them in a single incident on the city's West Side.

In that incident, police were called to the scene of a shooting at Walnut Street and Homan Boulevard at 10:43 p.m.

Seven people were shot, according to Fire Media Affairs Dir. Larry Langford, who said six people were initially hospitalized in critical condition and one person, an adult man, was taken in stable condition after suffering a graze wound.

One person was found shot inside a grocery store and the six others were found within a half-block radius of the store, Langford said.

All victims were male, Langford said. They ranged in age from 15 to 28, and were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, St. Anthony Hospital and Stroger Hospital of Cook County for treatment of their wounds.

The shooter or shooters are unknown early Wednesday and no one is in custody, police said.

About an hour earlier, three people -- including a woman standing with her baby in a stroller -- were shot within 20 minutes in separate incidents on the South and West sides.

In the South Shore neighborhood about 9:30 p.m., a 22-year-old man was shot in the hand and suffered a minor head wound at 7700 S. Avalon Ave., Langford said.

The shooting was preceded by a carjacking more than two hours earlier in the 8800 block of South Parnell Avenue, when five suspects approached the victim and physically removed him from his vehicle at gunpoint, according to police News Affairs.

The suspects then put him in their vehicle and took him to his residence, where they stole his TVs. After the robbery, they drove the victim to the Avalon Avenue address where they beat him and then shot him as he ran away, News Affairs said.

The man was taken to Stroger Hospital of Cook County in stable condition, Langford said.

At 9:31 p.m. near the intersection of King Drive and 64th Street in the Woodlawn neighborhood, a 25-year-old woman was shot.

She was standing outside with her baby in a stroller talking to friends on the grounds of a gated housing development when three males wearing black hoodies burst out of a nearby Auto Zone store and opened fire, according to a Grand Crossing District police captain.

The woman -- who was not the target of the shooting -- then felt a sharp pain in her lower right leg and discovered she was shot, according to the captain, who said the baby was fine and no one else was shot.

The woman was taken to University of Chicago Hospitals in good condition, according to the captain and Langford.

In a third shooting, a 22-year-old man walked into Loretto Hospital with a gunshot wound to the ankle after being shot at 165 N. Laporte Ave. in the West Side's Austin neighborhood about 9:50 p.m, Langford said. Police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines said the shooting possibly happened during a robbery and that the victim was in good condition at the hospital.

But even after all that, the violence wasn't over.

At 11:02 p.m., two men were shot as they sat on a porch at 3037 S. Springfield Ave. in the Little Village neighborhood. They were shot by members of a rival gang who came by on foot, police said.

One victim was shot in the chest and the other was shot in the eye and both went to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition, according to Gaines, who said the injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

Not long afterward, a man was hit by gunfire in the 4200 block of South Wells Street, when two other males began shooting about 11:20 p.m., according to a report from police News Affairs. The victim was hit in the leg and taken in stable condition at Provident Hospital of Cook County, the report said.

Farther south, a teenage boy was shot and wounded late Tuesday while walking in the 10700 block of South Champlain Avenue about 11:50 p.m. The shooting was a drive-by, and police are looking for a white GMC.

he teen was hit in his right side and is in good condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police News Affairs said. Detectives said the victim was treated and released from Christ.

In another incident, a man was shot and critically wounded at 7211 S. Cornell Ave. in the South Shore neighborhood. He was shot and wounded in the chest and upper shoulder at 1:19 a.m., police said.

The man had been sitting inside his car -- where investigators found blood -- but he was found shot on the street about four doors down, according to police. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

The STNG Wire contributed to this report.

(&#169; MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

see how well handgun control works in Chicago? My my, we should go for it nationwide, it works so well..........

this reminds me of the article last week where someone was arrested by one of Chicago mayor Daley's personal ARMED bodyguards...... seems this guy doesn't like firearms in anyone's hands... except the cops. Well, if HE can have armed guards, at public expense no doubt, he's talking out of both sides of his mouth when he declares private citizens can't.

The same sauce flavours the goose can flavour the gander....

yeah, particularly when the cops only know how to play Cleanup and Clule when something DOES happen.
Interesting thing I've considered.. the arrest and subsequent brouhaha over the Harvard prof's perceived breakin.... the guy had been there, not long, the suspicious activity call came in to 911, the cops actually GOT there while he was still on the porch...... now, supposing that had been a real breakin, and in Chicago. The "housebreaker" never would have had a chhance to get scrappy with the bull, as he''d have been long gone before HE got there.

The follow up interviews I've seen with the cop, other LEO's, and the lady who made the 911 call, from that town have impressed me as being a very well run outfit.

Chicago, on the other hand.. what, fifteen shootings in one night? Baghdad has often been safer than that............

Do I have to be there to read casualty counts?
Do I have to be in PDX to see the news reports of shootings in the streets and neighborhoods?

Nope to both.
And Chicago is worse, and has been for decades.

Chicago, on the other hand.. what, fifteen shootings in one night? Baghdad has often been safer than that............

Don't blame the cops. They've been handcuffed by Daley and his civil-rights allies from the black wing of the Machine.

Black and Latino politicians use the street gangs as their own version of Obama's Civil Defense Corps. They have run of most of the city. You will never read it in the paper, but guess the demographic of 99.99999&#37; of the shooters and their victims? Clue: spray paint on walls.

Between paperwork, lawsuits, bought-off judges and a police superintendent who will throw his officers under the bus at the drop of a hat, the good folks on CPD are running uphill in full battle dress.

If you'd like to see the beat cop's take on the violence, go <broken link removed> .

But hey, Obama fixed all that. . .

OK, let me make a minor adjustment in my statements above:

instead of "when the cops only know", read: "when the cops only can do..."

Sure, they have their hands cuffed by their superiors. There is a reason those in power in Windy are referred to as "the machine". Daley's own recent conduct (his armed bodyguards arresting an escaped murder possibly bent on "revenge", and yet HE stands firm against relaxing arms control in HIS kingdom.... double standard or what?) fits well with this scenario.

Read about how things work inn Guatemala, change a few names, and you've likely got the story right for Chicago. Same game plan.

I know this is a little off subject but find it interesting all the same. This was sent to me in an email. I have no source for it and do not know if it is true. It does appear to be right on. In cities and states that do not have strict gun laws like Chicago and DC the crime rates are considerably lower. :huh::huh:

After reading the following historical facts, read the part
about Switzerland twice

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control.. From 1929 to 1953,
about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1..5 million
Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total
of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were
rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000
Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated..

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. >From 1975 to 1977, one million
educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century
because of gun control: 56 million.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians
disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes,
gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them
of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens.'

Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew
most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message
to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is
supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!

SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY
CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

IT'S A NO BRAINER!

DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS
IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment

I've often heard this before, but can anyone substantiate this:

I've often heard this before, but can anyone substantiate this:

Not true. The government trains every capable male and issues them an assault rifle. Women can volunteer for this. But men are required to.

They no longer issue ammunition to everyone (the minimum 50 rounds), but it can still be bought after a small background check. I got this information from a man who lives in Switzerland.

They also eliminated private ownership of guns (meaning you can't have one unless it's issued to you by the state.)

The swiss had something good, but it's going down hill over too many stupid accidents.

They don't have the lowest gun related crime, but one of the lowest.

What goes on in Chicago is what the politicians in Washington, DC wish for ALL Americans! They want us to cower under the beds in our homes while armed gangs of thugs freely prowl the neighborhood. Then they can "PROTECT" us as they do in Chicago, DC and other bastions of antigun rules! Would you be willing to give up your guns for that?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews