JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dood, stop downloading from those conspiracy websites.
Yer killin me.

o_O

Even if what you say is true, and those races are extinct, it is a moot point.
Now isn't it ?
Might however, have some value if playing Trivial Pursuit, if true.

Last Edited:
Can I use an air rifle to kill nutria in the urban area of Washington County (Oregon)? I live on Fanno Creek and the nutria have tunneled under my flood wall.

How powerful a rifle is needed? How inexpensive can I go, considering that it will be for a single purpose?
I checked a while back and discovered that even if you live in unincorporated parts of WA.CO. you cannot legally use an air gun or even a bow and arrows where there is high density population.
It is still legal to live trap them. What you do with them after you trap them is another matter.
I could make some suggestions, but even those might be illegal, so I won't say it here on a public forum.

Just catch them in a live trap (which you could probably rent or borrow) and then drop it into a barrel of H2O and drown them. My sister-in-law caught about twenty skunks over the years that kept nesting under her house and that was her method of getting rid of skunks. She had the cage on a 10 foot pole to move it to the water barrel.

REGARDING TRAPPING/EUTHANIZING:

For the last fourteen years I've assisted in caring for a feral cat colony in the mobile home court where I live. Part of what I do is trapping nuisance animals that fight with the cats, steal their food, and spread disease. Most of our problem animals are raccoons and opossums. (In Oregon, urban raccoons are the second highest carriers of rabies, bats being the first.) For some time it has been necessary to get a permit from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife to trap them, and more recently it is required that any trapped must be euthanized...they can no longer be relocated. HOWEVER, nutria are an exception in that no permit is required if on your own land. Below are excerpts from the ODFW website on the subject. The best way to trap them is with a live trap, which you can obtain in many places, including any farm supply store, or even online; I got mine at Western Pet Supply. The kindest way to euthanize is with helium or carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide (by way of fumes from dry ice). There are plenty of tutorials online. I built my own 'kill box' and use helium (available at party supply stores).

BELOW FROM ODFW WEBSITE (italics and bold print mine):

If you are experiencing wildlife causing a nuisance you may contact a permitted wildlife control operator or contact ODFW if you wish to conduct the trapping yourself. A WCO permit is not required for the onsite capture and euthanasia of species defined as "predatory animals".

"Unprotected Mammals"
For any person owning, leasing, occupying, possessing or having charge of or dominion over any land (or an agent of this person) who is taking or attempting to take coyote, gophers, mountain beaver (boomer), marmot, nutria, or porcupine on that property, these six species are considered to be predatory animals.

Prohibited species listed in OAR 635-056-0050 such as Nutria, Eastern Gray Squirrels, Eastern Fox Squirrels, and Virginia Opossum must be euthanized and cannot be released onsite.

Just catch them in a live trap (which you could probably rent or borrow) and then drop it into a barrel of H2O and drown them. My sister-in-law caught about twenty skunks over the years that kept nesting under her house and that was her method of getting rid of skunks. She had the cage on a 10 foot pole to move it to the water barrel.
I'd take those pelts too... good badger substitute.

An air rifle is not a firearm. You can shoot an air rifle in city limits but it has to be under 6 ft/lbs of energy which is way too weak to shoot a nutria. The city of Beaverton has a ban on air rifles of any kind which is at their discretion as a city ordinance. Most places typically allow a 6 ft/lbs air rifle to be fired like a crossman for target practice. I have a break barrel rifle that is nearly 30 ft/lbs. I really don't give a crap about shooting it but it is intergally suppressed and it's quiet. always ensure a safe back stop. I will sell you my break barrel if you want lol.

Last Edited:
Hard to believe that in four pages of discussion on all sorts of creative ways to "euthanize" this critter no one has suggested any good recipes. Did you know you can pay good money to eat these critters? JFGI. Was originally introduced in attempt to control aquatic weeds, and for FOOD and fur. Take a look at the first link below for some haunting cuisine cooking suggestions. The "pulled" nutria looks pretty good! Also a pic of a gal with a nice nutria stole.

Nutria
Nutria Recipes
Smothered Nutria Cajun Style Recipe - Food.com
Nutria Sausage Jambalaya Recipe - Food.com

The teeth can make interesting jewelry too!
Good source of survival food at least.
Report back on your cooking results!

HB

Last Edited:
You first.
Well, unfortunately, or fortunately for the local environment, there aren't any of those critters up this far that I've heard of. If there were, I'd be on em'. A herbivorous critter, lean meat, similar to rabbit that tastes similar to dark turkey meat, that the Journal of Food Science has tested and adjudges to be "...a nutritional wholesome product that is safe for human consumption...". Looks pretty good and, hey, thousands of South Americans can't be wrong, eh? Never say never.... ;' >
HB

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads