JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Which is why my next property will be owned by a trust. Much harder to determine who is involved.
Good point. That might make it harder or even impossible for an angry trespasser
to find your home if you don't live on the property. But it doesn't stop them from putting up retaliatory booby traps or starting a fire in your woods the next time there is a dry spell and a serious wind. In addition there is actually a legal issue. If a road or trail has been used by the general public for years it can be claimed that it is a public access whether your deed says anything about it or not. The trail in the video looks very heavily used. My guess is a good case could be made that it is an established public access.

I know of one community in the Adirondacks where most of the woods and ponds and lakes were owned by rich guys from NY city. And those who labored on their "camps" and properties were locals. However, there was a balance of power and respect. If a rich NY city absentee owner behaved overly arrogantly or abusively towards locals, his camp tended to be "struck by lightning" when he was gone. That is burned to the ground for causes unknown. "Camps" might be anything from real camps to mansions with helicopter pads. One I visited was a simple open three-sided wooden shelter. But it was on thousands of acres of woods with deer and bear and a stocked trout pond with several canoes. Another was an entire island if several hundred acres on a lake with a full several bedroom house with a guest house, a dock and boat house and motorboat, guideboat, and canoes.

When deciding how to protect your property rights its important to avoid actions that are so extreme they inspire desire for revenge. Requiring people ask for permission to use in writing is a good idea because it confirms your property rights. Allowing the public to use without permission can establish a legal public access, so is to be avoided.

Good point. That might make it harder or even impossible for an angry trespasser
to find your home if you don't live on the property.
I intend to live on the property. I just prefer as much privacy as possible. I get junk mail/etc. from people wanting to buy my property, sell me stuff, offering cremation services and so on. I also have an unbalanced ex-wife who now apparently has internet access whom I do not want to have her show up on my doorstep after being evicted yet again, looking for a place to sleep.

There are other advantages too.

My father had dogs before they banned bear hunting with hounds. He'd also coon hunt to keep his dogs in shape and train younger dogs. Sometimes coon hunting dogs would strike near a house and we'd always ask permission to hunt I don't remember anyone saying no and lots of times it was well past midnight. Very rarely he'd lose a dog bear hunting and people would pick them up and that's were sometimes he'd have trouble with people for various reasons. I just responded cause the hounds actually throw a new twist on the subject. But I'm not at all sure about the right away with an animal treed need to retrieve dogs scenario in Oregon. Got to be some leeway to retrieve property? All other hunting I don't think any excuse is legally good enough to be on someone's land in Oregon without notice and it's potentially dangerous best to use some type of GPS app if unsure. If you think your on private leave the way you came in ASAP or it could be trouble.

Everyone I've come in to contact with out here in BFE uses On X Hunt. It shows all property boundaries including private properties and even the names of the owners. No one really has any excuse anymore unless they are a FUDD with a brick phone

4ABFD161-918D-4907-95D4-A3B8ED3AF0BE.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads