JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just about bill. Perhaps still behind the rock barrier so you don't give them target practice for their trucks. Or concrete them in so that it would be obvious they would cause damage if you attempted to ram them.
The fine tuning can happen at the time of the move. But for now, we'll think it over for a while.

I really like your suggestion!

Thanks,
Bill

I've often wondered if moving the signs at lanes 3 and 4 might aid in not being shot at. Lanes 1 and 2 have the sign facing the direction of the road or another lane. I bet that folks that would normally shoot at the signs don't at these lanes due to having the slightest moral obligation not to shoot in the direction of other humans. I'm giving them a lot of credit, but I bet there is something to that logic. Face 3 and 4 in a way that shooting them mat break these lowlifes smallest moral code or perhaps it's a tiniest bit of fear that shooting in the direction of others might have higher consequences than just shooting the sign.
I fear you are giving the users of lanes 1 & 2 too much credit. While the sign boards on the first two lanes were shot less than 3 & 4, there were still a half dozen large caliber holes in the lane diagrams on both lanes 1 & 2. I suspect that it's the lack of a functional distance they can reasonably get from the signs on lanes 1 & 2 that's more at play with them being shot less; that and these lanes are less popular. But with this in mind, I'd suggest moving the signs where Cog had originally proposed, but farther down hill (and away from the firing line) at an angle in that you'd see it from road for some distance as you approach which would mean anyone shooting at the back would be shooting straight down the road (some obvious concerns there) and would require a shooter to stand in the road to shoot at the front of it. This would have the benefit of being able to identify the lane before you are already past it, though not a real issue for lane 4. We many also need to resign to the likelihood that the signs will get shot-up no matter what we do (except for the proposed 'shooting back' robotic sign boards).

We many also need to resign to the likelihood that the signs will get shot-up no matter what we do (except for the proposed 'shooting back' robotic sign boards).
In anticipation of them getting destroyed on a regular basis, I had ordered new 'Lane Map' signs last year. Last week I ordered all the other signs for each lane. I can keep that up for a while, but I think we need to set up a Maintenance fund for expenses like this, funded by donations from users. A complete replacement of all signs on each Kiosk seems to run about $425. Trash No Land will do the complete replacement in May (I'm using funds from a large General Fund grant we received in 2021).

I'm a little reluctant to do the Maintenance fund idea, as 'Reserved Funds for Maintenance and Repairs', because we desperately need to do the improvements to lanes 1 & 4 (new berm on lane 1 and gravel both lanes 1 & 4). I hate to have money donated to the maintenance fund when we're still trying to find funds for the improvements needed. So far, the Improvements 'Reserved' account stands at $5500, yet we need about 20k for lane 1 and 28k for lane 4. So any donations for Wolf Creek should go to the Improvement project, not a Maintenance fund.

Note: The $5500 breaks down to $2500 from individual donations and another $3000 from Trash No Land General Funds due to a large grant from a private Foundation in 2021). I'm not touching that money until we can build it up towards helping with a grant (probably another NRA grant). Typically, we need a 50% match of funds for grants. So, if we ask for $50,000, we need to match that with $25,000 (some of our match can be labor and materials donations).

Bill

Last Edited:
If the signs are further back not to block your vision from the other side I can see that. But I also think they would get shoot up more and people would use them as a barricade and or to shoot around or to run drills.
Good thoughts.

If we really are going to relocate them, let's pick a spot and plan to get it done. I kinda think we could jack up the whole sign with a pair of Handyman Jacks (and wouldn't need to dismantle each kiosk). We could also drag a boulder, or 2, in front of the kiosks (to block those 'Urban Assault Vehicles' from ramming them).

I'm thinking May 20th for a date to do it. I can rent an auger to drill the holes, unless someone has one they can bring.

On that day, we should do a good cleanup and replace all damaged signs. If we have a graffiti problem, we can take care of that too.

What do you all think? Cleanup, lunch and shoot on May 20th?

Good thoughts.

If we really are going to relocate them, let's pick a spot and plan to get it done. I kinda think we could jack up the whole sign with a pair of Handyman Jacks (and wouldn't need to dismantle each kiosk). We could also drag a boulder, or 2, in front of the kiosks (to block those 'Urban Assault Vehicles' from ramming them).

I'm thinking May 20th for a date to do it. I can rent an auger to drill the holes, unless someone has one they can bring.

On that day, we should do a good cleanup and replace all damaged signs. If we have a graffiti problem, we can take care of that too.

sounds good. i will be there..ill be in touch @Cogs on the funding for the day

Good thoughts.

I'm in!!

Bad news

IMG_20230322_071545757.jpg

I'd chip in for one of those game cameras that send real time images so we could get a look at who keeps doing this.

If the gates get closed it's likely that the biggest complaints will come from the sort of folks that think this is cool.

I'm sorry to see all your efforts to keep this range open & respectable disrespected by the despicable minority.

Perhaps we simply give up on signs all together. Who needs them?

If I wasn't so pissed off, I'd rant for a while. But the filters will block every word I say.

Perhaps we simply give up on signs all together. Who needs them?

If I wasn't so pissed off, I'd rant for a while. But the filters will block every word I say.
I feel it Bill. I'm not even highly involved in this range as it's TWO trips across the sewer of potand. But it just disgusts me the same.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Pull all the signs out. If we need one, put only one on the corner at lane 1. Position it so if it's shot, they would be shooting directly towards lane 1 and 2 and the road. Otherwise, no signs at any of the lanes.

We don't need the headaches or the cost of signs. They may end up being the demise of the lanes, if they are constantly damaged.

No signs equals no temptations and fewer problems.

My 2 cents.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Pull all the signs out. If we need one, put only one on the corner at lane 1. Position it so if it's shot, they would be shooting directly towards lane 1 and 2 and the road. Otherwise, no signs at any of the lanes.

We don't need the headaches or the cost of signs. They may end up being the demise of the lanes, if they are constantly damaged.

No signs equals no temptations and fewer problems.

My 2 cents.
I kinda like this idea. Maybe just put up one right before lane 1. Far enough from the lane not to get shot at so much but covers the bases that there is a sign. I'm just unsure of how helpful they really are. People that care already have the knowledge. And then you have the rest that just want to damage something regardless. Likely the same people that don't care what direction they are shooting in. I think the effort is great but has it really changed anything? Maybe I'm wrong but I feel something different is in order.

I was also think if the signs were in the middle, what if someone was behind it in a way that blocked someone line of sight and then somebody decided to lay wast to the sign? I just think that if the signs are in place where the range is behind it it just give more reason to shoot at it. Someone is going to staple a target to it and run handgun drills on it or something. It's just alowing someone to be further back from the barricades.

I don't know. Simpler signs that ask to please clean up after yourselves, plus a little more? That could help the conscientious to do a little more?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top