JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the .30 Carbine still useful 75 years after it's introduction to the US Armed Forces?

• Yes! It still fills a substantial number of roles.

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • No, It's time has come and gone

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have never used one, so I am not sure.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I've been considering a .30 Carbine, but need more information.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have another .30 Caliber rifle that covers the .30 Carbine's "niche".

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I have a pistol caliber carbine and think that it covers shots out to 100 yards.

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
Me thinks I'm just going to keep shooting my Saginaw and pass it down to the next custodian of history who will appreciate WW2 history, and the guns that helped win, and shape us who we are!

I like the guns of WWII... For the most part. The M1 Garand, the Springfield 1903, SVT-40, the arisaka, etc...

But I don't think I care for the M1 carbine too much. To each their own.

Well I am proud of my New Inland and it's cast receiver, it's a quality product. I do not know enough about the correctness of this or that to put a value on a collector piece, so I shy away from the WWII and Korea Veteran guns.

Well I am proud of my New Inland and it's cast receiver, it's a quality product. I do not know enough about the correctness of this or that to put a value on a collector piece, so I shy away from the WWII and Korea Veteran guns.

I get it.

If you don't swim. You stay out of the water.

I guess I spent too much time in the water. Now I'm drowning in old WWII guns.:D

If you're ever interested you are on the right forum though. People here know more about these guns than I do about anything. :eek:

The funny thing about this thread and all of the original posters threads, is that he picked up his toys and went home, never to be heard from again, until today.

WARNING: As many here know. I am sick with 30 carbine disease. :s0125:
If you listen to my rant. Or even glance at my pictures you could be infected as well.

You have been warned!

Buy lots of WWII carbines. But always buy GI. Not reproduction.

G.I. guns have all the negatives attributed of the 30 carbine round. [I personally find no fault with it. Or any other 30 carbine attributes] :s0108: But are at least collectible WWII guns.

That. And they were made to original specifications. With specific materials and procedures.
Not that there are not better materials today. It's more that they did a fantastic job weeding out all the guns weaknesses. And in the course of making over 6 Million guns there was a lot of product development. And all guns passed a series of function and quality control tests.

I know the aftermarket 30 carbines say they are made to original specs. But there not. And don't have any real WWII history.

Just look at the new Inland shown in this months American Rifleman [May 2016] page 88.
Even though the article says on page 93

''The new carbines are produced using both steel components and stocks that meet the original G.I. specifications. Meaning parts for the new gun will interchange with those assemblies [made] during the war''.

Just compare the two paratrooper guns on page 88. The thick pistol grip and stock on the new inland is not the same as the GI gun. Neither is the stocks metalwork.

You could go as far as to ask yourself. What else has been changed?

It's this way with all the aftermarket 30 carbines. The detail and quality. As well as parts interchangeability. Are just a little off.
And if you don't notice. Or care. You may later when you study up on the 30 carbine. And all your guns lack of authenticity starts to bother you? :s0153:

The price of a real GI 30 carbine? [Paratroopers aside]. I still find nice guns cheaper than the $700-$800 price of a reproduction.
My last GI gun was $650. And it was a nice five digit Inland in a tiger striped Rock-ola, high wood stock. With two GI magazines.
The one before that was $500. And it was an I.B.M..

And when it's time to sell a GI gun. People will be there to snatch it up! [Remember that authenticity thing]?
With an aftermarket gun. Any perspective buyer will need to research your MFG and find out how it fits in with the many ''OK'' made, to crap made 30 carbines.

Of the dozen or so GI carbines I have today. All are shot, and function perfectly.
The spare GI parts I have. Like bolts and slides, will fit and operate on all the guns.
And when I hold one in my hands I wonder what action it saw? And wish it could talk.

After all. They are living Veterans of WWII. ;)

Ahhh...Quit dancin' around the topic Medic and tell us how you REALLy feel, would ya'!? ;)

The funny thing about this thread and all of the original posters threads, is that he picked up his toys and went home, never to be heard from again, until today.

@jbett98 , me thinks you may be confused. Captain O started this thread, and the same kind of thread on AR 15, then got mad when people disagreed with him and took his ball and went home. I believe you're thinking of Dunehopper who just came back today, I bet he realized he really DOES belong here after all!

Agree with Medic! but would add -

I have shot the Ruger .556 and my ~original M1 carbine. The M1 is much more pleasant to shoot. If that date on your Driver's Licence is giving you problems (and it is me), I'd stick with the M1.

Definitely get a real one, not that Artist's Conception by Inland.

Saying "Modern Materials" are better is pure (?) B.S.

Materials today are chosen for ease of manufacture, and not durability of the arm. So say I, a metallurgist since JFK was still around.

A semi-auto carbine with high-capacity detachable magazine, firing a round equivalent to the .357 Magnum, with a proven combat record in the hands of millions of soldiers, is not going to be 'outdated', or 'obsolete'. Better options are now available, but for anything up to and including 150 yards, the M1 Carbine is a perfectly acceptable choice. If you don't like it, say so, if you think your Remchester ABC-16 in .333 Doohickey is the cat's meow, OK, fine, but the M1 Carbine is still a valid choice and not to be denigrated.

I understand everything you guy's are saying! I like the historical aspects of them, and they're.....well....cute.

They just don't drop the hammer on my accelerator.

I don't hunt anymore, I just plain like the M1 carbine.
For home defense, well, I do NOT leave a loaded weapon unattended. My .38 is always loaded & at hand. Current "social" conditions are such that I might need something more around the house. Specifically I need a quick-to-load semi auto. Of what I have, that means M1 or Browning 9mm. Prefer .30 carbine ballistics, with soft nose bullet.

Anyway, I like the M1 carbine.

A semi-auto carbine with high-capacity detachable magazine, firing a round equivalent to the .357 Magnum, with a proven combat record in the hands of millions of soldiers, is not going to be 'outdated', or 'obsolete'. Better options are now available, but for anything up to and including 150 yards, the M1 Carbine is a perfectly acceptable choice. If you don't like it, say so, if you think your Remchester ABC-16 in .333 Doohickey is the cat's meow, OK, fine, but the M1 Carbine is still a valid choice and not to be denigrated.

Where can I get this new Remchester ABC-16 in .333 doohickey you speak of?:rolleyes:

It sounds like the bee's knees!
Brutus Out

I bought some Underwood " <broken link removed> " ammunition before it was reviewed, (They make the round in .30 Carbine and .32 Auto) anyway it is better than most of the soft nose with regard to penetration and still get the expansion too. I had bought some Remington soft nose prior and I can always go back to it for Home Defense if need be. The first link gives a written description, and the second a super video.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top