JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the .30 Carbine still useful 75 years after it's introduction to the US Armed Forces?

• Yes! It still fills a substantial number of roles.

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • No, It's time has come and gone

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have never used one, so I am not sure.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I've been considering a .30 Carbine, but need more information.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have another .30 Caliber rifle that covers the .30 Carbine's "niche".

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I have a pistol caliber carbine and think that it covers shots out to 100 yards.

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
I've got me one of these for a carbine, way handier than any M4 or M1 Carbine:
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=162&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

It is the 16" version. Action was a little rough but I smoothed it out. Now if I could only figure out how to get it with a folding buttstock... ;)

If the caliber is not 9mm, or .357/38, or .223, then the carbine is not very practical.

I had a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm, liked it pretty much too, quite accurate, but I finally let it go. Guess it was the looks that bothered me.

Last Edited:
Looking at it from a practical standpoint it falls somewhere between a pistol caliber carbine and an intermediate caliber rifle and I'm not sure that's a gap that needs filling... Plus the ammo is generally more expensive than either alternative.

Of course then one has to account for cool factor and M1's far outclass something like a CX4 or AR15.

Before my AR's and back all the way to the 70's I always thought a M1 Carbine to be a good Home Defense Gun, not too big, not too small and it shoots ammunition that's not too big and not too small. I don't think it will go through more than four houses. It has fair capacity with a 15 round magazine and pretty good capacity with a 30 round magazine, I wanted one in the early 60's when they were cheap, unfortunately I was on the outs with my dad so that (And many other of my harebrained ideas) did not happen. I had several Carbines in my later tours of Vietnam, one a clapped out M-2. But they were banned as 'Personal Weapons" by that time. But it was better to obtain a M-16 which I did. It was easier to get 5.56 ammo at US bases and you had to scrounge for Carbine ammo. Too bad I could not get any of those back. In the early 80's I went to the Tulsa gun show, hoping to find one. They were all "Collector's" by then and that made them unaffordable to me (really cheap compared to now)
Anyway I am happy with my brand spanking new Inland. I don't have a bucket list but it would have been on it.

Back in the late seventies, a guy I knew needed a couple of hundred bucks and he had his late uncles Korean war M2 carbine up for sale.
We took it out to the woods and shot up all of the ammo he had inherited with it.
I didn't have the money right then and I certainly didn't have any knowledge about legal tax stamps, but I really liked that carbine.

Looking at it from a practical standpoint it falls somewhere between a pistol caliber carbine and an intermediate caliber rifle and I'm not sure that's a gap that needs filling...

That one thing fore sure....Us firearm enthusiasts are practical! Yep! :confused:

image_zpszfsuad6w.jpe
.357 mag velocities? What's not to like?
And the kids like shooting it too.

I would like to have one to hang on the wall as it was the first centerfire rifle that I ever shot, that was in USAF basic training in 1957. As I remember it was a fun shooter.

I shot a few rounds out of an original m1 and to be honest it was hard to control if I remember correctly. Seemed like a lot of muzzle climb when I rapid fired it and more felt recoil then the 308

I shot a few rounds out of an original m1 and to be honest it was hard to control if I remember correctly. Seemed like a lot of muzzle climb when I rapid fired it and more felt recoil then the 308
That would likely be the M1 Garand which fired 30-06, The .30 cal Carbine round is much less powerful, they are not much worse than a AR in 223, maybe better

I bought mine back in 1999, with a home financing refund check... almost exactly the amount needed for the Carbine. Wrote it off on my taxes as a home security system. I used to belong to an action shooter group, I would compete with Carbine, against guys with AR platforms. I did not do well, not because of the gun, but because, at the time,(maybe even now) I sucked as a shooter. I used the Carbine because the M1 was just too heavy and the 8 round clip was limiting. That being said, I love the gun. Nice, light, easy to point and shoot. Was never able to get the 30rd mags to work right. I could reload it fairly inexpensively. It filled the hole that I had in my US Military rifle collection. Now, just need get the funds for an M1A and my collection will be more complete.

Wait until you get arthritis so bad that one wrist is 3 times the size of the other and has no mobility. and you have arthritis in your neck and shoulder so that you can barely crane your neck to line up the sights and heavy and even medium recoil is your worst nightmare. Given these parameters(not by my choice) I am rapidly consolidating my guns to .22 &.32cal, and almost of them handguns. Will keep 1 9mm, .357, .40, and .38spl to keep my bases covered as nothing I own is that valuable and have ammo for all of them. I have been thinking of getting an M1 Carbine reproduction as my one rifle in addition to my .22 because of light recoil and light weight. Better to have something smaller that you can hit your target than something you can't. This winnowing will include my black powder guns including my repo Colt Walker, Rogers & Spencer, 1858 Remington and 1851 Colt. Does anyone have any comments about my M1 Carbine choice given my situation as outlined above or maybe have a better choice given my situation? And no a 12 ga double barrel shotgun is not a viable option, I still want to be in one piece and able to to fire follow up shots effectively. Thanks.

I agree with Pandaz3, AR or M-1 carbine will fill your needs just fine ( i hope) Personally, I would lean to the AR with a nice effective break/flash suppressor and really good effective ammo to feed it!

WARNING: As many here know. I am sick with 30 carbine disease. :s0125:
If you listen to my rant. Or even glance at my pictures you could be infected as well.

You have been warned!

Buy lots of WWII carbines. But always buy GI. Not reproduction.

G.I. guns have all the negatives attributed of the 30 carbine round. [I personally find no fault with it. Or any other 30 carbine attributes] :s0108: But are at least collectible WWII guns.

That. And they were made to original specifications. With specific materials and procedures.
Not that there are not better materials today. It's more that they did a fantastic job weeding out all the guns weaknesses. And in the course of making over 6 Million guns there was a lot of product development. And all guns passed a series of function and quality control tests.

I know the aftermarket 30 carbines say they are made to original specs. But there not. And don't have any real WWII history.

Just look at the new Inland shown in this months American Rifleman [May 2016] page 88.
Even though the article says on page 93

''The new carbines are produced using both steel components and stocks that meet the original G.I. specifications. Meaning parts for the new gun will interchange with those assemblies [made] during the war''.

Just compare the two paratrooper guns on page 88. The thick pistol grip and stock on the new inland is not the same as the GI gun. Neither is the stocks metalwork.

You could go as far as to ask yourself. What else has been changed?

It's this way with all the aftermarket 30 carbines. The detail and quality. As well as parts interchangeability. Are just a little off.
And if you don't notice. Or care. You may later when you study up on the 30 carbine. And all your guns lack of authenticity starts to bother you? :s0153:

The price of a real GI 30 carbine? [Paratroopers aside]. I still find nice guns cheaper than the $700-$800 price of a reproduction.
My last GI gun was $650. And it was a nice five digit Inland in a tiger striped Rock-ola, high wood stock. With two GI magazines.
The one before that was $500. And it was an I.B.M..

And when it's time to sell a GI gun. People will be there to snatch it up! [Remember that authenticity thing]?
With an aftermarket gun. Any perspective buyer will need to research your MFG and find out how it fits in with the many ''OK'' made, to crap made 30 carbines.

Of the dozen or so GI carbines I have today. All are shot, and function perfectly.
The spare GI parts I have. Like bolts and slides, will fit and operate on all the guns.
And when I hold one in my hands I wonder what action it saw? And wish it could talk.

After all. They are living Veterans of WWII. ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads