JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fourth of July fire works and a .22 with a can well timed shots and NO ONE will even be the wiser.

Last time I shot one it was with a 12 gauge watching that thing splatter made me smile. :D

I've not shot a Nutria but I have recently been shooting jack rabbits with a suppressed 22 rifle using CCI segmented ammo at 1050fps(subsonic). The jacks do not move much. This set up is also much quieter than my 22 Marauder air rifle.

My brother
BE CAREFUL!!! This is how people get in front of a judge. Air guns are firearms here too. They did this by law a LONG time ago. I had no idea. My kids long grown, used to shoot them in the back yard for years. One day I see a story in the local about a guy being arrested for this. Neighbor called Police on him. I was shocked. Even more shocked when I checked and found there was indeed a law. How the Feds define something means squat.
My brother and I have shot our air rifles many many times in my parent's front yard and backyard which backs up to a park. Never had a problem even with the very liberal couple next door and have also shot many times in front of cops that are talking to my dad about a trial. For me personally it would depend on the size of the air rifle and the precautions taken. We shoot .177, a .25, and a .30 air rifle but with a chunk of 1 inch plywood coated in 3 layers of fiberglass and a layer of Kevlar on top of that. If it was a Texan .45 air rifle that will punch through a deer at 30 yards, I can see the worry but not the arrest.

Friend farms some bottom ground and paid $ 1,500 to have a ditch dug out some years ago. He would be working the field and see the nutria move back in and start digging the banks out again and sluffing it back in the ditch. Damn things ran off when he got out. We would go down there some evenings to shoot them and managed to get a few now and then between beers.

Went and bought an old single shot 12 gauge and cut the barrel down short. Kept it in the tractor cab, and when he saw one working, he would slow down, stick that shorty out the window and blast them. He got 6 of them in about a half mile of ditch one planting fall.

The ones I have seen are pretty slow and you could walk up to them and club them to death really.

Can I use an air rifle to kill nutria in the urban area of Washington County (Oregon)? I live on Fanno Creek and the nutria have tunneled under my flood wall.

How powerful a rifle is needed? How inexpensive can I go, considering that it will be for a single purpose?
Give that to some kids or grand kids! Teach youngsters to sight rifles and shoot! Heck, shoot pop cans in your yard while BBQing. There are tons of purposes.

I suggest a suppressed 5.56... or a bow fishing kit. End it quickly for them.

From 166.220;

(2) This section does not apply to:

(a) Police officers or military personnel in the lawful performance of their official duties;

(b) Persons lawfully defending life or property as provided in ORS 161.219 (Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person);

(c) Persons discharging firearms, blowguns, bows and arrows, crossbows or explosive devices upon public or private shooting ranges, shooting galleries or other areas designated and built for the purpose of target shooting;

(d) Persons lawfully engaged in hunting in compliance with rules and regulations adopted by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife; or

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

It would seem like you should be exempt under section (d), but I wouldn't try it!!

I am afraid that you are very much mistaken here. State law is totally irrelevant in this case. Air guns are not defined in Oregon law as being firearms. So ORS 166.220 does not apply. See the Oregon legal definition of a firearm:

ORS 166.210 - Definitions - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes

What is relevant is that a great many cities do have ordinances that outlaw the discharge of air guns within their city limits. However, these are just ordinance violations, and not even misdemeanors. I know that in the city of Eugene, for example, shooting an air rifle within the city limits will subject a person to a $500 fine. But that is all.

If shooting airguns in residential areas was illegal under Oregon's state law, then cities like Eugene would not bother to have ordinances outlawing such activity.

So as long as one is outside of city limits, and not trespassing on any private property, or on public land such as a park that outlaws air guns, there should be no problem at all.

Can I use an air rifle to kill nutria in the urban area of Washington County (Oregon)? I live on Fanno Creek and the nutria have tunneled under my flood wall.

How powerful a rifle is needed? How inexpensive can I go, considering that it will be for a single purpose?

Depends whether you live inside city limits or not. Do you pay city taxes? If you do, then the answer to your question is NO.

If you are outside city limits, then I see nothing in Washington County ordinances that would make discharging an air gun illegal.

Last Edited:
.22 CB caps and well placed shots, no one will be the wiser, get out the gillee suit if you need stealthy, night vision or thermal scope, yeah, you can get rid of them. Old trappers ate the heck out of them rats.

BE CAREFUL!!! This is how people get in front of a judge. Air guns are firearms here too. They did this by law a LONG time ago. I had no idea. My kids long grown, used to shoot them in the back yard for years. One day I see a story in the local about a guy being arrested for this. Neighbor called Police on him. I was shocked. Even more shocked when I checked and found there was indeed a law. How the Feds define something means squat.

Negative. Air guns are not considered to be firearms under Oregon State law. That was incorrect information posted earlier.

I doubt that there is any such state law exists in Washington either. It is generally up to local cities or counties as to whether air guns are forbidden from being discharged. So a person basically has to check with their local governments.

.22 CB caps and well placed shots, no one will be the wiser, get out the gillee suit if you need stealthy, night vision or thermal scope, yeah, you can get rid of them. Old trappers ate the heck out of them rats.

Many years ago a friend living in Eugene, OR was plagued by raccoons raiding his vegetable garden in this backyard, where he grew food for his family. They would raid his garden in the middle of the night.

So one night he went out with his 1911, and waited for them. He said that there was one large ringleader that the others seemed to follow. The raccoon was totally fearless, and stood his ground if confronted. Anyway, he plugged the raccoon with a single 230 gr Federal HydraShock Hollowpoint at about 2AM, and it instantly died. He immediately took it into his garage, so that no one could see the dead body.

Apparently a couple of his neighbors did wake up, but they were clueless as to what had happened.

I would certainly never do this myself, though. I don't think that it is at all worth it to risk becoming a felon. And a CB cap is considered a firearm under Oregon State law. So this is really not good advice, in my opinion.

A person would have to be a real risk-taker, in order to do such a thing. For the legal consequences if caught would be most serious.

Last Edited:
Long ago, south of Ashland, a girlfriend had a coon getting her chickens, from 28 originals down to three when I got there, the next night there were Two left that came in the dog door to the utility porch(smart chickens) anyway, I saw the coon go up a big Old oak tree, the rifle was her dads .22 mag with a small scope 4x, she shined the light up the tree and at the crotch the coon was started down, I got off a quick shot and hit him in the spine between the shoulder blades, dropped down heavily, the coon was so fat that I weighed it on an old scale in the Barn, 47lbs, yeah, HUGE Coon.

Negative. Air guns are not considered to be firearms under Oregon State law. That was incorrect information posted earlier.

I doubt that there is any such state law exists in Washington either. It is generally up to local cities or counties as to whether air guns are forbidden from being discharged. So a person basically has to check with their local governments.

Again this is how people get in trouble. I never said ANYTHING about OR state law. No one here that I have seen did either. People either read part of something or don't read at all then start with this kind of "advice". The OP was being warned about doing this where he lived. If there is City or county laws he runs afoul of telling the judge you said he was fine will get him no where. I guess anyone who takes advice from the net like this has only themselves to blame but I still cringe seeing it. What I also said was I was shocked when I found out the city here had passed this law. At the time my kids were still kids. We all shot in the back yard all the time. Then one day I read about a guy doing this and being arrested. People be careful about taking what anyone tells you.

One thing to consider in this discussion is the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB). Rules can apply in a UGB that wouldn't otherwise apply in say an unincorporated county area. For example, I live in unincorporated Clackamas County, just outside the OC city limits. By county rules, I am allowed to shoot a firearm on my property, so long as it's not a threat to persons or property (I don't have enough space to do that, so I wouldn't discharge firearms on my property anyway, save for self-defense), but, I'm just inside the UGB, and that means I can't shoot a firearm on my property as, for some damn reason, the UGB supercedes the county codes in regard to firearms. I can thank Metro for that crap.

Now, I know we're talking about airguns, not firearms, I'm just bringing this up to make a point. There are numerous areas of law/rules/regulations you have to check to really be certain if you are free and clear to shoot with no potential for police to show up on your doorstep.

One thing to consider in this discussion is the Urban Growth Boundary (UGB). Rules can apply in a UGB that wouldn't otherwise apply in say an unincorporated county area. For example, I live in unincorporated Clackamas County, just outside the OC city limits. By county rules, I am allowed to shoot a firearm on my property, so long as it's not a threat to persons or property (I don't have enough space to do that, so I wouldn't discharge firearms on my property anyway, save for self-defense), but, I'm just inside the UGB, and that means I can't shoot a firearm on my property as, for some damn reason, the UGB supercedes the county codes in regard to firearms. I can thank Metro for that crap.

Now, I know we're talking about airguns, not firearms, I'm just bringing this up to make a point. There are numerous areas of law/rules/regulations you have to check to really be certain if you are free and clear to shoot with no potential for police to show up on your doorstep.

:s0101:

Yep!! This is why I cringe when I read on forums someone making blanket statements about this. I can't even remember when it was they passed that stupid law here about airguns. Like I said when I found out about it I had no damn idea. My kids were shooting in the back yard all the time. None of the neighbors cared enough to call the 911 on us. When I found out about it and looked it up it had been in force for quite a while and I had just never heard of it. If the LEO's had showed up on my door over it I'm sure the judge would have no sympathy when I told him I had no idea what we were doing was illegal. Especially if I by luck of the draw got some slobbering anti gun nut all upset I was teaching my children about evil guns. :s0118:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top