JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nickel is hard.

Over time a leather or kydex hokster will polish it but not ruin it.

Most of the worn finish nickel plated guns that I have seen and handled were from the 19th century...so with a 100 plus years of use , even nickel will show wear...

That said...Nickel is extremely durable and wear resistant... a newly nickel plated gun should easily last your lifetime , if not your kid's life time...
Andy

Electroless Nickel Plating is extremely tough. Electrolytic Nickel Plating is hard but can be damaged much easier. I used to do the Electroless Nickel Plating and still have a couple of Guns I did 40 years ago. They have been shot a lot and show no signs of wear.

If someone is interested in getting some Electroless Nickel Plating done, I would suggest you contact Brownells. They're the fine folks I got my supplies from.:):):)

I read somewhere that nickel doesn't stick to steel so they copper wash the gun before plating. Nickel is beautiful and I have a few nice guns plated with it.:D
That is part of the process used for "Electrolytic" Plating. With Electroless the part is first cleaned very completely. My favorite is to bead blast with a fine grade of material and then to run the parts through the Nickeling solution. The finished product seems to last very well. I've plated a Detonics Pistol that was Used to "Test" new parts and it has 20K plus rounds through it. Still looks NEW.

That is part of the process used for "Electrolytic" Plating. With Electroless the part is first cleaned very completely. My favorite is to bead blast with a fine grade of material and then to run the parts through the Nickeling solution. The finished product seems to last very well. I've plated a Detonics Pistol that was Used to "Test" new parts and it has 20K plus rounds through it. Still looks NEW.

I love the finish on some guns, it brings out the looks and the lines. It cleans easy and once you put a fine pair of stags on it you have a real treasure. Ya nickel is good.:D

In the early 70's the FBI had their Gulf Coast bound S&W service revolvers so heavily nickle plated you couldn't insert a cartridge into the cylinder.
Read that piece of trivia in G. Gordon Liddy's autobiography.

In the early 70's the FBI had their Gulf Coast bound S&W service revolvers so heavily nickle plated you couldn't insert a cartridge into the cylinder.
That can happen with the Older process but Electroless Nickel Plating makes that sort of thing impossible. When I was doing it I ran a couple of tests. Like leaving a part in the Solution for 6 times the "Normal" and the part was still usable. I really liked the process.

Just bought a 29-2 4inch barrel with a nickel finish off of gun broker. I have been planning on doing a lot of bow hunting and wanted to have a 44 with me. The finish is probably at like 90%. Hoping it will be plenty weather proof this spring and fall.

Just won the auction last night!

59C85CDD-3E6F-4E8E-B0E0-FFEA7069CD69.jpg 1C5A0B38-D5BF-449D-BA1C-7D8DF72EAA63.jpg 9FDAEB0F-9064-40C2-924D-4C153B3B4476.jpg 66206D22-BEF3-48A7-99CA-C2EE030ED378.jpg 971779B1-D422-41AC-8B7D-AA9B30D84416.jpg 0AC323BF-21E7-4C1A-B91F-516E84EB7912.jpg

The Smith and Wesson Model 29-2 will be Plated with the Older style of Plating. You need to be Very careful when cleaning your gun. Hoppes #9 has been known to react with the Old Style Plating and cause it to begin flaking. I suggest Corrosion-X be used for cleaning and protection. If any of the Nickel Plating is chipped at all it will only get worse. As you may have guessed, I'm not a big fan of the older plating.

I wrote this before I saw your pictures. It doesn't appear to have any damage but I'd look under the Stocks just to be sure. That's where many Issues seem to hide. Good Luck.

Just bought a 29-2 4inch barrel with a nickel finish off of gun broker. I have been planning on doing a lot of bow hunting and wanted to have a 44 with me. The finish is probably at like 90%. Hoping it will be plenty weather proof this spring and fall.
The most useful handgun ever made. My 629 is always near. Effective for everything from bad guys to a coyote at 100 yards. In many states 44 Mag is the smallest pistol caliber legal for big game. I love nickle guns, my 1980's 4" Python electroless and Trooper MKIII traditional nickle are immaculate after a lot of carrying and use. My 870 Marine Magnum (nickle) has spent a couple of decades on my various workboats in salt water with no ill effects. That is a lovely M29.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads