Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Now convinced that Sportsman/s is going under in Vancouver

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 9, 2009.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

After going to Sportsman's yesterday, I am now convinced that location is going out of business. They were down to a skeleton staff, the workers were pretty disgruntled, and the shelves are completely bare in the hunting department. One of the employees even had his kid with him as he was working. I overheard him say to another person "What are they going to do? Fire me?"

2. Hill

Hill pnw Member

That's bad.

I went there for my first time only two weeks ago and although for a Sunday there were very few customers, every employee I spoke with including a nice kid behind the handgun counter impressed both my wife and I with how friendly and knowledgable they seemed to be. If they'd had a 7 1/2" Uberti Scofield instead of the 5 1/2" that did have I'd have left with it.

Also we saw things for sale that we'd given up being able to find in a Vancouver brick and mortar outlet. Most especially I was glad to see the size of the reloading section of the store even though it did seem to be low on stock. I'd expect the lack of goods considering how much is being bought since the election.

3. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

Maybe the deal for the Canadian investor to buy them out is falling through. One salesperson said the deal should have been completed in January.

4. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

Portland sportsmans isn't much better. Shelves are bare, you can usually find 9mm and 22lr ammo, anything else is a crap shoot.

5. needs2hunt

needs2hunt Tacoma Wa. Member

Ya i hit the sportsman here in Federal Way and the ammo is almost zero.. along with the reloading stuff... the guy at the gun counter told me they get there alotted shipments in on Thursday if you need any ammo be there that morning...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:... i also hit Sportco and there ammo shelves seemed kinda low... picked up 4 bricks of 22lr though...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

6. Contento

Contento Seattle Member

GI Joes is filing for bankruptcy...not going out of business(yet) just re-structuring.

Hard times for sporting good stores?

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

"Joes" problems are of there own making not really related to the sporting industry.

8. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

How can that even be possible for any store that carries guns and ammo???

9. Trlsmn

Credit line dried up + over extended with their suppliers + no product available = Dark Clouds

10. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

Because that is probably only a very small portion of their business and they don't sell the "in demand" items like assault rifles as much as they sell sporting non ban style rifles probably.

11. BUZO71

BUZO71 Emerald Valley, Oregon New Member

doom and gloom, DOOM AND GLOOM

12. Abe Froman

Abe Froman West of Salem Active Member

A part of me wouldnt be sad to see them and even a few other chains go bye bye. When the big stores are gone smaller locally owned business will begin to thrive again.

13. 9mmPDX

9mmPDX 9miWofPDX Member

If there are any small locals stores left... usually the big boys come in and bleed the little guys to death.

14. Abe Froman

+1 It would be nice if the local business could make a comeback. Corporations are the death of local business.

15. Trlsmn

The last big repossession in the US saw a huge increase in small business start ups, I hope to see this happen again kind of a silver lining.

16. Abe Froman

I would much rather support someone in my community, even if it meant paying a little more.

17. Contento

Contento Seattle Member

Look for a "Wade's" opening near you soon! :laugh:

18. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

Don't count on it bucko.

19. Abe Froman

Wow, I think somebody is being a negative Nancy. LOL:D

20. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I can confirm the lack of anything by way of guns and ammo at Sportsman's in Vancouver. I went in today on the off chance there was any ammo, but just a lot of empty shelves. No 22lr, no handgun ammo to speak of, rifle ammo down to the more expensive stuff along the lines of Federal V-shok. On the other hand, if you have a 45GAP, there are still a few boxes. Shotgun ammo is the only thing they have in any quantity. Also, the handgun wall was a joke. I counted 15 total auto pistols, and 6 of those were Ruger mkIII style 22lr pistols. Just a whole lot of bare space. Now where will I get my fix? :(