JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grandfather had a nickel-plated .38 spc. I shot as a kid. About to get a new one, S&W does not offer Nickel-plated Model 36 revolver new anymore so looking to buy a blued one and have it refinished.

Reading online looks like hard chrome is the choice of many over nickel-plated these days. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Vendors:
Looking at using these guys in PA for the work, $175 for everything back to my door. Seams reasonable. Firearm Plating -Mahovsky's Metalife
Any other vendors you have a good experience with?

I've had the nickel too, it's distinctive but it just reminds me of a cap gun. These are the guys that do the NP3 now that ROBAR is no more.... NP3 & Metal Finishing | Wright Armory

I think they do a hard chrome but its matte, which is not what I think you're looking for. I have several guns I want to get NP3+ coated.

***Corrected, they do a nickel too, but it's the satin finish. I think that's easier than getting it all shiny and stuff. Seems like you're going for shiny! I'd love to hear the story when you get it all done.

Last Edited:
I have Wilson Combat CQB that was one of the last pistols they Hard Chrome'd before they discontinued offering the finish. I love it from a "looks" perspective. But I would never do HC again.

Issue #1 is that the chrome has warn away in the magwell. The magwell is obviously a high wear area. The problem, however, is that HC offers zero rust protection once it's warn down. So I have to make sure I keep a liberal coat of wax on it to keep the rust at bay

Issue #2 is what we believe is another rust spot on the frame near the dust cover. We "THINK" what has happened is that through normal cycling of the weapon the underside of the finish has developed very tiny cracks and this pistol is rusting in this spot from the inside out. So there is nothing that can be done to mitigate this from the outside. This may or may not be the result of the pistol being improperly prepped before it was chromed.

I'm literally in the middle of this right now and am waiting for the pandemic crap to subside to get the pistol back to them to take a look at and figure out what is going on and whose fault it is. But if it's on me, I'm looking at about $450 for shipping, stripping and refinishing. :rolleyes:

As a side note, this pistol has lived a fairly easy life. It's primarily a range gun and spends most of it's downtime in the safe with it's brothers and sisters. It is the only gun in my collection that I've got rust issues with.

68738959-98F9-4F27-9382-C9E262410BFD.gif

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top