JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ppl are shooting the signs!? Wtf! Im gonna head up in the morning w a tarp and a few bags and grab something 🤷‍♀️hopefully! Looks like i might have to use the 4x4! Sorry you had to go alone! But thanks for the work you did!
I left 5 new heavy duty bags at lane 4, left side of the jersey barrier firing line, in case you need any extra. Lanes 1 & 2 are fairly trashy and those dang targets up on the hillside behind the berms. But the rest of the crap at lane 4 is going to take a few more pickup loads, a few people and some rough terrain to work in.

Thanks, Marla!

The only sight of snow I saw today was on the way out, when I saw a trace had sprinkled at the tunnel. Otherwise, no snow today at the lanes.

Dang it's dark at 6:30!

Lane 1 looks fair, but I'll take a closer look in the daylight.

Lane 2 is pretty trashy.

Lane 3 is a rare sight... looks real nice! Those targets, on the kiosk, are adhesive type and are not peeling off in the cold. I'll heat them up and try to get the gum off. Yep, they were shot while on the kiosk, so, there's a couple holes through the sign and plywood.

Lane 4 is pretty messy. The new kiosk is unscathed in its new location. Yay!

I'm just gonna sit here and drink. (Coffee) :D Till it gets light enough to see.
Do the jersey barriers need a coat of paint on each lane?

Thank you, Bill, i appreciate how much and how hard you work on Wolf Creek, particularly when you're so very far away and don't even use the lanes. ❤️

Thank you for getting up there and putting in a full days work to keep the lanes open and presentable.. Glad the signs are not bad and you didnt have a crowd to deal with. It will be interesting to see if the bags you left get used for their intended purpose. That was a long trip home. Hopefully you are not too sore today.
Craig

Thank you, Bill, i appreciate how much and how hard you work on Wolf Creek, particularly when you're so very far away and don't even use the lanes. ❤️
Thanks, F2. It's because I love the Second Amendment, love the option to shoot on public lands and I don't want to loose either one.

I found that I can support the 2A by helping others realize the value of public land shooting. Value has worth, and taking care of our places to shoot whether in Oregon or Washington, is worth it for all of us.

I'm hopeful we can save it, but it looks pretty grim sometimes. But that's all the more reason to sound the alarm and wake people up to the fact that we are about to loose if we don't care for it.

Wolf creek has gotten out of hand. It is so popular that it draws all kinds of people. People who don't realize what we have and those who think ODF has crews that clean up and fix up the place. But they don't. It's up to us, the 'Users'.

ODF is concerned that we're not putting in much 'user care'. So, we're trying to find ways to get the message across and motivate users into everyday maintenance. I sure hope more people do their part, or we won't get more improvements in our favor.

I'm wondering if some just straight-up, simple signs for the dumbs, might help?

This site is only cleaned by the public
The ODF only allows us to use these lanes if we keep them clean.
The lanes are NOT cleaned by ODF

etc. etc.

I'm wondering if some just straight-up, simple signs for the dumbs, might help?

This site is only cleaned by the public
The ODF only allows us to use these lanes if we keep them clean.
The lanes are NOT cleaned by ODF

etc. etc.
I was thinking something like that too? Maybe something like "Burma Shave' signs? Several on the way up that say "PLEASE" help......" "Keep this site open, don't leave garbage" "Please pick up yours, + more when you leave". "Call 503-***-**** to report vandalism" On just some cheap steel posts.

I was thinking something like that too? Maybe something like "Burma Shave' signs? Several on the way up that say "PLEASE" help......" "Keep this site open, don't leave garbage" "Please pick up yours, + more when you leave". "Call 503-***-**** to report vandalism" On just some cheap steel posts.
Hey! We could hire those tweekers to stand along the road waving those signs! Would keep them off the range! :)

Hey! We could hire those tweekers to stand along the road waving those signs! Would keep them off the range! :)
Seriously, I like the idea that @F2CMaDMaXX gives. Something out there that is easily replaced, by, perhaps, anyone? IF I frequented that range (God, If I lived on that side of town I would. It's easier/quicker for me to get up the gorge to shoot though.) I could get whatever, piece of plywood, some paper printed with a message, and replace something easily taken to range with you.

I left 5 new heavy duty bags at lane 4, left side of the jersey barrier firing line, in case you need any extra. Lanes 1 & 2 are fairly trashy and those dang targets up on the hillside behind the berms. But the rest of the crap at lane 4 is going to take a few more pickup loads, a few people and some rough terrain to work in.

Thanks, Marla!

The only sight of snow I saw today was on the way out, when I saw a trace had sprinkled at the tunnel. Otherwise, no snow today at the lanes.
I failed twice:( ugh! I didn't realize pge was coming back today! I will have to try another time. Next time I will do better to plan to go with you or grab a friend. If its bad as you all say, I dont want to be a women alone up there. I do think we should post signs telling ppl about keeping it clean and why. Then we can prey they dont become targets as well! 😋🤦‍♀️

I think there should be a single large sign with LARGE red letters right before the gate at Lane 1 that says something along the lines of:

MAINTAINED BY VOLUNTEERS!
FOREST SERVICE DOES NOT CLEAN LANES!
PLEASE PACK OUT ALL TRASH!

People need to know that they are burdening real people, not just adding to a municipal burden.

Good suggestions! However, we should throw in some 4 letter language, just so we keep up with modern day trash talk. Everyone will think we're cool!

Here's the dump stats and the photos I got...

Lane 4:

8 bags of trash.
260 lbs (ave 32.5 lbs/bag).
$24.68 disposal cost (Washougal Landfill is really reasonable and charges by the pound). (Trash No Land paid).

Parking lot, firing line and entry road cleaned up (was too dark to take before photos).

11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 1.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 2.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 3.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 4.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 5.jpg

Before

11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 6.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 7.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 8.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 9.jpg

After (hillside done real well & big ugly stuff removed from lane. Still a lot of tedious little stuff in lane. Side trash still remains.)

11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 12.jpg Pickup load.jpg

Jersey Barriers

11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 10.jpg 11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 11.jpg

Tire disposal (Donation... No Charge!)

11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 13.jpg

Mud and reward

11-30-23 Lane 4 BC 14.jpg

I think you knocked it out of the park Bill. At least it wasnt snowing. Did you get to shoot any?
Amazing what people dump/leave behind. Would love to see the signs. Unfourtunately the group we are trying to reach is either to entitled or to stupid and dont care in my opinion.

I think you knocked it out of the park Bill. At least it wasnt snowing. Did you get to shoot any?
Amazing what people dump/leave behind. Would love to see the signs. Unfourtunately the group we are trying to reach is either to entitled or to stupid and dont care in my opinion.
I took the AR and bought another box of 223, but it got too late and needed to get to my meeting. But I enjoyed the music those other folks made as I was leaving!

Yeah I know this is the Choir group, but as a choir, we rehearse and blend our voices to make beautiful music. I have faith in our choir that we will be heard and others will know we are unified and darn good at it. (that analogy isn't as good as what Lars Larson can do. A team analogy could also work.)

I like the idea of those basic signs (ok so i suggested it based on someone else's comment) but honestly, plain, short/dumb wording might be all it takes to help, at least for the shooters that go up there.

We all know there are non-shooters up there that 99% probably shouldn't be, and they don't help one bit, but at least we can keep down the stuff that's obviously us when the ODF sees it.

Thanks again, Bill.

I like the idea of those basic signs (ok so i suggested it based on someone else's comment) but honestly, plain, short/dumb wording might be all it takes to help, at least for the shooters that go up there.

We all know there are non-shooters up there that 99% probably shouldn't be, and they don't help one bit, but at least we can keep down the stuff that's obviously us when the ODF sees it.

Thanks again, Bill.
I like them too. I'll play around with something simple and see what develops. I'm thinking a metal T post pounded into the ground and mount the sign on it. Put the post next to the kisoks at each lane so the sign is separate from all the other messaging. They will walk right past the sign and it will be short and sweet. Since trash is, perhaps, our biggest problem, maybe we can help that part.

Well, we know the pigs are going to be pig, filthy scum no matter what. But I have a feeling there are many people that go to shoot, and clean their stuff up. THOSE people need to be prodded into taking a little more with them. "We need your help keeping these shooting lanes open!".
All that G-D crap that takes energy to throw over to the side.

Okay, here's one of those ideas...

The wording, color and layout can all be easily changed before any printing. Suggestions appreciated.

This would be a 8 1/2 X 11 printed onto the white Corex material (realtor yard sign kind). It would be mounted to a metal post and located next to each kiosk at each lane, (except lane 4 would be just past the kiosk).

Note that there are no Names on the sign (not ODF, Trash No Land nor NWFA). Just a message someone made and placed it there.

Printing at home would only be on regular paper and that would get ruined at the first rain. So, we're best to have a print shop make them like the others we've done.

This could also be used in other forests and other dispersed shooting sites, as it doesn't name any specific agency.

If we think this is the right thing to do, let's refine this and send it to the print shop!

Cleaned by YOU Sign 8 x11.png Lane 3 Location.png

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top