JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I talked with my wife this morning about an idea I had to invite NWFA annual supporting members who don't have a range membership to go shooting at Tri County Gun Club as a guest of mine. I suggested to her that I would only want to go out for a couple of hours, start to finish, per visit. I told her I would not do any shooting myself so that would maximize the time for the guest to shoot. I have freedom to go pretty much any time I want by myself. She said that sounds weird/creepy that I would invite somebody to go shooting but then not go shooting myself while I was there. Per the rules, I can not shoot while the guest is shooting so if I was to bring my own firearms to shoot that would halve the time the guest gets to shoot and you would be surprised how quickly two hours will go by once you drive through the gates.

I am putting it out there before I officially make the offer, is it weird or creepy to invite somebody as a guest to the range if I am not going to do any shooting myself?

Last Edited:
I talked with my wife this morning about an idea I had to invite NWFA anuual supporting members who don't have a range membership to go shooting at Tri County Gun Club as a guest of mine. I suggested to her that I would only want to go out for a couple of hours, start to finish, per visit. I told her I would not do any shootiing myself so that would maximize the time for the guest to shoot. I have freedom to go pretty much any time I want by myself. She said that sounds weird/creepy that I would invite somebody to go shooting but then not go shooting myself while I was there. Per the rules, I can not shoot while the guest is shooting so if I was to bring my own firearms to shoot that would halve the time the guest gets to shoot and you would be surprised how quickly two hours will go by once you drive through the gates.

I am putting it out there before I officialy make the offer, is it weird or creepy to invite somebody as a guest to the range if I am not going to do any shooting myself?

I dont find it weird.

If i needed a place to shoot i would be super appreciative and grateful for the offer.

If you do extend that offer, that is generous and kind of you.

I dont find it weird.

If i needed a place to shoot i would be super appreciative and grateful for the offer.

If you do extend that offer, that is generous and kind of you.
That's what I thought, maybe my wife would rather I do some more chores around here instead of visiting the range:)

I have only been to the range twice in the last couple of years and feel like I need to get my monies worth even if it's for guest to shoot. Dues are coming up again soon.

That's what I thought, maybe my wife would rather I do some more chores around here instead of visiting the range:)

I have only been to the range twice in the last couple of years and feel like I need to get my monies worth even if it's for guest to shoot. Dues are coming up again soon.
I don't find it weird at all. Definitely kind of you! The only thing that would make me second guess doing the same is that not everyone is safe with firearms and some folks may have bad intentions.....just saying

In my paranoid, suspicious little mind I'm convinced people dump oddball stuff at "shooting" spots just so they get them shut down. Driving 20 miles up into the mountains on unmaintained dirt roads to dump TVs and bags of diapers just doesn't make sense. Who shoots at a TV 5 feet off the road? On top of that, at spots where shooters take their targets down after use and a good percentage take their brass after. Just saying. At the spot I go to here in Washington I stop in at the Forest Service office right at the turn off on the highway and make sure all is good up at the spot and they actually give a few trash bags just in case there is any trash up there. Pretty cool and rare of them.

Its cheaper to drive out to the woods to dump your trash than it is to take it to the dump or properly recycle it.
Or get fined by the city if you do not dispose of it "EXACTLY" the way they want you to "No more than 0.225% recyclable material allowed in garbage can" bla bla bla :rolleyes:

Yeah, I stopped looking for place to shoot outdoor. I searched on gun forums and maps and many places are in the deep woods, off trail and miles from Portland. Forget it. After wasting money on gas and the wasted time looking. I know of English Pit but that place seem to be busy the many time I went. So, I never use that range.
My reasons for open area outdoor shooting:
No restrictions from range masters
Shotguning
Rapid firing
Quick drawing
Multiple targeting
Long range
Use reloads
Use whatever target you want to shoot at
Especially blasting stuff up. (of course clean up mess after)
And etc.

I have noticed a massive increase in the number of shooters in the woods in the last couple years.

Some of them are very rude and unsafe, some are just dangerous. I keep traveling farther and farther into the woods to find private places.

Another thing I have great concern for is the fact that we are heading into another severe drought year. There have been a lot of new gates put up by forestry that I know will soon be locked because of fire danger by shooters.
I admonish all long-range shooters to get to the woods now! Before the gates get locked.

I love to shoot outdoors and to make a day of it. But with gas prices what they are and the need to drive many miles from Portland and dangerous shooters, it's getting expensive.

I have noticed a massive increase in the number of shooters in the woods in the last couple years.

Some of them are very rude and unsafe, some are just dangerous. I keep traveling farther and farther into the woods to find private places.

Another thing I have great concern for is the fact that we are heading into another severe drought year. There have been a lot of new gates put up by forestry that I know will soon be locked because of fire danger by shooters.
I admonish all long-range shooters to get to the woods now! Before the gates get locked.

I love to shoot outdoors and to make a day of it. But with gas prices what they are and the need to drive many miles from Portland and dangerous shooters, it's getting expensive.
Agreed, All those reasons I listed is why it is so dangerous. Expensive, yes. Cheaper to pay range fees and abide by their rules and safety measure. You'll get home safely and in short time. I've never shoot guns outdoors near Portland area before. But I can imagine that there is a lot of wreckless shooters out there.

The rifle/pistol range nearest to me is cool. People that work there are really professional and eager to kick dipbubblegums out of there. Only downside is the Rifle range options. 50-100yrd range is public but in order to reach out over 100, you have to become a member. Even then they won't open that range to just one member. Kind of stupid if you pay yearly dues just for that optional range for distance. Woods will always be a gamble for encountering dipbubblegums, drunks and weekend "operators" with tactical vests just to look cool (retarded)....

I don't find it weird at all. Definitely kind of you! The only thing that would make me second guess doing the same is that not everyone is safe with firearms and some folks may have bad intentions.....just saying
I agree. As a member of TCGC, I do take guests on occasion (a couple of friends, and my Dad); only those who I am comfortable with their gun handling practices. As TCGC is very safety conscious, with rules and people monitoring for compliance, my concern would be being held accountable as the member for a guest that I may not have experience with. Do they follow reasonable firearm safety practices? Are they willing and interested to read, understand, and follow the range's rules? If not, you could end up in front of the disciplinary committee or with a suspended membership.

Its cheaper to drive out to the woods to dump your trash than it is to take it to the dump or properly recycle it.
While I frown on illegal dumping in the woods.

The cost of taking some stuff to the dump is just stupid expensive. I have vacation property in North Washington and a dump run can easy exceed $100.00 in dump fees.
I know this is another problem - but it is a problem!

Last Edited:
I know this is another problem - but it is a problem!
I think its the majority of the problem. Even for the most egregious rule breaker type there would be no motivation to spend half a day driving out to the woods if it wasnt cheaper.

It definitely changes my perspective especially for those families struggling or behind on their bills, if it came to the lights and heat or the trash its obvious which one gets paid first.

CEE0031B-FA58-4135-86E1-0EB36FD32A52.jpeg

I talked with my wife this morning about an idea I had to invite NWFA annual supporting members who don't have a range membership to go shooting at Tri County Gun Club as a guest of mine. I suggested to her that I would only want to go out for a couple of hours, start to finish, per visit. I told her I would not do any shooting myself so that would maximize the time for the guest to shoot. I have freedom to go pretty much any time I want by myself. She said that sounds weird/creepy that I would invite somebody to go shooting but then not go shooting myself while I was there. Per the rules, I can not shoot while the guest is shooting so if I was to bring my own firearms to shoot that would halve the time the guest gets to shoot and you would be surprised how quickly two hours will go by once you drive through the gates.

I am putting it out there before I officially make the offer, is it weird or creepy to invite somebody as a guest to the range if I am not going to do any shooting myself?
Absolutely NOT weird or Crazy. This is totally generous of you to consider such a thing. As a person who is on the "waiting list" for Tri County, I am honored to share a forum with you!

Having said that, for a better understanding of your wife's response, refer to the "Matrix" posted in the Political MegaThread:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top