JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is Wolf Creek open? I know a lot of places are closed for fire hazards. The link toTillamook forest site has not been updated for a while.
When I go to any range in the forest this time of year I take a shovel and water/fire extinguisher. After you are done shooting just hang for 20 minutes or so and walk the range looking for smoke. Do not shoot steel anywhere near brush/weeds. Do not use steel/ferrous metal containing rounds. Those can make a spark off a rock. If ODF or any Law Officer comes by they'll be thrilled to see you with those items on the firing line.

When I go to any range in the forest this time of year I take a shovel and water/fire extinguisher. After you are done shooting just hang for 20 minutes or so and walk the range looking for smoke. Do not shoot steel anywhere near brush/weeds. Do not use steel/ferrous metal containing rounds. Those can make a spark off a rock. If ODF or any Law Officer comes by they'll be thrilled to see you with those items on the firing line.
Of course. Always follow those common sense rules. It's those who don't that get things shut down for the rest of us.

Of course. Always follow those common sense rules. It's those who don't that get things shut down for the rest of us.
I never really thought that much about it until recently. I don't get to a forest range much. Usually, mostly in the cooler months where you wouldn't think about it. I'll guess that quite a few people would think that at a "Range" they might not need the extra stuff. It's been no extra hassle to toss in the folding shovel and one of those old chrome plated extinguishers with the screw-on lid and the place to pressurize it from the compressor in the garage.

I never really thought that much about it until recently. I don't get to a forest range much. Usually, mostly in the cooler months where you wouldn't think about it. I'll guess that quite a few people would think that at a "Range" they might not need the extra stuff. It's been no extra hassle to toss in the folding shovel and one of those old chrome plated extinguishers with the screw-on lid and the place to pressurize it from the compressor in the garage.
Summer months are not my favorite shooting months. I actually enjoy shooting in the snow but it sucks for cleaning up your brass. I have shot at Wolf Creek several times. It's a nice set up. Always clean up others crap. It's the tweekers that I have encountered up there that discourage me from going there. I like a good spot where it's clean and no one else is going to show up. But I have a new rifle to site in and this is the only place that's close and open. I really appreciate what everyone has done to make this place a good spot to shoot. I always put in my effort when I go there to clean up others mess. It's a shame that our country has so many degenerates. But I guess with freedom, people have two paths...respect and civility, or selfishness and stupidity.

Summer months are not my favorite shooting months. I actually enjoy shooting in the snow but it sucks for cleaning up your brass. I have shot at Wolf Creek several times. It's a nice set up. Always clean up others crap. It's the tweekers that I have encountered up there that discourage me from going there. I like a good spot where it's clean and no one else is going to show up. But I have a new rifle to site in and this is the only place that's close and open. I really appreciate what everyone has done to make this place a good spot to shoot. I always put in my effort when I go there to clean up others mess. It's a shame that our country has so many degenerates. But I guess with freedom, people have two paths...respect and civility, or selfishness and stupidity.
Most of my shooting partners have moved out of state or changed shifts. While I don't mind shooting alone I have encountered a handful of questionable groups out there.

I have thought about shouting out my gun runs on here but I don't know anyone personally (the cleanups are always on Saturdays which I work). It's also strange I've never met anyone at a popular shooting spot that heard of NWFA.

One change I've made is I now bring minimal guns and ammo on my shooting runs. Minimizing things to watch, account for or lose.

Most of my shooting partners have moved out of state or changed shifts. While I don't mind shooting alone I have encountered a handful of questionable groups out there.

I have thought about shouting out my gun runs on here but I don't know anyone personally (the cleanups are always on Saturdays which I work). It's also strange I've never met anyone at a popular shooting spot that heard of NWFA.

One change I've made is I now bring minimal guns and ammo on my shooting runs. Minimizing things to watch, account for or lose.
To that end, I've recruited my wife to be my shooting buddy. Although she only has a passing interest, she'll come with me, be my lookout when I'm shooting, shoot .22 lr or .38's and help police brass.

Usually do early mornings, so it's coffee's and pastries afterwards. Makes it worth her while and it's time to spend alone yet together.

It was a great range day yesterday at lane 4. Got up there around 7:30. Pulled up on range 1 occupied. My heart sank. If lane one is occupied, it's full. Lane 2 occupied. Lane 3 occupied. Oh man….the lanes are full. Lane 4 (the one I wanted) empty! Got lucky. We don't shoot Wolf Creek much. We have a pit in the Mt. Hood NF that is clean and free of riff raff but it's been closed due to fire hazards. I could not believe the trash that people have left. It was depressing. We picked up what we could but this will take a major cleanup. WTF is wrong with people? Shared the lane later in the day with a couple younger men. One was on leave as a Navy Corpsman. Was fun to meet them and share different platforms. But my God! This place is trashed. I feel bad that I couldn't clean it all up.

IMG_1446.jpeg IMG_1447.jpeg IMG_1443.jpeg IMG_1442.jpeg 71493425181__F7531096-2FDA-4531-BD89-F8FA8F9721AE.jpeg

Last Edited:
It was a great range day yesterday at lane 4. Got up there around 7:30. Pulled up on range 1 occupied. My heart sank. If lane one is occupied, it's full. Lane 2 occupied. Lane 3 occupied. Oh man….the lanes are full. Lane 4 (the one I wanted) empty! Got lucky. We don't shoot Wolf Creek much. We have a pit in the Mt. Hood NF that is clean and free of riff raff but it's been closed due to fire hazards. I could not believe the trash that people have left. It was depressing. We picked up what we could but this will take a major cleanup. WTF is wrong with people? Shared the lane later in the day with a couple younger men. One was on leave as a Navy Corpsman. Was fun to meet them and share different platforms. But my God! This place is trashed. I feel bad that I couldn't clean it all up.

View attachment 1478350 View attachment 1478351 View attachment 1478352 View attachment 1478353 View attachment 1478355
thanks for picking up what you could. if everyone there just took a kitchen bag full each trip be pretty clean. i bet you could research that bi mart receipt and nab the scum who left the trash. looks like shot gun guys once again, the piggiest of the pigs

View attachment 1478350 View attachment 1478351 View attachment 1478352 View attachment 1478353 View attachment 1478355
That's terrible! I think it was later in June that we did that last clean-up? @Cogs ? It wasn't nearly that bad as I recall? Because I was scrounging around picking up small stuff.
How did the new reader boards look? The one on 4 was totally new at that time.

Well shoot.

Thanks for the report, CK, and thanks for picking up what you could.

I see we have some new graffiti on the Jersey barriers too. I have cover paint for that, if I can ever get back up there. Might be able to in September.

If anyone can get together and load up a pickup load, I'll cover your disposal cost (well not me, but TrashNoLand.org will). Just send me a copy of the receipt and I'll mail a check.

Bill

Unfortunately, there is this thing called "The Tragedy of the Commons". Basically, everybody is going to act in their own self-interest. It shows up in places like this where there are people who only give two poops about themselves and what they are doing. This tends to happen quite a bit on the public lands and one theory behind it is due to lack of ownership of the land.

That's terrible! I think it was later in June that we did that last clean-up? @Cogs ? It wasn't nearly that bad as I recall? Because I was scrounging around picking up small stuff.
How did the new reader boards look? The one on 4 was totally new at that time.
I noticed it had been moved from the last time I was up there a few years ago. That's a better spot for it. Less likely to get shot up I guess. I didn't even notice it until we were packing up and leaving. I did not look at the front side but no holes were showing through the back.

I noticed it had been moved from the last time I was up there a few years ago. That's a better spot for it. Less likely to get shot up I guess. I didn't even notice it until we were packing up and leaving. I did not look at the front side but no holes were showing through the back.
Good to here! Thanks Ck.

We also relocated the kiosk at lane 3 (directly in front of the firing line). @Reno came up with that idea and I was hoping it works. All 4 lanes got all new signs at that time too.

How was the trash at lane 4? I'm still offering to cover disposal cost if someone can go get it and haul it to the dump.

Bill

Good to here! Thanks Ck.

We also relocated the kiosk at lane 3 (directly in front of the firing line). @Reno came up with that idea and I was hoping it works. All 4 lanes got all new signs at that time too.

How was the trash at lane 4? I'm still offering to cover disposal cost if someone can go get it and haul it to the dump.

Bill
Ill throw a 20.00 gift card for gas as well if we can get that done!!

Good to here! Thanks Ck.

Bill
Lanes 1 through 3 were occupied so I was not able to see their condition.

I received this note this morning...

Comment or Message
We were just out at N. Fork wolf creek lane 1 and there was trash everywhere. Not just trash from target shooting but all kinds of trash all over the place. I unfortunately didn't have a extra trash bag or gloves with me to pick this up or I would have tried but I thought you should know the mess that is here currently.
Thanks!
Brandi

I haven't been there this year unfortunately. I don't have a vehicle that can haul much out. Plus I just have a small can at home so one big bag tops me off altogether. I have thought about at least trying to bag trash up and leave it in hopes that someone with a vehicle or even a place to take it could grab it. I'd hope if I bagged it up that someone wouldn't make a mess of it. Would this be helpful?

I haven't been there this year unfortunately. I don't have a vehicle that can haul much out. Plus I just have a small can at home so one big bag tops me off altogether. I have thought about at least trying to bag trash up and leave it in hopes that someone with a vehicle or even a place to take it could grab it. I'd hope if I bagged it up that someone wouldn't make a mess of it. Would this be helpful?
I think the bagging could help, but i would say the bags should be of bright color, i would be more willing to look in a colored bag and haul off vs a black 30 gallon leaf bag.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top