JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My best friend sent me this link and I ordered the shirt for myself faster than the next text came in saying it was going to be my birthday present :s0114: :s0140::s0092:

"Not A Pepper Spray Kind Of Girl" T-Shirt - Shirts - Apparel | GLOCK USA

I purchased a new handgun last week for my collection and naturally found a day to get some shooting time in. However, being mostly self taught, it's hard to know what I'm doing right or wrong without an experienced shooter with me to give me pointers. I learned gun safety and the basics of how my handguns work from the CHL class I took, so I'm not concerned about that. Just working more on shooting accuracy. I found that watching videos before heading out helped! What are some of your favorites?

I am not sure if anything beats actual instruction with trigger time. A lot of shooting is fundamentals, but a lot of it is very personal to the shooter. If something is working for you, build around it. I'm always open to try new things, but I have to have a desired end result tobe the reason to change. If I'm not getting that result, I move on.

You want to get to the point where your fundamentals allow you to not worry about the gun, but use it as an extension of yourself as you deal with the target/threat.

Just my two cents...

Once you find a safe and practicable carrying and shooting method , that works well for you...
Nothing beats practice...until your method is second nature.

Practice in the :
Rain..
When its hot..
Inside and outside...
Different lighting...
When you are tired...
Anything that is "normal" range shooting , like say at a pistol range , to casual plinking at a gravel pit...
Practice...and more practice with the method that works for you....
Which may indeed be different than what someone else does...but they are not you and not in your situation.
Andy

You want to learn to shoot accurately?:oops:I say get a target 22 auto pistol.
Ruger 5.5 inch bull barrel would be an excellent choice. Many manufactures and models
to choose from. See what fits you best. Trigger control is an important fundamental.
The low recoil 22 pistol will teach you not to flinch. Mind over flinch. ;) my .02$.

I second that you should get training. But here are the best skills I have found.

Basically anything by John Lovell or Bob Vogel.

These techniques work great with glocks.

I wouldn't stress about tiny groups. You need to dry fire enough to break your flinch, and then it is mostly grip and sight alignment. I chased tiny groups for a long time, and my skills were pretty stagnant (in terms of speed)

Shooting at a 8-12" piece of steel (or paper plate indoors) at 7-10 yards is plenty accurate enough for HD, and CCW in my opinion, and the important thing is speed and draw times.

Good luck!

Paul Harrell as suggested above. PNW'r, and gives great thorough instructional videos.

Hickock 45, for anything we're thinking about getting & which he has reviewed.

If you don't have any family or friends who shoot now, maybe take a practical pistol class. No suggestions there though.

Second to that, perhaps hook up with some folks over on the women's section whom have more experience than yourself?

Shooting with friends who have been into it about there entire lives, as well as a few who have taken a bunch of practical classes has helped correct some minor "not great form" for us, and create some excellent habits.

We need more work on off hand, simulated wounded work (one arm out of action etc), and a bunch more. But having folks around to give guidance, & then go practice on our own helps immensely.

My best friend sent me this link and I ordered the shirt for myself faster than the next text came in saying it was going to be my birthday present :s0114: :s0140::s0092:

I purchased a new handgun last week for my collection and naturally found a day to get some shooting time in. However, being mostly self taught, it's hard to know what I'm doing right or wrong without an experienced shooter with me to give me pointers. I learned gun safety and the basics of how my handguns work from the CHL class I took, so I'm not concerned about that. Just working more on shooting accuracy. I found that watching videos before heading out helped! What are some of your favorites?

Sage dynamics, Garand Thumb are both fun, educated and informative youtube gun people. Watching videos relevant to what you want to work on and then applying those skills and reflecting could be helpful.

Garand thumb, sage dynamics, Haley strategic, instructor zero, 'tactical rifleman,'

Everyone's got their own opinion on what is best to do and why, but by getting more informed and trying new skills/methods people can find what works best for them.

Dry fire practice is also very helpful. Using no ammo you can practice a lot of the fundamentals that transition to improved shooting performance.

