JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I'm reading this right, in OR law, FFL can release the firearm the next day if no denial or approval from the state. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. If this is correct, perhaps it's time to hold FFLs to this standard or at least identify the ones who follow it?
View attachment 1310474
View attachment 1310476
View attachment 1310477
If you can find an FFL that follows that law, please share the FFL with the group.
Most FFLs are so scared of offending OSP that even though they can release firearms under that law, they never do.

If you can find an FFL that follows that law, please share the FFL with the group.
Most FFLs are so scared of offending OSP that even though they can release firearms under that law, they never do.
It is not the OSP that is a concern.

1) Customer fills out 4473.

2) Data is sent to OSP for BGC.

3) Approval is not forthcoming, but neither is delay or denial.

4) Licensee releases firearm to customer.

5) Notice of denial is received by the FFL from OSP one week after release of firearm.

6) Licensee gets to explain to ATF agents on site how he supplied a firearm to a prohibited person.

Just because one can do a thing does not mean that he should do a thing.

Wanted to post this on this thread as well:

So I sent a request for information to the OSP and this is the response I received:

Thank you for reaching out to Ask OSP. The Oregon State Police is monitoring the progress of BM114 and assessing the required processes OSP will need to complete to implement the law. However, we are awaiting the certification of the results from the Secretary of State's Office. OSP will not be able to provide specific information until the results are certified.

Respectfully,

I never understood why the need for a redundant background check system. That's part of the issue. First time buyer should go through the process completely.

If you already own multiple firearms it should do a surface level NCIC check and give a instant approval. Or alternatively give you an exemption and you walk out with the firearm in hand. My rationale is.. You already own multiple firearms, its not going to make a difference if you obtain another.

Even if you got a domestic violence or restraining order, courts usually have the Sheriff serve you a notice to relinquish them to the nearest agency within 24 hours or face more charges.

The redundant background process of constantly treating each sale as a new buyer is what is contributing to a 10k backlog

I keep hearing certification won't happen till Dec 15 and then it's 30 days after so January to go into effect. So based on that buying anything in the next 2 weeks should theocratically be approved before that right.

I keep hearing certification won't happen till Dec 15 and then it's 30 days after so January to go into effect. So based on that buying anything in the next 2 weeks should theocratically be approved before that right.
SpanishInquisition.jpg

Now we see who's doing the BGC! I certainly didn't expect that.

Can the FFL release the firearms purchased now if the wait time for backgrounds exceeds the 30 day timeframe? EG All of the people who bought now who are currently waiting for backgrounds to clear, will they be SOL?

Can you imagine the wait time to get through the process if Ballot Measure 114 (IP 17) gets passed in the November Vote? It would be months I'm guessing. Having to apply for a permit for a gun, get a certified training class done, then finally applying to get a gun. That would suck.

This would be beneficial because measure 114 states that a dealer "may" release the firearm to the buyer after a 2 day wait with no word from the government on approval. Imagine all of the restricted people that will take advantage of that in the first few months of the measure being active

Can the FFL release the firearms purchased now if the wait time for backgrounds exceeds the 30 day timeframe? EG All of the people who bought now who are currently waiting for backgrounds to clear, will they be SOL?

This would be beneficial because measure 114 states that a dealer "may" release the firearm to the buyer after a 2 day wait with no word from the government on approval. Imagine all of the restricted people that will take advantage of that in the first few months of the measure being active
They MAY, as in at there discretion.

However based on being exceedingly rarely done in the past. By any FFL.

I find it extremely unlikely that any FFL actually WOULD. Even in this circumstance.

They MAY, as in at there discretion.

However based on being exceedingly rarely done in the past. By any FFL.

I find it extremely unlikely that any FFL actually WOULD. Even in this circumstance.
My FFL will, at least for me. But then again, there's at least two guys there that recognize my voice over the phone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top