JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Our town has an internet classified ad page and my wife forwarded me a link to a guy who was needed money more than some ammo odds and ends. From the pic posted I knew everyone would be fighting over the 22LR, but my eye immediately caught an out of focus box of 9mm. "How much for the Winchester JHP?" I inquired. "I shot 3 out of the box, so I am only asking $10 for the remaining 17". SOLD

Not a bad deal for 147gr Black Talon 9mm at $0.59 each!

So I bring them home and show my wife who says "The price tag is $8.99, and you paid $10. How is that a deal?"

Followed by "The box is old. Are you sure these are still good?"

I told her to open the box and take a look.

"There are only 17 in here and you paid over full price"

Then she removes a cartridge and examines the hollow point.

"Oooo, these look mean. And dangerous." I think she gets it now.

I sold ten boxes of Black Talon because I was advised by a lawyer to get rid of them. If you shoot and kill someone with that bullet, the dead guy's family lawyer will try to show that you knew you had a "killing" bullet. "Justsaying"

Aren't all bullets "killing"?

I am not sure if I will just keep them for posterity or use them to load the 17 round spare magazine of my home defense pistol.

I sold ten boxes of Black Talon because I was advised by a lawyer to get rid of them. If you shoot and kill someone with that bullet, the dead guy's family lawyer will try to show that you knew you had a "killing" bullet. "Justsaying"

Modern jhps are more effective, you got bum advice

all bullets are "killing". your lawyer is an idiot. i would advise you to get rid of your lawyer before he gives you more bad info.

Modern jhps are more effective, you got bum advice
Yes. Winchester moved to Rangers which are better. Black Talons are also inferior to Federal HST, Gold Dots, and probably others including Hydra-shocks which were good when they were new.

They are worth money as a collectible because they aren't manufactured, are recognizable, and are evil.:s0114:

I'd look elsewhere for a defense round though.

all bullets are "killing". your lawyer is an idiot. i would advise you to get rid of your lawyer before he gives you more bad info.

His advice made perfect sense to me. In court: Lawyer: "Sir: you went out of your way to find the most lethal dangerous bullet ever on the market.... a bullet that was discontinued and banned.... and you loaded your gun with it just waiting to kill the neighborhood kid that broke into your house. You did not want to just wound him or slow him down, you loaded your gun with a bullet designated too dangerous for the public to own just so you could kill him."

Something like that.

I find that laughable every bullet is or can be a killing bullet just as they are. Crazy hey.

His advice made perfect sense to me. In court: Lawyer: "Sir: you went out of your way to find the most lethal dangerous bullet ever on the market.... a bullet that was discontinued and banned.... and you loaded your gun with it just waiting to kill the neighborhood kid that broke into your house. You did not want to just wound him or slow him down, you loaded your gun with a bullet designated too dangerous for the public to own just so you could kill him."

Something like that.

christ on a cracker. the bullet was not "banned". and bullets are not designed to "wound" or "slow down". they are designed to STOP THE THREAT. if you are specifically planning to shoot to wound or "slow down", you are going to be in deep legal trouble. ask any law enforcement officer if they are shooting with the intention to "wound" or "slow down" a threat.

you are getting bad advice. who knows what other bad advice you've gotten from this lawyer. you should find another one.

Have you tried it in your gun to make sure that it won't jam? You're better off getting a box of modern JHPs and running a few boxes through your gun to make sure it's going to work.

christ on a cracker. the bullet was not "banned". and bullets are not designed to "wound" or "slow down". they are designed to STOP THE THREAT. if you are specifically planning to shoot to wound or "slow down", you are going to be in deep legal trouble. ask any law enforcement officer if they are shooting with the intention to "wound" or "slow down" a threat.

you are getting bad advice. who knows what other bad advice you've gotten from this lawyer. you should find another one.

With the juries now days made up of women that watch Oprah all day, that kind of garbage from an attorney might just sway them against the shooter. The question is why chance it? It's been posted that there is much better defense ammo available currently over the counter with zero bad press. My advice would be sell the Black Talon to a collector and go buy some fresh better bullets for home defense. But my advice is worth just what it costs.

I keep a couple of options at the ready, both non-fatal and fatal. That way I have a range of options. I am also looking for the glaser safety slugs for .40 S&W for the practical as well as the potential impressions this might make.

In this day and age, it is best that you have done your due diligence. I think the black talons would be better kept as a interesting curio or as an investment. I have seen them on gun broker as a collectible.

Going by your attorney's 'logic', I have to leave the samurai sword on the stand and attack the intruder with a butter knife or grab the .22 snub nose instead of the .50 cal desert eagle.

If someone breaks into my house, I'm going to take the best tool I have to stop the threat to me and my family. If I had a phaser, I'd use it.

Lawsuit:
Lets say that:
1. the intruder has a family
2. has a family that will acknowledge publicly that he was a member of their family
3. has a family that has the resources to bring a lawsuit, and
4. they can get the number of your attorney to represent them.

In court: Lawyer: "Sir: you went out of your way to find the most lethal dangerous bullet ever on the market.... a bullet that was discontinued and banned.... and you loaded your gun with it just waiting to kill the neighborhood kid that broke into your house. You did not want to just wound him or slow him down, you loaded your gun with a bullet designated too dangerous for the public to own just so you could kill him."

Me: I loaded that pistol to stop anyone who might break into my house and threaten the safety of me and my family. *pointing out and calling each and every member of my family by name in the courtroom* In addition, many would argue that the black talon is actually inferior to some of the newer bullets on the market and as far as I know, its not banned here in Oregon. Besides, I could have done much more damage with my 12 gauge shotgun if I would have had time to get to it. That 00 buckshot is much more devastating than that tiny 9mm bullet. *My attorney shows the jury snap cap/dummy rounds of a 9mm v. 12 gauge shotgun shell previously admitted for evidence*

I keep a couple of options at the ready, both non-fatal and fatal. That way I have a range of options. I am also looking for the glaser safety slugs for .40 S&W for the practical as well as the potential impressions this might make.

In this day and age, it is best that you have done your due diligence. I think the black talons would be better kept as a interesting curio or as an investment. I have seen them on gun broker as a collectible.

I carry a Magsafe in the chamber and usually Speer Gold Dots in my mags..

It's not about the bullet! It was about D.A.s trying to put your feather in their caps! This,
"killer in the courts" stuff was bandied about when Black Talons first came out. I'm pretty sure that modern bullet designs haven't magically turned Black Talons into absolute crAp all of a sudden! Will it probably go through a bad guys pump and bellows? I imagine they will work just fine then. If you just can't trust them....perhaps a quadruple tap.

Something like that.

SIR, I used the ammo that would stop the threat as quickly as possible as to not have any more collateral damage than necessary. This ammo is designed to that purpose.

Stupid argument and if your lawyer can't figure this bubblegum out get a new one.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top