JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the .30 Carbine still useful 75 years after it's introduction to the US Armed Forces?

• Yes! It still fills a substantial number of roles.

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • No, It's time has come and gone

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have never used one, so I am not sure.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I've been considering a .30 Carbine, but need more information.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have another .30 Caliber rifle that covers the .30 Carbine's "niche".

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I have a pistol caliber carbine and think that it covers shots out to 100 yards.

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
I dearly love the cartridge! IMHO:

a) It is a great short-range defense cartridge. (There's no doubt about how well Soft Point bullets perform in this respect). See how well this ammunition performs in ballistic gelatin at brassfetcher ballistic testing. wwwbrassfetchers.com

b) It is maneuverable.

c) With either 10, 15, or 30 rounds at your disposal it has plenty of firepower at hand.

d) Up to 150 yards, it gives up very little to the .223.

e) It is easily mastered.

f) Contrary to popular belief, it can be (and has been) used to harvest deer at moderate ranges (between 50 and 100 yards).

Does anyone (besides me) view this "war baby" as a true sporting, as well as defensive, arm?

Last Edited:
I think it's a useful, simple and stout little carbine. I've had a few Inland's over the years but don't have one at present. I won't be getting another as I really have no practical use for one around here.

I like the carbine. It is fun and easy to shoot.
At one time I owned a '43 dated Inland. Sure was a neat little rifle.
As a history buff the Carbine interests me . You do see it in lots of photos and newsreels.
My carbine with a 110 hollow point , sure would have made a light and accurate rifle for small game and home defense.
I know the Carbine has taken deer , but I think there are better cartridges for deer ...
If funds were better , a Rockola like my dad carried in Korea might be nice to have.
But being on a budget I need to stick with guns that I will shoot or have a use for.
The Carbine as fun and historic as it is , has no real room in my collection.
Andy

Ammo and brass are spendy and can be hard to come by when the panic balloon goes up. But they are nice to shoot once you have a stockpile.

Other than that, it's a glaring hole in my US small arms collection, and I will likely add one at some point, whether surplus or one of the new-made reproductions.

Not a fan. I don't hate them, and I get that they're fun, but back when I owned a pair they were expensive to shoot. I have a little problem with the original military purpose. "Hand me that big, ol', heavy Garand, please!" It may be that I'm comfortable with the 5.56/.223 because I've been a varmint hunter for most of my life. I'm not down on a .30 bullet, I trained on, and carried an M-14 in the Army and own and shoot a M-1A. It's just that ones a rifle and the other ain't!:D

my cousin hunts with a blackhawk in .30 and it does well.

IMO, there are zero calibers who's time has come and gone. But I will say the closest thing that comes to that is the .40 :p

j/k.

Inside a house or building I would take the 30 carbine over a 7.62X51 but I would much prefer a short barreled shotgun over either. IMHO​

i keep hearing that ammo is expensive?? A little over $20.00 for 50 remans doesn't seem that bad? Cheaper that .357 or 10mm, or? $122.00 for 500 Starline brass. Plus, it should be an easy reload. Not cheap, but once you invest in the components you'll have a lot makin's that will last a long time.

It's just that ones a rifle and the other ain't!:D

Obviously you think that the .30 Carbine isn't a rifle. I don't want to "rain on your parade" but the .30 Carbine is, and always has been a "light rifle" generating peak pressures of 38,500 psi. (The only pistol cartridge that exceeds this is the 9x23 Winchester).

This is a common error. Of all people, I thought that you would know better. I am certain that you're sharper than this.

Last Edited:
Oh my laurd.... The 5.56 is a punky lil bee-och but the .30 Carbine is the bee's Knee's!

Yeah, Not.

Next you'll be telling us that .380 Auto is the best concealed carry round :eek:

Last Edited:
I load a 125gr Sierra FPHP bullet and get excellent accuracy from my Blackhawk. The same round in my Carbine will shoot about 3-4" groups at 50 yards. Military sights off the bench.

Oh my laurd.... The 5.56 is a punky lil bee-och but the .30 Carbine is the bee's Knee's!

Yeah, Not.

Next you'll be telling us that .380 Auto is the best concealed carry round :eek:

Sorry, but no. I never did trust the .380. Still don't. Too much mass, too little power. For the same case length, I'll take a .32 ACP, thank you very much.

Obviously you think that the .30 Carbine isn't a rifle. I don't want to "rain on your parade" but the .30 Carbine is, and always has been a "light rifle" generating peak pressures of 38,500 psi. (The only pistol cartridge that exceeds this is the 9x23 Winchester).

This is a common error. Of all people, I thought that you would know better. I am certain that you're sharper than this.
Dude. Really? Semantics much?
Is there a reason you call it a carbine? Could it be because you see it as being different than what you would typically call a rifle, just like everyone else? Is it possible that what he was saying is that one is a REAL rifle?
I'm thinking you would do well to step down from your high horse and lighten up a bit. Who gives a sh!t what you or I like and don't like? It's fine to discuss, and even disagree, but stop with the I-know-best rhetoric. It's grown old and soon no one will even take the time to disagree with you.

Dude. Really? Semantics much?
Is there a reason you call it a carbine? Could it be because you see it as being different than what you would typically call a rifle, just like everyone else? Is it possible that what he was saying is that one is a REAL rifle?
I'm thinking you would do well to step down from your high horse and lighten up a bit. Who gives a sh!t what you or I like and don't like? It's fine to discuss, and even disagree, but stop with the I-know-best rhetoric. It's grown old and soon no one will even take the time to disagree with you.

Let's see... "That one's a rifle the other ain't". I didn't write this. (Poor English skills notwithstanding).

Try again.

Welcome to the world of being held responsible for what is placed on the Internet. It's out there to be judged indefinitely. Clear and concise writing will convey the proper message. An old advertisement said it best: "People judge you by the words you use." How they are used and the message conveyed, especially in print, is the perception. Any first year Speech Communication major will tell you that: "The perception is the reality." There is no arrogance involved at all, just human nature.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top