JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im in that boat, so I only haul out 1 garbage bag. If I recall, some people bag it and leave it there and post here or call the forest manager to pick up...
If I recall you can leave where the trailer is on the way in and they'll coordinate the rest. I could be wrong but I think someone here mentioned that.

I didn't happen to see a trailer today. Was just myself a nice gentleman In a Volvo at line 4 and a good ol boy at Lane 1 not even shooting just drinking. But I checked his lane at least he cleaned up after himself... Hope He made it home OK! :s0005:

Last Edited:
Great day! A bunch a beer and CHOOTIN". :s0123:

From what I'm reading about "OUR" sites it sounds like a 1-10 ratio....1 person is supposed to pick up after 10 pissant pigs! Sounds like a fun trip to "The Range"! :s0154: Not!

City of "Snowflakes" only picks up garbage every other week. We do our best to recycle but with only a 20 gal can there isn't room for squat after two weeks. It seems at this point we, the volunteers, have created a place most convenient for the lowest of forest users/target shooters to go. I'm proud. :s0154:

It seems at this point we, the volunteers, have created a place most convenient for the lowest of forest users/target shooters to go. I'm proud.

yup, we created this monster knowing it would be a monster. The idea is the trash is concentrated in one place, easier to clean because its developed and that also safe because naturally they have a proper backstop.

I admit I don't normally shoot there, because I have issues with being muzzle swept, and folks drinking beer and shooting. But if I'm in the area I'll swing by and pick up a bag of trash and haul off. Along with any bag of trash I collect from where I go. (I was disappointed to find shooting trash at my secret spot I use last summer)

I don't really know what else can be done besides all of us picking up after the slobs. Its unfair.

I had the same thoughts. WE created this place. As I understand from reading here you pretty much have to get up there early, or not get a lane. If you do get a lane your going to have to spend a bunch of time cleaning, (if you are a "Responsible User" that is), and there's no room in my garbage at home.

What we, as volunteers, have done here is create a 4-lane garbage dump for the West Valley trash to recreate and destroy. And as the proverbial "Poke in the eye with a sharp stick" is WE can't even get in to use the place half the time from what it sounds like.

I had the same thoughts. WE created this place. As I understand from reading here you pretty much have to get up there early, or not get a lane. If you do get a lane your going to have to spend a bunch of time cleaning, (if you are a "Responsible User" that is), and there's no room in my garbage at home.

What we, as volunteers, have done here is create a 4-lane garbage dump for the West Valley trash to recreate and destroy. And as the proverbial "Poke in the eye with a sharp stick" is WE can't even get in to use the place half the time from what it sounds like.

yup. Another reason why I still go to my secret spot in the woods

again, its unfair... bullsh!t in fact. But we did this for the slobs in an effort to contain their activity so we, hopefully, dont face closures to shooting on public lands.

yup. Another reason why I still go to my secret spot in the woods

again, its unfair... bullsh!t in fact. But we did this for the slobs in an effort to contain their activity so we, hopefully, dont face closures to shooting on public lands.

I can't put a like for ya', but I agree with you.

Being that the water towards the back of the lane was up to my crotch and the berm had become a giant mud hill it was impossible for me to even collect an eighth of what was there. It looked like a guy was shooting an auto 12 GA and 556 simultaneously I couldn't believe all the shells. The bubblegum people use as target practice is so sad. I really liked it out there and I'll continue to use it but I think a DRRC membership is on my horizon.

I don't even mind the policing of brass and garbage I'm used to that. But at least at a member range the garbage is Controlled it's not just whenever you can get up there.

As for muzzle sweeping there was a guy at Lane 4 while I was on 3 we couldn't even see each other and there was quite the hill between us. We were also around the corner from lane 1 and 2 so if you get swept it's probably gunna be on lane 1 or 2.

Only problem is 3 and 4 look the best so the garbage is outrageous.

I believe it's called Tragedy of the Commons...

The thing is, at least it puts a lot of the problems in one place where it is easier to deal with. And since the location has been purposed for recreational shooting, it is much less likely to get shut down in spite of the mess. Unfortunately, it will be up to the un-thanked volunteers to maintain it. You will be taken for granted. About the only thing you can hope for is that as people come out and see others dealing with the mess that they will have a change of heart (or at least they will get a clue).

elsie

As for muzzle sweeping there was a guy at Lane 4 while I was on 3 we couldn't even see each other and there was quite the hill between us. We were also around the corner from lane 1 and 2 so if you get swept it's probably gunna be on lane 1 or 2.

I think the lanes are designed well to prevent sweeping when in use, as long as you stay inside the lanes its impossible to sweep another lane. The problem is not the lanes, its unsafe firearm handling while at the lane. Its when your driving by that it will happen, or when someone handles a gun when the lane should be cold or handles a gun when off of the firing line and starts walking around with it.

newbies really need to learn at a club. You arrive and put your cased rifle on the firing line. If you open the case and the muzzle is not pointing downrange, you don't touch the gun you close the case and spin it around. Its that simple, but if a newbie has never been to a gun club he might never learn that. Any gun thats not on the firing line has a flagged chamber and on the gun rack or is cased. Violate those rules at a gun club and you get kicked out.

I think the lanes are designed well to prevent sweeping when in use, as long as you stay inside the lanes its impossible to sweep another lane. The problem is not the lanes, its unsafe firearm handling while at the lane. Its when your driving by that it will happen, or when someone handles a gun when the lane should be cold or handles a gun when off of the firing line and starts walking around with it.

newbies really need to learn at a club. You arrive and put your cased rifle on the firing line. If you open the case and the muzzle is not pointing downrange, you don't touch the gun you close the case and spin it around. Its that simple, but if a newbie has never been to a gun club he might never learn that. Any gun thats not on the firing line has a flagged chamber and on the gun rack or is cased. Violate those rules at a gun club and you get kicked out.

So does that mean at gun clubs if you have a chl you're probably not iwb carrying huh?

So does that mean at gun clubs if you have a chl you're probably not iwb carrying huh?
no. Ive seen people CCW at two private ranges I have been to. Ive done it. The thing is, unless your at a tactical pistol range, you dont touch your CCW then nobody cares.

From the Tri-County rule book:

4. Drawing from a holster and firing, whether concealed or not, is NOT allowed on this range. When removing a pistol from a concealed holster for practice on this range the gun may only be removed once to place it on the shooting bench. During the draw, the muzzle must not sweep, point to the rear of the firing line or adjacent firing points. Guns must be withdrawn from the holster in a manner that does not allow the muzzle to point at any person. Guns may be returned to the holster only once at the end of practice.

The above section is referring to the conventional pistol range and short distance range.

I believe it's called Tragedy of the Commons...

The thing is, at least it puts a lot of the problems in one place where it is easier to deal with. And since the location has been purposed for recreational shooting, it is much less likely to get shut down in spite of the mess. Unfortunately, it will be up to the un-thanked volunteers to maintain it. You will be taken for granted. About the only thing you can hope for is that as people come out and see others dealing with the mess that they will have a change of heart (or at least they will get a clue).

elsie

Unfortunately Elsie, my faith in the shooting public has been seriously shaken. During the summer the sites were clean and beautiful, that apparently didn't stop people from leaving garbage. Then the sites were cleaned all spiffy, and, from what I'm hearing, trashed again.

A speaking of getting the trash all in one place? Is anyone getting a clean-up party together this year? I don't care so much about BBQ or give-aways, I DO care about getting the place reserved early, meeting members and cleaning up with a way to get rid of the trash, and THEN have a little shooting time.

Hopefully I (we) can get up there sometime this week. Was shooting (no pun) for yesterday or today but doesn't seem like it's gonna work out. During the week will be better. Maybe when it's raining and low traffic.....Just remember to SMILE! ;)

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top