I think he's the most under rated YouTube channel on the subject in the industry. Every piece of content incorporates a performance and logic based decision making process for 'why' and 'how' something is a good choice or not.

I agree. I think people ignore him because he is very serious with no comedic relief, and he exemplifies the typical "oakley tool" look, along with the "uhhhhh" in between every 5 words.

But get past those things and they are great videos! Haha

1st of all I'm ordering that shirt for my wife:D

Can't really add much to the above advice. I would suggest that you seek out a good instructor in your area and pony up for a few lessons if you don't really know anyone that is a more experienced shooter that you could go with. Check out some gun clubs in your area. Check out the local ranges for Ladies Nights. That's a big thing at one of the ranges down here. They give major discounts to the Ladies on purchases that night and all instruction is free. They even provide refreshments.
Get some snap caps and practice drawing and dry firing in front of a mirror-full length if you have one.

Two things really helped me when I was hot n heavy into IPSC.

My shooting partner and I used a camcorder to record ourselves during practice sessions. Helps to actually see what you're doing right or wrong. You can see what your instructor sees.

I used a .22lr conversion on my pistol. It's a good way to stretch your practice dollar. I would shoot anywhere from 250-500 rns of .22 running the same drills as I did with full power loads then switch to the full power loads and run the drills. I know many poopoo them but I have a .22 conversion for every pistol/rifle that I can get them for.

Thanks for your replies guys! Sounds like I'm on the right track from what you're all saying.
@No_Regerts I agree that instruction with trigger time would be the best, but I'd like some recommendations vs. just signing up for one listed on a range's website, if that makes sense. Also, when I went up last week I focused on hand grip, which you suggested to me before, watched a couple videos on that and it made a world of a difference. No brass ejecting back at me!

I know what works for one may not work for me so I'm definitely trying to find my method. I try to get out to practice as often as I can. I've explored the local indoor ranges. I prefer outdoor, but I feel going alone up a gravel pit isn't the greatest of ideas.

I just picked up a Ruger SR22! Fun little pistol. The sights needed to be severely adjusted and I didn't have a small enough screw driver with me to do so so that was a bust. So I mostly practiced with my Glock 19. I carry a G42, but it is just too small in my hand and I'm just not feeling it. I want to shoot a G43 and maybe move up to that.

Flinch was the other thing I worked on last week. And I did have someone recording me so I could go back and see what I was doing.

@Camelfilter "women's section" so the one I posted in? I've been invited to the Ladies League at TriCounty.... however have you seen the qualifications for that? :eek: I have some work to do... to say the least. I've also been looking into The Well Armed Woman, but I'm unable to attend their next meeting at TD.

@Tully Mars It's my new favorite shirt! I hope she likes it too. Runs a little big for woman's sizing BTW, but I also haven't washed it so I'm not sure how shrinking is going to go.

@Certaindeaf A beard huh? That may be helpful to get "taken serious" at the Cabela's counter.... but we won't get started on that on this thread.... :s0126:

It's a cute shirt. And will get you attention from all the boys. :rolleyes:
Not sure I would advertise I carry a gun.

If your weaker and smaller than your potential attacker. An element of surprise coupled with your weapon and ability to use it. May actually save your life.

Thanks for your replies guys! Sounds like I'm on the right track from what you're all saying...

Your welcome & yah you are!

...@Camelfilter "women's section" so the one I posted in? I've been invited to the Ladies League at TriCounty.... however have you seen the qualifications for that? :eek: I have some work to do... to say the least. I've also been looking into The Well Armed Woman, but I'm unable to attend their next meeting at TD.

...Dohhh! Missed that, me apologies...

. I prefer outdoor, but I feel going alone up a gravel pit isn't

I am sure there are plenty of guys or gals on here willing to go with you. I am a little too far away.

Also, be careful with personal instruction from fellow shooters. Even really good shooters may make bad teachers, and some people shoot well using bad technique through brute force.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews