JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I purchased a new bolt action carbon hunting rifle and filled out the paperwork on the 30th. I am still #485 on the list. I have never ever seen it take this long, regardless of queue size. What exactly is taking them so long to work through the queue? What part is not fully automated?

I personally feel like this is an indirect way to introduce a waiting period.
That's insane, I can see labor day weekend could have a part of it. They only have so many that do the processing and some might have taken their time off prior to the weekend others on labor day and they just now have a full force again to do the processing.
Do they do them on Sundays ? I've heard they work on them saturdays as well.

That's insane, I can see labor day weekend could have a part of it. They only have so many that do the processing and some might have taken their time off prior to the weekend others on labor day and they just now have a full force again to do the processing.
Do they do them on Sundays ? I've heard they work on them saturdays as well.
It sucks but there is nothing anyone is going to do unless we ALL takes a stand state wide. We actually have a law were they have to release the firearm after a time but no FFL will take the hit on their business and i dont blame them. i was Held up for 60day delay and had a bunch of headaches. I have a new rifle coming next week so we shall see what the times are next week. Give it another month and we will be back up to 4k++ in line as mid terms approach.

It sucks but there is nothing anyone is going to do unless we ALL takes a stand state wide. We actually have a law were they have to release the firearm after a time but no FFL will take the hit on their business and i dont blame them. i was Held up for 60day delay and had a bunch of headaches. I have a new rifle coming next week so we shall see what the times are next week. Give it another month and we will be back up to 4k++ in line as mid terms approach.
The FFLs should be taking the stand. So far not one FFL I have gone to of the 6 I've visited which are all LGS even knew what was on the ballot this November to better inform the customers so they can be vigilant and vote this November against the ridiculous infringement.
FFLs should be following the law themeselves and hand over our paid for items after 3 days. Federal Law says so and they are not liable after those 3 days.... HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE, they want background checks they should be doing them.

A licensee may transfer a firearm to a transferee as soon as he or she receives a "proceed" from NICS (assuming that the transaction would be in compliance with state law).

However, if the licensee does not receive a final "proceed" or "denied" response from NICS, he or she must wait until 3 business days have elapsed prior to transferring the firearm.

The three days is for guns that the background process has started. Who knows when that happens?

A licensee may transfer a firearm to a transferee as soon as he or she receives a "proceed" from NICS (assuming that the transaction would be in compliance with state law).

However, if the licensee does not receive a final "proceed" or "denied" response from NICS, he or she must wait until 3 business days have elapsed prior to transferring the firearm.

The three days is for guns that the background process has started. Who knows when that happens?
The process starts when the FFL submits it. I'm going off of what I know and are understanding it. If someone here knows more let us know. I understand it and the way its posted on one of my FFLs "we understand that after 3 days of submitting your BGC you are legally able to turn over your item, but we chose to wait for an approval from OSP saying you're cleared" It's not verbatim like that but basically that's what it says.

The FFLs should be taking the stand. So far not one FFL I have gone to of the 6 I've visited which are all LGS even knew what was on the ballot this November to better inform the customers so they can be vigilant and vote this November against the ridiculous infringement.
FFLs should be following the law themeselves and hand over our paid for items after 3 days. Federal Law says so and they are not liable after those 3 days.... HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE, they want background checks they should be doing them.
Yes i agree they should but the state could cause chaos for your business. if the business lets a firearm go after 3day and something bad was to happen, you bet the state of oregon would proceed with lawsuits from state and private sector. Its not worth it to the business to do it even if the law says so. Also most store DO NOT make you pay for the firearm untill your background check clears. so in reality you only paid for a background check and not a firearm so nothing to give you after 3days. Once again the stores take the hit as they sit on a gun that could be potential sold now its out of inventory.. Some battles are not worth fighting when we have a war going, best to wait for the bigger battle.

Yes i agree they should but the state could cause chaos for your business. if the business lets a firearm go after 3day and something bad was to happen, you bet the state of oregon would proceed with lawsuits from state and private sector. Its not worth it to the business to do it even if the law says so. Also most store DO NOT make you pay for the firearm untill your background check clears. so in reality you only paid for a background check and not a firearm so nothing to give you after 3days. Once again the stores take the hit as they sit on a gun that could be potential sold now its out of inventory.. Some battles are not worth fighting when we have a war going, best to wait for the bigger battle.
ive had to pay at 4 I've used the rest were online orders and payed for

I purchased a new bolt action carbon hunting rifle and filled out the paperwork on the 30th. I am still #485 on the list. I have never ever seen it take this long, regardless of queue size. What exactly is taking them so long to work through the queue? What part is not fully automated?

I personally feel like this is an indirect way to introduce a waiting period.
Did yours clear yet ??

No, that is not correct. The process starts once it is under review by a person. Until then it sits in the que until a person does the check.
Federal Law says they have 3 days from when it's submitted to them.... that's when the counter starts. Whether they looked at it or not, it's in their hands. Them not having looked at it means they haven't done their job. That's the Federal Law, they have 3 days to do a background check. You don't get to sit in a que and when they finally feel like looking at yours the counter starts. Regardles, FFL's are to chicken bubblegum to fight back against being intimidated by non existent state mandates on the matter in Oregon. It's all electronic ! Once it's submitted they have 3 full days to complete the BGC.

Oregon does not summit the paperwork once the FFL hits the button.
It is simply in the queue.
Once it comes up, then they submit it to Nics.
I don't disagree with your thoughts, but that is how the STATE OF OREGON does it.
Oregon SHOULD NOT even be part of it.
As they were NOT part of it at the beginning.
They changed state laws for two reasons.
  1. For a revenue stream while creating more STATE jobs.
  2. To keep records of all the firearm transactions, regardless of what they say.
The federal NICS program does all the work; Oregon just imputes it into the NICS system and collects the fees.
If anything, that should be challenged and ended.

I got an instant approval on Thursday 08Sep22. Approved before I was done filling out the paperwork. I also have a CHL. Anytime I purchase a firearm I always use my CHL over my DL.

I got an instant approval on Thursday 08Sep22. Approved before I was done filling out the paperwork. I also have a CHL. Anytime I purchase a firearm I always use my CHL over my DL.
How do you get your LGS to submit the check before you fill out the paperwork? Every shop I have gone to won't submit the check until after I finish the paperwork.

CHL and ODL are connected now. Chl also does not mean insta approval. It puts you to the top of the list but you can still be delayed or kicked to the normal que line. I know because I've had it happen recently.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads