JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm getting close to a first purchase. Any tidbits or guidance on breaking in a new gun? I know there will be some variance depending on the manufacturer and actual gun.
- should I clean it first?
- anything to particularly watch for in first X rounds?

Peter

What kind of firearm? Its been debated to and tested to death and all the info that I have seen seems to show no distinguishable difference in the accuracy of a gun that was broken in "properly" and one that hasnt. So basicly the short awnser is that it couldnt hurt to run a bore snake through it every few rounds if it is a long gun. A pistol I wouldnt even worry about.

EDIT: I didnt even notice this was Handgun talk so only read the last sentence.:)

A lot will recommend you do, just to get any metal shavings etc out of the mechanism before firing it. I will usually pull it apart and wipe it down, then re-lube it before shooting for that reason. On the other hand, Wilson Combat recommends you do NOT disassemble and clean a new gun from them until you have at least 500 rounds through it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

What I do when I get a new toy is to do a field strip... check out the machine work done on it.... polish the needed parts and smooth things out if needed. Lightly lube and put a few hundred rounds through it. Good idea to number mags too so if you have feeding issues you know what mag is giving you issues. I would use factory ammo to make sure you have no duds or whatever.... I once used some home reloads from a friend and there was not powder in one round, the bullet got stock in the barrel and if I didn't know better I would have sent the next round through and BOOM!....
Something like a Glock, xd, mp etc. is pretty much ready for war out the box IMO but it never hurts to visually check it out before you start the process of braking it in.

Thanks to everyone for your input. The first purchase is likely a Beretta 92A1, and so assuming there is no explicit guidance from Beretta then I'll ensure to field strip, clean, and oil the pistol before taking it to the range and putting 100-200 rounds through it.

Peter

Beretta makes some fine pistols and I would guess you will be handing that down to your Grandkids.
As far as breaking in a pistol you have some excellent advice so far. Won't give advice but here is my story.
Bought a brand new Glock and headed to the range. Had my Wife load up the magazines as we drove. Got to the range, took the gun from the box and unleashed the 3 mags. I re-loaded the 3 mags and she unloaded them. Had a blast! Went home and read the manual, light cleaning/oil and it is ready for duty. I wanted to be "one of those guys" that say their gun has been shot straight from the box.
Good luck, stay safe and have fun,
Mike

my method on aluminum frame semi autos is like this:

tear it down and clean well.
light gun oil on trigger and hammer parts
grease on rails
fire 50 rnds fmj (break in the feed ramp)
diaasemble and look for burrs
bore snake
fire 50+ rnds fmj
start testing hp ammo

I agree w/ field strip, clean and oil, then put a few hundred rounds through it.

Some of the modern polymer pistols don't need any break-in. My 1911 smoothed out a lot about 3-400 rounds in. Most of my other pistols also took some break in before the buttons/levers and the trigger became smooth. Break-in essentially consisted of using them.

Most of the break-in controversy you read about centers on bolt-action hunting rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top