JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing to consider in this discussion is the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB). Rules can apply in a UGB that wouldn't otherwise apply in say an unincorporated county area. For example, I live in unincorporated Clackamas County, just outside the OC city limits. By county rules, I am allowed to shoot a firearm on my property, so long as it's not a threat to persons or property (I don't have enough space to do that, so I wouldn't discharge firearms on my property anyway, save for self-defense), but, I'm just inside the UGB, and that means I can't shoot a firearm on my property as, for some damn reason, the UGB supercedes the county codes in regard to firearms. I can thank Metro for that crap.

Now, I know we're talking about airguns, not firearms, I'm just bringing this up to make a point. There are numerous areas of law/rules/regulations you have to check to really be certain if you are free and clear to shoot with no potential for police to show up on your doorstep.

I'm not aware of any UGB or county regulations ever limiting the use of airguns. Have you ever identified an instance where that has been the case? I think that you may be referring to something that does not exist in the real world.

All of the regulations on airguns that I have ever learned about have been city ordinances.

If anyone can cite a case otherwise that applies to airguns, I would be most interested to learn about it.

I'm not aware of any UGB or county regulations ever limiting the use of airguns. Have you ever identified an instance where that has been the case? I think that you may be referring to something that does not exist in the real world.

All of the regulations on airguns that I have ever learned about have been city ordinances.

If anyone can cite a case otherwise that applies to airguns, I would be most interested to learn about it.

Not yet, that's why I didn't give a definitive yes or no answer. I was just bringing it up as a possibile area of concern. Point being that there are numerous considerations, not just city, county and state Reg's. If you want to be certain you're clear, you just need to be aware of all potential areas to do your research. Leave it to the government to overly complicate things.

One thing to consider in this discussion is the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB). Rules can apply in a UGB that wouldn't otherwise apply in say an unincorporated county area. For example, I live in unincorporated Clackamas County, just outside the OC city limits. By county rules, I am allowed to shoot a firearm on my property, so long as it's not a threat to persons or property (I don't have enough space to do that, so I wouldn't discharge firearms on my property anyway, save for self-defense), but, I'm just inside the UGB, and that means I can't shoot a firearm on my property as, for some damn reason, the UGB supercedes the county codes in regard to firearms. I can thank Metro for that crap.

Now, I know we're talking about airguns, not firearms, I'm just bringing this up to make a point. There are numerous areas of law/rules/regulations you have to check to really be certain if you are free and clear to shoot with no potential for police to show up on your doorstep.

This February after 75 years the area I live in is now City. Jan 15th I could have used a firearm in my back yard if safe. Jan 16th I can't. There is also now no Air-rifles allowed to be discharged, however the law here seems to cover a unsafe discharge more then just a discharge and there is no explanation lol so there ya go grey line.

This February after 75 years the area I live in is now City. Jan 15th I could have used a firearm in my back yard if safe. Jan 16th I can't. There is also now no Air-rifles allowed to be discharged, however the law here seems to cover a unsafe discharge more then just a discharge and there is no explanation lol so there ya go grey line.

Damn!

I would buy a live trap, then bait it with poisoned food to which the Nutria are attracted. The "sheeple" won't know what happened. According to ODFW, they are non-game animals and are lawful to kill on private property without license or permit. Kill them with either a long knife or poison, no one will care.
Live trap with apples. Just leave them in the trap during these warm days and they will die in a few hours in the sun. Happened too me when I checked traps after lunch. Poison isn't needed (you'll kill native animals or the neighbor's pet). Could also relocate them to a dumpster, or quick drive out of town and then air gun. And yes, an air rifle kills them easy if you use pellets and shoot them between the eyes. My dad has killed more than 30 from his backyard in Salem with a live trap, apples, and a pellet rifle.

Live trap with apples. Just leave them in the trap during these warm days and they will die in a few hours in the sun. Happened too me when I checked traps after lunch. Poison isn't needed (you'll kill native animals or the neighbor's pet). Could also relocate them to a dumpster, or quick drive out of town and then air gun. And yes, an air rifle kills them easy if you use pellets and shoot them between the eyes. My dad has killed more than 30 from his backyard in Salem with a live trap, apples, and a pellet rifle.

You can always release a pet or unintended capture. I'm not overly concerned about being humane with these beasts. Most pets won't go for vegetable/fruit bait. These creatures are a non-native species brought here to be raised for their fur. Perhaps you could find a way to use it for hat manufacture or glove linings.

I'm guessing it would be a good beaver substitute. Would probably tie hare's ears for mahogany duns with that stuff.

Last Edited:
I live in Albany, OR. We have a nutria problem here. Last time I checked, the city was ok with folks using air rifles and bows to put them down. I use a live trap. I used to bait the trap, but stopped after awhile. Just put the trap on one of their paths. They walk right in. I use a .177, but can see a need for a .22 cal air rifle. They have a few weak spots on their head. Ears being one of them. A few shots and they are toast. Lots of blood and twitching though.

I really get sick of disposing of them. The first 10 to 15 are almost fun. But those huge bubblegums just keep showing up! Every morning before my shower, I'd go out and put at least one down. Wait a few minutes to make sure it's dead. I'd then double bag them up, and toss them in the trash.

I got lazy for a month, and just started tossing them over my fence.... not a good idea. Possums and skunks started showing up! bubblegum! Those are a wee bit more difficult to 'Dispose of.' Lesson learned, don't feed the wildlife! :confused:

hbiphdoeimkofgfm.jpg jobnaollfgcolooj.jpg

Interesting thread. I live in unincorporated Washington County, outside of the UGB. I have a Beaverton mailing address, but am serviced by the Washington County Sheriff, not the Beaverton Police. So not sure what laws apply to me.

That point aside, I kill squirrels and raccoons all the time with my Gamo air rifle and the noise is very minimal, but the result is very effective. Probably put down several dozen of them over the past several years after they tore up enough roses. I put a laser sight on it and zeroed it out at 25 feet. Point and shoot. Dead varmint. Sometimes the raccoon takes 2 shots but the first shot usually incapacitates them enough to give me time to reload and then pop them in the head.

Never even considered if an air gun was not allowed where I live. I know firing my .22 would most likely be a bad idea, but never gave a second thought to an air gun...

That CCI Quiet .22 ammo is amazing stuff. The first time I tried some it impressed me. In my autos it of course would not cycle but worked fine single shot. It was amazingly accurate in both of the pistols I tried it in. Noise was on par with a good pellet rifle.
Remington sub sonic cycles my 10/22 rifles fine

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR