JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was just wondering if I could get a good swing out there, which I think is what Reno911 means by their answer. Thanks for the input, I'll stick to rifles when I check out these lanes.
I'll save the clays for the gun club.

Last Edited:
Clays are an acceptable target for use when recreationally shooting on public lands.

I deleted my post because it wasn't productive to the conversation.
I'll follow suite, and edit my post to recant any unnessary banter.

Clays are an acceptable target for use when recreationally shooting on public lands.
They are, and being as frugile as I possibly can I am eager to find an acceptable place to shoot them. Such a place to me would be a rock quarry with sufficient space or a designated shooting area, so I figured I would inquire.

This spot really does seem oriented towards rifle and pistol shooting, and maybe patterning shotguns, but I would like to do some research before getting there if able.
Edit: :)

Ya, they wouldn't be the most fun for throwing clays. I haven't been to Hillsboro Gun Club in a while, but they are not that expensive. They just have weird days of operation.

There are some good pits out there. Browns Camp pit is perfect for clays. The one up Salmonberry Road isn't too bad for clays either.

Ya, they wouldn't be the most fun for throwing clays. I haven't been to Hillsboro Gun Club in a while, but they are not that expensive. They just have weird days of operation.

There are some good pits out there. Browns Camp pit is perfect for clays. The one up Salmonberry Road isn't too bad for clays either.
That may be why I haven't been yet, and stopped looking into it.

Brown's camp was another place I have been considering, and still yet to attend. I'll bring along the thrower whenever I go there then.
And I will probably scout the salmonberry area while winter stealheading this winter.

I'm going to try wolf creek first, and from some earlier posts it seems like i may be able to come back with some bragging rights if i go soon. ;)

Yep. Our improvement work has been delayed a bit. When we start, soon, we'll make it well known!

Water & a shovel for sure! (Or fire extinguisher & shovel). In fact, simply driving in the forest requires water and a shovel in your vehicle.

Trash bags are a must because clean up is required by law.

Steel is okay but be sure to keep it in the middle of the lane and away from the grassy sides.

Have a great time!

Went up there today, and left with more than I brought. Only a small bag full of some trash somebody left. If only i had a truck and a rake with me...

This is a great place for rifles and pistols, but i'm glad i didn't bother with the pidgeon thrower. This is the best place I've found so far, and extremely easy to access (no lowriders tho).

Thank you to all the guys who make this place possible.

Went up there today, and left with more than I brought. Only a small bag full of some trash somebody left. If only i had a truck and a rake with me...

This is a great place for rifles and pistols, but i'm glad i didn't bother with the pidgeon thrower. This is the best place I've found so far, and extremely easy to access (no lowriders tho).

Thank you to all the guys who make this place possible.
That might have been my bag... Where was it at? was it WAY down from the improved lanes? I was there last night and picked up a ton of shotgun shells (not my own)and I think I accidently left one of the bags on a stump. It would be a plastic grocery sack.

That might have been my bag... Where was it at? was it WAY down from the improved lanes? I was there last night and picked up a ton of shotgun shells (not my own)and I think I accidently left one of the bags on a stump. It would be a plastic grocery sack.
I picked up the trash from the lane 1 and filled a bag i brought. I didn't know they had initiated a plan where we could leave trash near the entrance yet, so i took it home. I would definitely be more eager to clean up more if I knew i could leave it to be pick up later.
Were you the the guy in lane 4 around mid afternoon? They seemed to pick up a bit, but there is about a truck load in lane 1 and 4 alone.

Edit: mostly shot wad and destroyed targets... so i see how people get a little upset with the mess shotguns leave (or rather the shooters using shotguns leave).

I picked up the trash from the lane 1 and filled a bag i brought. I didn't know they had initiated a plan where we could leave trash near the entrance yet, so i took it home. I would definitely be more eager to clean up more if I knew i could leave it to be pick up later.
Were you the the guy in lane 4 around mid afternoon? They seemed to pick up a bit, but there is about a truck load in lane 1 and 4 alone.

Edit: mostly shot wad and destroyed targets... so i see how people get a little upset with the mess shotguns leave (or rather the shooters using shotguns leave).
No I was off a ways, I drive way back then I hike back a little bit... I think I was there from 5to 7ish. I also often shoot airguns so try to find spots conducive for that and out of everyones way where I can set up a bench. Stereotypically shotgun shells seem to cluster all over the places I like. Also strange targets, I often find dozens of airgun CO2 cartridges placed out as targets, and you want to talk about dangerous, personally knew a kid years ago that got messed up from that. Don't get me wrong, it's only a matter of time before I own a 410 or 20 to shoot clays, just on average I pick up/find more trash from that crowd.

Haha was that you and your partner sharing lane 4 w/ the 3 of us today? I picked up a smidge but nowhere near as much as I would've liked. Driver was kinda rushing things along because he didn't want to hit traffic back into Portland. Snagged some sharp pieces of bent up metal left behind in the 100y backstop, scraps of plastic about the place and some shotgun casings downrange. Wasn't very good about spent brass because I spaced on a rake. Also left one makeshift target backing behind at the behest of my friends. Argued that more people would pull in and make use of it since it was ~1pm, but I felt iffy on that one. Should be pack in, pack out.

Also, how's everyone feel about the wood posts that get left behind in the area? Garbage it up? We managed to salvage a couple on-site to pound in & staple cardboard backers+targets to. And I think some people use them to stand up clays. I'm personally more concerned with all the plastic about the place. I don't own any shotguns, but I can understand the sentiment there now.

All said, was fun but definitely intend to set aside more clean-up time on subsequent trips. Don't want this place looking like some of the horror shows near Estacada.

Simply put, you bring it in, you bring it out.

Exceptions only to the bullets themselves and clays.

Anything used as a target should be packed back out.

This is why I promote steel targets myself. Or other targets that I would consider an investment.

I don't see things that are in a sense, trash to begin with, good targets.

Remember, your image on these lanes, shows others the right and or wrong ways. Even if you pack everything out. Shooting 2 liters shows others that may not pack out, it's ok to do so.

Haha was that you and your partner sharing lane 4 w/ the 3 of us today? I picked up a smidge but nowhere near as much as I would've liked. Driver was kinda rushing things along because he didn't want to hit traffic back into Portland. Snagged some sharp pieces of bent up metal left behind in the 100y backstop, scraps of plastic about the place and some shotgun casings downrange. Wasn't very good about spent brass because I spaced on a rake. Also left one makeshift target backing behind at the behest of my friends. Argued that more people would pull in and make use of it since it was ~1pm, but I felt iffy on that one. Should be pack in, pack out.

Also, how's everyone feel about the wood posts that get left behind in the area? Garbage it up? We managed to salvage a couple on-site to pound in & staple cardboard backers+targets to. And I think some people use them to stand up clays. I'm personally more concerned with all the plastic about the place. I don't own any shotguns, but I can understand the sentiment there now.

All said, was fun but definitely intend to set aside more clean-up time on subsequent trips. Don't want this place looking like some of the horror shows near Estacada.
No, we came up and looked around, but figured it would be a little crowded so went back down to lane 1. Probably a good thing because we weren't sure if the Ross was going to shoot out its bolt or not, but it was all put together properly and it worked out well until the Ross decided it hated the ammo we brought and broke a neck off in the chamber. LoL the joy of shooting milsurp!

I always pack it out and don't brag about it. If we must know, i had two bags of trash, but one of them was purely other's garbage. Filled one with my own brass and some of other's, but there was just too much for me. I'm glad you did a little bit to help out as well.

I would use a wood post if somebody had left it, but I would never bring one. However if i see a bunch of splintered wood and trash, i might avoid that area for fear of running into "the wrong sort"... lol KEEP IT CLEAN! ;)

Pack it in, pack it out!

Yup, Hillsboro Trap and Skeet Club on Wren Road. Open Wednesday's, Saturday's and Sunday's... Id Second the recommendation. Used to be a regular, great group of guys here...
I'll look into it again soon, thanks for the positive feedback about the place. Never know what you're getting into with people! LoL

You guys are doing great! Thanks for taking out what you brought and the extras!

It is important we keep up on the trash stuff at these lanes. ODF is keeping an eye on how we care for them and it means the difference of getting new lanes or not. It shows them we value that place and claim ownership of it by caring for it and using it properly. The more people that do what you guys do, the better off we all are!

It's always good to casually mention, to other shooters, that you picked up extra trash and are disgusted at how people are leaving their crap behind. You don't have to point the finger at them, or tell them to clean it up, just mention what you are doing in a conversation. They'll get the idea.

The general idea is to take home what you can and consider it your contribution to the lanes, (or at any other dispersed shooting site in the forest). As more and more people contribute in this way, we keep the volume down and consistently present a clean and valued place to shoot. Leaving extra bags out by the roadway is okay, if you have to, but be sure to let us know so we can muster up someone to grab them on their next trip (otherwise they'll get opened up and spread around before ODF can send a crew out).

Personally, I hate seeing the lumber and pallets left behind ("for the next guy"). The next guy thinks, since he didn't bring it, he doesn't have to take it. More and more builds up and then it's too overwhelming for anyone to clean it out. I've been pushing for buying target stands, and like Reno911, invest in reusable targets. You'll have an investment out there and won't want to leave it for the next guy (if it's valuable, someone will take it!).

We recently had a nice guy, named Cal, who build some really nice shooting tables and donated two of them out at the lanes for other people to enjoy. Sure enough, they we gone in less than a week. Those tables were valued at about $150 each, if he were to sell them. Most of us wouldn't do that and I'm sure if you spent time and/or money to purchase reusable targets and stands, you wouldn't leave them out there either.

Thanks all! Good work!

You guys are doing great! Thanks for taking out what you brought and the extras!

.... I've been pushing for buying target stands, and like Reno911, invest in reusable targets. You'll have an investment out there and won't want to leave it for the next guy (if it's valuable, someone will take it!).

We recently had a nice guy, named Cal, who build some really nice shooting tables and donated two of them out at the lanes for other people to enjoy. Sure enough, they we gone in less than a week. Those tables were valued at about $150 each, if he were to sell them. Most of us wouldn't do that and I'm sure if you spent time and/or money to purchase reusable targets and stands, you wouldn't leave them out there either.

Thanks all! Good work!
That is messed up! I will probably be upset about that for a while. No matter how bad I wanted a bench, to steal one from a public lane is pretty low.

So I have a question regarding etiquette or safety... I have criteria I look for when I want to shoot centerfire in a non specific area… I mostly just do load development at 80-100 yards (would love longer just haven't tried too hard to find a location and feel more comfortable shooting longer at a designated range or club) and I bring out a large a-frame business sign from my old business and I tape targets onto it. I always place the target lower, directly in front of one of the mountain sides, or very large berm (for lack of better word) with depth such that I can rest easy that the bullet would have to defy physics to get through, and in an area that is mostly dirt with little vegetation. My question is, would a large steel target be a better option for safety (personal and environmental) concerns or is my current method better? I'm asking specifically for my method, not for other methods. I have no experience at all with a steel target but am thinking it might actually be a good idea for my straight on shooting.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top