JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the .30 Carbine still useful 75 years after it's introduction to the US Armed Forces?

• Yes! It still fills a substantial number of roles.

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • No, It's time has come and gone

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have never used one, so I am not sure.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I've been considering a .30 Carbine, but need more information.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have another .30 Caliber rifle that covers the .30 Carbine's "niche".

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I have a pistol caliber carbine and think that it covers shots out to 100 yards.

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
I load a 125gr Sierra FPHP bullet and get excellent accuracy from my Blackhawk. The same round in my Carbine will shoot about 3-4" groups at 50 yards. Military sights off the bench.

Does the extra 15 grains of bullet weight correlate to the carbine's increase in group size? I thought that it just might. Why would you use a heavier weight bullet? What is to be gained?

Cor Bon's 100 grain DPX copper bullet seems to gain ground by using a lighter hollow point bullet.

Last Edited:
Welcome to the world of being held responsible for what is placed on the Internet. It's out there to be judged indefinitely. Clear and concise writing will convey the proper message. An old advertisement said it best: "People judge you by the words you use." How they are used and the message conveyed, especially in print, is the perception. Any first year Speech Communication major will tell you that: "The perception is the reality." There is no arrogance involved at all, just human nature.
I think maybe you haven't read what is expected of NWFA members. You're missing the point completely, perhaps intentionally.

1. Be excellent to each other
This ^ rule pretty much sums it up.

I think maybe you haven't read what is expected of NWFA members. You're missing the point completely, perhaps intentionally.

This ^ rule pretty much sums it up.
My last attempt at keeping you from hanging yourself. This is a really good forum to be a part of, to learn from, to socialize on. Maybe you're not interested in that type of place?

Anyway, I'm out for now, time to sling some .30 cal;)

Do we have to constantly agree before people consider themselves "respected"? I may not agree with everyone; that makes for a good horse race. I have been held in disdain. So what? I'm still alive and am not crying over it. I'll live.

Enjoy yourself.

Last Edited:
I doubt the heavier bullet does anything for accuracy, The handloads and maybe the LONGER bullet has more to do with it. As to why the heavier bullet. Well weight at speed determines the energy on target. In this case I have speeds very close to the 110gr round nose but carry 15 grs more weight in a Hollow point style bullet. If I want to put something down that's an advantage.

I dearly love the cartridge! IMHO:

a) It is a great short-range defense cartridge. (There's no doubt about how well Soft Point bullets perform in this respect). See how well this ammunition performs in ballistic gelatin at brassfetcher ballistic testing. wwwbrassfetchers.com

b) It is maneuverable.

c) With either 10, 15, or 30 rounds at your disposal it has plenty of firepower at hand.

d) Up to 150 yards, it gives up very little to the .223.

e) It is easily mastered.

f) Contrary to popular belief, it can be (and has been) used to harvest deer at moderate ranges (between 50 and 100 yards).

Does anyone (besides me) view this "war baby" as a true sporting, as well as defensive, arm?
I think the 30 carbine round is a good pistol round but the case is too small to make a good rifle round. There used to be a guy who was taking 30 carbines and re-barreling them to 45 magnum which is sort of like a 44 magnum but in 45 caliber. It delivered more energy down range. I never did get to shoot one, but I like the idea of a larger bullet and more powder for a nice little carbine like the 30. The 15 round magazines became 10 round magazines, but the ammo is hard to find and the conversion is kind of expensive.

I bought my first M-1 Carbine back in the late '60's (a Korea bring back) and have been having a ball with it ever since. I like casting and shooting my own 115 grain pointed or flat point gas check boolits, as well as loading 110 SP and FMJ bullets. I bought supplies when available and truly enjoy this "fun to shoot" carbine.

I recently bought a Ruger in .30 Carbine and usually shoot ball ammo in it. Boy, is it Loud!;)

As I have said numerous times: My friend used a Carbine; US M-1 and M-2 on several occasions w/GI ammo and never experienced a malfunction, the system operated flawlessly, and was ballistically the same as 762X25 as to it's terminal effect w/in 100 yards. Further the M-1 Carbine was far more accurate at longer ranges
end~

I just plain like this gun.
Don't hunt deer anyway, and Horace Smith & Daniel Wesson stay with me always.
In the '90's I shot some kind of practical pistol match, one part was rifles. People looked with pity on my carbine. I didn't shoot real well but every time I pulled the trigger it went Bang. The guys shooting AR-whatevers could not say the same. One just broke in half, one refused to fire & I disremember what the third one did except it mostly was real quiet.
l did bungle but my carbine went Bang.
I like that in a gun.

The idea of the military Carbine - the M1 Carbine - Is a good one.

The current M4 fits that same role.

Shorter over all length - easier to get in out and around vehicles
Easier to master than a pistol
Easier to use than a pistol
Therefore, for non-combat troops (cooks, drivers, Officers, Airman) a much better choice than a pistol.
See also the P90 and Calico.

The 30 caliber - and I am not going to look up ballistics charts - I think was about as effective as a 357 magnum. (which work really well in lever guns) (or this one )
So, why not the carbine in 45 ACP ? The WW2 Army already had that ammo and was issuing it. Had it been me, I would have gone that route. Less different ammo is better for logistics
-- There were some contenders for a 45 Carbine.

For today:
How about a carbine for home use - why not in 45 (or even 9 mm given the current self defense ammo ) ?
How about one of those kits that converts your pistol - typically a Block - into a carbine ?

How about an AR in pistol caliber?
Or 5.56 / 223 defense ?
Or for that matter a Ruger Mini ?
Why not a lever gun ? .357 / 44 mag / 45 Long Colt / 30-30 / lots of options
Or a Bull-Pup ?

7.62 x 39 anyone?

And for home defense, if you are at carbine length, perhaps with a folding or telescoping stock, then when you add a suppressor, you are not unwieldy.

For cartridges, for home defense, I would suggest that hog hunting calibers would be effective for HD application.

* Did I just dis-respect the USAF? NutNFancy flashed into mind and there you go.
** I just grabbed the top Google search results for the ballistics links.
*** logistics, one of the major reasons the Colt SAA was chosen over the S&W
**** I would totally get an M1 Carbine, from the CMP, if the government would lift the stupid ban and allow them back in the country.

hqdefault.jpg
M2CarbineGTAPage3.jpg

glock_full_full-tfb.jpe

3119b6d95ffe8b4e4a83847ab7400b11.jpg

eb8eef7e075c99b316387873f9a9adb0.jpg
fgg-s-kpos-glock-carbine-2.jpg

Just opened my American Rifleman and what do I spy ?

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ar_201605/#/4

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ar_201605/#/90

What a whole discussion on the 30 carbine cartridge?! Yeppers.

Now if it only didn't have that really scary bayonet lug ...
Just for you O' Scaredy Cat, Inland offers their 1944 version without that big scary bayonet lug, I wanted one to prove I'm macho! So I got the 1945 version
Seriously they are coming out with new models at Ruger's pace it seems. They now have a "Jungle' version, a "Scout" carbine, the "Advisor Pistol" and they already had the "Paratroop" model.

Don't want a M1 Carbine based firearm? They have a trench shotgun and a version of a 1911.

Oops sorry to mention the shotgun, it has a bayonet lug!

I have to say I LOVE that little carbine! I really hate the round, but who cares, its a fun to shoot little gun. Practical, Maybe, maybe not. Would I choose to carry one as a PDW, HELL NO!!! For me there is no nitch that needs fillin and even if there was, this would not be it!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top