JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can I use an air rifle to kill nutria in the urban area of Washington County (Oregon)? I live on Fanno Creek and the nutria have tunneled under my flood wall.

How powerful a rifle is needed? How inexpensive can I go, considering that it will be for a single purpose?

Can I use an air rifle to kill nutria in the urban area of Washington County (Oregon)? I live on Fanno Creek and the nutria have tunneled under my flood wall.

How powerful a rifle is needed? How inexpensive can I go, considering that it will be for a single purpose?
There's likely an ordinance against using an air rifle in your location.
You might have to trap them out.
You could also call the County and see if they will do it.

I had a Chesapeake that was a nutria friggin killer.
So a good 4-legged killer might be an option.

Yeah, I would definitely check with the county and the city as well. Discharging an air rifle within city limits is generally considered the same as a firearm from what I've been told.

Yeah, I would definitely check with the county and the city as well. Discharging an air rifle within city limits is generally considered the same as a firearm from what I've been told.
I am not sure about that because a air rifle is not federally classified as a firearms. The term "firearm" is defined in the Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(3), to include "(A) any weapon (including a starter gun), which will, or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon...." Based on Section 921(a)(3), air guns, because they use compressed air and not an explosive to expel a projectile, do not constitute firearms under Federal law — unless they are manufactured with the frames or receivers of an actual firearm

Just saying...

l BU2Aqm.jpg

I would buy a live trap, then bait it with poisoned food to which the Nutria are attracted. The "sheeple" won't know what happened. According to ODFW, they are non-game animals and are lawful to kill on private property without license or permit. Kill them with either a long knife or poison, no one will care.

From 166.220;

(2) This section does not apply to:

(a) Police officers or military personnel in the lawful performance of their official duties;

(b) Persons lawfully defending life or property as provided in ORS 161.219 (Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person);

(c) Persons discharging firearms, blowguns, bows and arrows, crossbows or explosive devices upon public or private shooting ranges, shooting galleries or other areas designated and built for the purpose of target shooting;

(d) Persons lawfully engaged in hunting in compliance with rules and regulations adopted by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife; or

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

It would seem like you should be exempt under section (d), but I wouldn't try it!!

I am not sure about that because a air rifle is not federally classified as a firearms. The term "firearm" is defined in the Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(3), to include "(A) any weapon (including a starter gun), which will, or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon...." Based on Section 921(a)(3), air guns, because they use compressed air and not an explosive to expel a projectile, do not constitute firearms under Federal law — unless they are manufactured with the frames or receivers of an actual firearm

BE CAREFUL!!! This is how people get in front of a judge. Air guns are firearms here too. They did this by law a LONG time ago. I had no idea. My kids long grown, used to shoot them in the back yard for years. One day I see a story in the local about a guy being arrested for this. Neighbor called Police on him. I was shocked. Even more shocked when I checked and found there was indeed a law. How the Feds define something means squat.

If your going to risk the consequences of using an air rifle, might as well use a .22 and subsonic ammo in a rifle! Would be far more effective and quieter then most any air gun!

That CCI Quiet .22 ammo is amazing stuff. The first time I tried some it impressed me. In my autos it of course would not cycle but worked fine single shot. It was amazingly accurate in both of the pistols I tried it in. Noise was on par with a good pellet rifle.

Not sure if you're talking inside Beaverton or not (you only mentioned WA county), but the city of Beaverton definitely does forbid shooting about anything (except for a loud mouth ;)).

As per Chapter 5.08 of the Beaverton City Code (for some reason the website won't let me copy the actual text, so excuse the screen shot):

bvrtn.JPG

So as you can see, just about anything, at least in Beaverton, is forbidden. Heck, it appears even just throwing a damn rock is prohibited.

I haven't found the codes for WA county on this yet, but I suspect they will be very similar.

A nice powerful .22 airgun, subsonic, with the right pellets, might just do it, and sound like nothing more than an air nailer to the neighbors, just a thought.

LOL Good luck killing a Nutria with anything short of multiple shots from a Firearm bigger then a .22LR as kids we hunted the crap out of then in the Pudding River and it was common for them to swim off after 3-4 good hits from an M1 Carbine round. Even the 30-30 would take a head hit or the things would still be swimming. They are amazingly tough.

A wrist rocket wouldn't slow one down in the least

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR