JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday headed out to Salmonberry and the 5 spots I know of were busy. Then headed down to Wolfcreek Rd and all 4 lanes were full. I tried a few alternate places on Wolfcreek but they were full.

Since the truck was already dirty I figured to explore more around the area. Ended up face to face with a log truck on a single track road (see the movie "Duel"). Had to back up 1/4 mile. Continued up. Flagged down a pickup passing by. He gave me directions that ended with, keep left and go up this hill and there's a spot.

Unfortunately I found the spot before the spot. I saw where people had been shooting and figured that was it. All up hill but there were left over targets. Trying to zero 2 new uppers. Surprisingly hard to get good eye relief at angles. Finally gave up and drove up the road to find a turn around spot.

I did. It was up the hill where the guy was talking about only a few hundred yards from where I was. Wasted a few hours. A little extra gas and doubtful I would use that place as an initial shooting spot. But at least I know it's there.

I honestly hate finding places to shoot. Unless you have your own land it is pretty rough finding a good place. I like wolf creek but I would hate to make that type of commute only to find out that all the ranges were full. Indoor and outdoor ranges suck because the people running the ranges are always very uptight and strict.. don't be me wrong be safe but they are overly cautious! I went to English pit last week with my fiancée It was horrible.. We went to both pistol and rifle ranges people on both ranges were rude. Every time we went cold it was take 15-20 minutes for everybody to come out. There would always be 2 or 3 people who just stayed inside and wasted everybody's time then would finally come out so we could put up another target. The range officer also went into booth and start messing with people's guns making sure they were clear. Maybe it is just me but don't be touching my firearms without my consent the least you could do is ask before you touch it. Done with ranges done with people I need me some land!

I honestly hate finding places to shoot. Unless you have your own land it is pretty rough finding a good place. I like wolf creek but I would hate to make that type of commute only to find out that all the ranges were full. Indoor and outdoor ranges suck because the people running the ranges are always very uptight and strict.. don't be me wrong be safe but they are overly cautious! I went to English pit last week with my fiancée It was horrible.. We went to both pistol and rifle ranges people on both ranges were rude. Every time we went cold it was take 15-20 minutes for everybody to come out. There would always be 2 or 3 people who just stayed inside and wasted everybody's time then would finally come out so we could put up another target. The range officer also went into booth and start messing with people's guns making sure they were clear. Maybe it is just me but don't be touching my firearms without my consent the least you could do is ask before you touch it. Done with ranges done with people I need me some land!
Wow! what u are describing there with English pit is total BS and I couldn't stand that!

Wow! what u are describing there with English pit is total BS and I couldn't stand that!
That's what I'm saying! It is unfortunate because it use to be a decent little range and price wise it is the most cost efficient range around me. This was the first time visiting this place in 6 months I quickly remembered why I don't go. Randy I believe is the older gentleman he has always been super cool and understanding the guy they have run it on the weekends is nothing but problems.

That's what I'm saying! It is unfortunate because it use to be a decent little range and price wise it is the most cost efficient range around me. This was the first time visiting this place in 6 months I quickly remembered why I don't go. Randy I believe is the older gentleman he has always been super cool and understanding the guy they have run it on the weekends is nothing but problems.
Do u know what the other guys name is? I've never been there but if I ever go I want to call ahead first and make sure the goofball weapons molester isn't working. I couldn't take that happening even one time. I would never go back if that happened. it's beyond rude, it's just totally disrespectful (barring some noob being unsafe I mean, that's different of course).

Salmonberry is a good spot if you're already at Wolf Creek. Only a little ways up the freeway and to the left.
The problem Im running into now is a bunch of jabronies getting there at 6am and setting up effin day camps. I went this last weekend.. there were about 4-5 groups absolutely entrenched: bbq, fires, beer, tables.. they were dug in for an all day event. People are spilling the beans and telling their trash monster sloppy friends about these shooting spots and its ruining it for everyone else that actually gets their shooting done in a reasonable amount of time and maintain a clean spot when the leave.

I dont mind the typical large spots being taken.. but the smaller spots are now getting these trash leaving dudes camping out all effin day. Most of the time when these basic bubblegum bros aren't shooting trees they are drinking beer and just talking.. sure they got targets set up.. but the are just chatting.. sometimes for hours… wasting space that other shooters may need to practice, function test or sight things in. I thought the early AM routine was the trick.. now there are people that get out there sooner than I do.. which makes things tough.

Salmonberry is a good spot if you're already at Wolf Creek. Only a little ways up the freeway and to the left.
The problem Im running into now is a bunch of jabronies getting there at 6am and setting up effin day camps. I went this last weekend.. there were about 4-5 groups absolutely entrenched: bbq, fires, beer, tables.. they were dug in for an all day event. People are spilling the beans and telling their trash monster sloppy friends about these shooting spots and its ruining it for everyone else that actually gets their shooting done in a reasonable amount of time and maintain a clean spot when the leave.

I dont mind the typical large spots being taken.. but the smaller spots are now getting these trash leaving dudes camping out all effin day. Most of the time when these basic bubblegum bros aren't shooting trees they are drinking beer and just talking.. sure they got targets set up.. but the are just chatting.. sometimes for hours… wasting space that other shooters may need to practice, function test or sight things in. I thought the early AM routine was the trick.. now there are people that get out there sooner than I do.. which makes things tough.
Seems like they leave piles of crap, old TVs, stuffed animals, broken chairs, garbage, and clothes everywhere. This must be a nightmare for the folks that manage those lands.

Interesting considering yesterday was Monday. Sometimes I'll drive up to the lanes on a weekday and they usually are dead.

I got tired of all the yahoos that will just show up to the same lane and start shooting with out even asking. So I go deep into the woods now if I can't snatch lane 1 or 2 at wolf creek.

Otherwise, I'm greatful I joined Tri County when I did as it's some 2-3 year wait now.

Go exploring. Sometimes you dont find anything. Occasionally you score a new spot. Keep it to yourself and keep it clean. I found a new area that was cut this winter. Get some maps mark it up cross reference with Google earth.

I found the solution a few years back. Private property. $180/year. Shooting benches, covered, hot/cold range lights, 25/50/100/200 yards, 5 pistol bays. Two miles from the house.
iwlariflerange.jpg

Been a few weeks since this thread was active but I'm currently in the same position looking for areas of land to target shoot on with the Girlfriend. Im in the Portland/Gresham area. Any recommendations on some good public areas to try out? Not looking for any private range recommendations. Thank you!

Been a few weeks since this thread was active but I'm currently in the same position looking for areas of land to target shoot on with the Girlfriend. Im in the Portland/Gresham area. Any recommendations on some good public areas to try out? Not looking for any private range recommendations. Thank you!
TNL has some spots on a map on their website.

For those looking for their own spot like everyone else dedicate a saturday of driving to explore, it might take a couple saturdays. It sucks, but if you find a spot keep it clean to discourage others using it and dont share its location.

Not to be the naybobbing nanny of negativity but maybe it's high time we stop telling everyone where these shooting lanes are. Either that or open some more to accommodate all the new shooters with their Christmas Glock's and AK's.
(oh come on you were all thinking that....)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top