JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No.

It's good. Lots of pot holes and the lane going past the gate is starting to get rough again.

The car is still there, but someone flipped over the back half further towards the edge of the road.
Yeah, I saw that photo of the car flipped over. I was wondering if someone has a 203 they've been practicing with ... seriously though, WTF? Anyway, thanks for the answer!

How long til some yahoo uses it for target practice :(
That's what I said to myself first off. But then had the thought that, just maybe, the sign makes the lanes look more legitimate? Like it may be patrolled? So some of the scum-dog dirt-bag pieces of excrement may go elsewhere?

Has anyone called the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office about the burned out vehicle? That's right where 3 counties meet so sort of no-mans-land, but Clatsop is the proper jurisdiction. There might be some VIN numbers on the frame that did not melt. That's typical for stolen cars out that way but it IS possible that the vehicle was part of a homicide or other crime and was burned to hide evidence.

Has anyone called the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office about the burned out vehicle? That's right where 3 counties meet so sort of no-mans-land, but Clatsop is the proper jurisdiction. There might be some VIN numbers on the frame that did not melt. That's typical for stolen cars out that way but it IS possible that the vehicle was part of a homicide or other crime and was burned to hide evidence.
Yes. I called ODF Tillamook State Forest, Forest Grove Office. They are to send out the road crew to remove it. Since I've always worked with the Forest Grove office about the Wolf Creek lanes, (and that whole McGregor Basin area), they are the ones who'll take care of it.

Yeah, wouldn't doubt it at all if it were a stolen vehicle and used in a crime.

Were you up there recently?
Bill

Actually, that's a good idea to call the Sheriff's Dept. I assume ODF will do that, as they have in the past, but it might be appropriate just to be sure they got the word from ODF.

Yes. I called ODF Tillamook State Forest, Forest Grove Office. They are to send out the road crew to remove it. Since I've always worked with the Forest Grove office about the Wolf Creek lanes, (and that whole McGregor Basin area), they are the ones who'll take care of it.

Yeah, wouldn't doubt it at all if it were a stolen vehicle and used in a crime.

Were you up there recently?
Bill
It's been over a year ago for me but other places are dwindling so I will have to get out there more.

I made my first trip up there this year and some of the potholes on the way up could swallow a small car whole :D I ended up sharing lane 3 with a couple guys wearing shorts, they seemed to be making the best of it despite the temp up there was in the mid 30's. Overall, the lanes looks fairly OK (as compared to the worst we've seen), but they are well overdue for an organized clean-up. Even the trees we planted (that are still there) seem to have survived the snow storm without moralities. And yes, the car is still there, in two pieces, one of which is uncomfortably close to being in the way. I also took photos on each lane's sign; a few bullet holes, but otherwise they look good.

IMG_20230316_193955.jpg IMG_20230316_092730.jpg IMG_20230316_194157.jpg IMG_20230316_194058.jpg IMG_20230316_193821.jpg

I made my first trip up there this year and some of the potholes on the way up could swallow a small car whole :D I ended up sharing lane 3 with a couple guys wearing shorts, they seemed to be making the best of it despite the temp up there was in the mid 30's. Overall, the lanes looks fairly OK (as compared to the worst we've seen), but they are well overdue for an organized clean-up. Even the trees we planted (that are still there) seem to have survived the snow storm without moralities. And yes, the car is still there, in two pieces, one of which is uncomfortably close to being in the way. I also took photos on each lane's sign; a few bullet holes, but otherwise they look good.

View attachment 1385395 View attachment 1385396 View attachment 1385397 View attachment 1385398 View attachment 1385399
Thanks for the report, @Cosimel . I ordered all new signs for each lane, so, when we do the cleanup in May I'll be able to replace any damaged or missing signs. It cost us, (I say 'Us' because it came out of TNL's General Funds from donors who appreciate good places to shoot on public lands), $325 for the new signs before the Lane Map signs (I already have a new 'Map' sign for each lane, printed last year). But it's worth it to have a good looking 'Premiere' site and most of us respect the signs. If I can get up there before May, I'll simply fix up the signage and be done with that part... However, I doubt that I can get there before then cause I have way too many cleanups scheduled in April.

Thanks for the update!

Bill

I've often wondered if moving the signs at lanes 3 and 4 might aid in not being shot at. Lanes 1 and 2 have the sign facing the direction of the road or another lane. I bet that folks that would normally shoot at the signs don't at these lanes due to having the slightest moral obligation not to shoot in the direction of other humans. I'm giving them a lot of credit, but I bet there is something to that logic. Face 3 and 4 in a way that shooting them mat break these lowlifes smallest moral code or perhaps it's a tiniest bit of fear that shooting in the direction of others might have higher consequences than just shooting the sign.

I've often wondered if moving the signs at lanes 3 and 4 might aid in not being shot at. Lanes 1 and 2 have the sign facing the direction of the road or another lane. I bet that folks that would normally shoot at the signs don't at these lanes due to having the slightest moral obligation not to shoot in the direction of other humans. I'm giving them a lot of credit, but I bet there is something to that logic. Face 3 and 4 in a way that shooting them mat break these lowlifes smallest moral code or perhaps it's a tiniest bit of fear that shooting in the direction of others might have higher consequences than just shooting the sign.
You come up with the bestest of ideas! I love it!

How about these locations?

Sign Relocate Lane 3.png

Sign Relocate Lane 4.png

Turn them so the shooter would have to face the firing line to shoot the signs.

I like this idea, my only concern is the dumb bubblegum who doesnt know his rounds can go thru the sign.
This is what I was thinking. Put them right smack dab in the middle in the front. Either they will get shot at more, IE you just placed a sign technically down range (if shooting from road). Or, you'll get less because to shoot the sign you must be in the road and pointing down range with zero visibility of the range and knowledge of any humans.

This is what I was thinking. Put them right smack dab in the middle in the front. Either they will get shot at more, IE you just placed a sign technically down range (if shooting from road). Or, you'll get less because to shoot the sign you must be in the road and pointing down range with zero visibility of the range and knowledge of any humans.
You mean like this? I think it could work!

Sign Relocate Lane 3 Opt 2.png

Sign Relocate Lane 4 Opt 2.png

@Cogs, I believe putting the signs where you have marked would go a long ways to keeping them intact. Maybe even move them further.

Edit: You already moved them?? LOL Look for holes coming from the other side now. 🤦‍♂️

Yes likt that. Any Darwin would get return fire.... Theyd have to either stand in the road, or shoot toward the road.

But since we cant underestimate peoples dumbassery, would this put anyone innocent in harms way. What if the Darwin shooter was wearing earmuffs when we were driving up. Put the sigs so they could still see traffic coming.

Just about bill. Perhaps still behind the rock barrier so you don't give them target practice for their trucks. Or concrete them in so that it would be obvious they would cause damage if you attempted to ram them.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top