JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah CHL hasn't mattered for a while now.
Sorta, insofar as no separate CHL queue.

However probably "helps" the computer??? Maybe??

On phone ins, it absolutely does matter. Had 2 instants (phone in) amidst my Oregon drivers license information being wiped by the DMV computer.

Initially those 2 fell into the queue, which I had thought was weird. But whatever.

Then received a call that OSP had cancelled them. Due to "a problem" with my ID.

Long story short, resubmitted & called. OSP was going to cancel again, however the super nice (truthfully - I spoke with her) trooper? Agent? Reminded me I could my CHL. Did so & instant approved.

DL issue fixed yesterday (was a Massachusetts computer glitch), new "Real ID" (paper temporary) today…

Yeah, all the non licensed scrubs cried and whined that they were going backwards in the queue during the height of 114 so they round filed the CHL line. Karens gonna Karen
I guess I can't complain too much for my own sake. While I have a CHL, I think I may have benefited anyways. As I recall, when CHL's counted, I would end up at the back of the CHL line… which, while much shorter than the overall line, would still result in a wait depending on how many other CHL holders were in line too. However under the current system, I usually get instant approvals apparently on account of being like the only person in the country with my combination of first, middle, and last name.

The count was 1800 something Tuesday when I applied for my bgc. It is what it is. I don't get to concerned about things that I can't control. Life is good. Let's go Brandon FJB. 556 is gonna be fun. I shudder did this much Earlier.

Sorta, insofar as no separate CHL queue.

However probably "helps" the computer??? Maybe??

On phone ins, it absolutely does matter. Had 2 instants (phone in) amidst my Oregon drivers license information being wiped by the DMV computer.

Initially those 2 fell into the queue, which I had thought was weird. But whatever.

Then received a call that OSP had cancelled them. Due to "a problem" with my ID.

Long story short, resubmitted & called. OSP was going to cancel again, however the super nice (truthfully - I spoke with her) trooper? Agent? Reminded me I could my CHL. Did so & instant approved.

DL issue fixed yesterday (was a Massachusetts computer glitch), new "Real ID" (paper temporary) today…
Isn't it normal for checks that are called in to be instant (or at least no longer than in a normal state) since you're not waiting for a human at OSP to look at it like when stuck in the queue? I've never had an instant when submitting the BGC electronically but I've had 2 called in (one over 30 days and one where the FFL used the wrong name) and they were both approved almost immediately after the FFL gave them all the info.

Isn't it normal for checks that are called in to be instant (or at least no longer than in a normal state) since you're not waiting for a human at OSP to look at it like when stuck in the queue? I've never had an instant when submitting the BGC electronically but I've had 2 called in (one over 30 days and one where the FFL used the wrong name) and they were both approved almost immediately after the FFL gave them all the info.
I can't imagine how an FFL operating a high volume storefront business could call in all their background checks. At the FFL I help out at, we have two phone lines. Hold times for OSP are ridiculous. On the occasions we have to call one in, it ties up a line and the person who is waiting on hold. It's not practical to wait on hold for OSP to pick up and try to help in store customers at the same time.

I guess an FFL working out of his home with not much else to do but shoot the sheet with his customer could do it more easily.

Hey @arakboss pardon my ignorance, but what would be the occasion where this would be called in? All of mine have been on the tablet on line.
There was a period of time when we had to call in the checks for permanent residents and a brief period of time where they were calling in checks for transferees under 21. I think the only ones they have to call in now is the people who don't pick up their firearms within 30days of filling out the original 4473.

An FFL can call in any of them if they want to but it takes time on the phone. I have to wonder if that's why OSP has been so slow lately. It could be that a lot more FFLs are calling in the checks and that would tie up more time for OSP operators doing the checks.

Last Edited:
There was a period of time when we had to call in the checks for permanent residents and a brief period of time where they were calling in checks for transferees under 21. I think the only ones they have to call in now is the people who don't pick up their firearms within 30days of filling out the original 4473.

An FFL can call in any of them if they want to but it takes time on the phone. I have to wonder if that's why OSP has been so slow lately. It could be that a lot more FFLs are calling in the checks and that would tie up more time for OSP operators doing the checks.
The FFL I use calls in just about everybody unless he knows they have a history of instants or they specifically request digital entry. Always on the phone.

Yeah, all the non licensed scrubs cried and whined that they were going backwards in the queue during the height of 114 so they round filed the CHL line. Karens gonna Karen
so you're proud of having to pay for your right to carry ??? that's not much of something to brag about. CHL should be gone away with period.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews