JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know Bill Bakke. I once built a custom addition on his SW Portland home.
I mentioned his name while I was visting the Whiskey Creek fish hatchery at Neatarts bay.
You should have seen the looks I got from the guys running the hatchery.
It was like shouting out I was friends with the Devil at a holy roller revival meeting down south.

I mentioned his name while I was visting the Whiskey Creek fish hatchery at Neatarts bay.
It was like shouting out I was friends with the Devil at a holy roller revival meeting down south.

When you attempt to take away work from some who might view theirs as a spiritual renewal, that is how you should be treated! Of course I am our Buddy Bill.

Maybe I can make some punching bag bill dolls for all the sportsmen out there, or how about Bobble Head Bill for the dash board.

I am headed outside to put my NO NFS bumper sticker on right now.

The Native Fish Society is a non profit organization that promotes having only native fish in the rivers/lakes and to do away with all of the fish hatcheries.
I don't agree with all of Bill Bakke's dogma, but I do believe that hatchery fish are a lessor quality in general.
We have screwed up most, if not all of the rivers and waterways. And coupled with overfishing, logging and pollution, I don't see how the native fish could ever regain the numbers that they once held.

Spend the money from licenses and such on improving the habitat, redesign the hatcheries to provide for a greater genetic sampling resulting in better hatchery raised fish, if need be close fishing to systems that are in the worst danger, oh.... IOW, do what we (the tax payers) thought ODFW was doing the past 44 years!!

Oh, and thanks for the story!!

I have been writing companies explaining why I am boycotting their product due to their support of NFS. Here below is the response I received from Filson.

Hi Chris,

Our customer service department passed along your email regarding Filson's support of the Native Fish Society. I just joined Filson a couple of weeks ago and yours is the second email I have received on the subject. As I asked the first person who emailed me about it, could you bear with me for a week or two while I look into this and get back to you? I am currently reviewing the various non-profit organizations that we have supported in the past and we are looking at what's best for us to support in the future.

What would be helpful, would be if you could explain a bit more to me about your perspective on the issue? We have many avid anglers and conservation loving supporters and I am hearing different sides of the issue. It would be helpful to hear yours.

Best regards,

Susan Towers
Director of Communications
Ph. (+1) 206 805 3684
E. [email protected]
1741 1st Ave. S. Seattle, WA 98134

Put pressure on NFS, I will not give in, so Bill can go out and catch hatchery fish then sue the state for putting them their.

I will outright admit it, This has become my personal political vendetta. We will be running a stab em and slab em party on the BBQ this spring. I may invite the entire NWF members, what do ya guys think?

Last Edited:

You are so lucky to still be breathing air man!!!! This hypocrite and his crones are the ruin of fishing to the sportsfishing community as a whole!!!! Dividing us is their goal!!!

Here is the response I received to a letter I wrote New Seasons.....I was kind of surprised that New Seasons doesn't care that in the future, if NFS gets their way, that they will be hard pressed to get that "Wild Caught" fish for their fish counter. Or they figure that there's enough wealthy people shopping there that they will be able to sell $30.00-$40.00 lb fish.

Hello, Mike,

Thanks so much for your Concordia appreciation — and for your concern regarding the state of fishing in the Pacific Northwest.

I want to assure you that our support of NFS was carefully considered, as was the feedback we've received from concerned fishermen like yourself. Through it all, we still feel positive about our support of the Native Fish Society. Though they are opposed to fishing in certain areas, their mission appears to be one of conservation and restoration. In addition, their connection with well-known organizations such as Trout Unlimited, Federation of Fly Fishers, Wild Salmon Center, Fish First, and Clark-Skamania Fly Fishes, gives them a broad base of support from rather moderate organizations — including those affiliated with sports-fishing. Still, we certainly value customer feedback such as yours, and we’ll be taking your point of view into consideration the next time that we have an opportunity to support NFS or other fish conservation nonprofits.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us, and have a splendid although somewhat torrential day!

Cordially,
Mary

Mary Alison Leatart
Customer Advocate
New Seasons Market

Subject: Disappointed in New Seasons.....

First off I'd like to say I shop at the NE 33rd and Killingsworth store. I admire the selections and freshness of your produce and meats. I am also a gardener, in my job AND my 2200sf garden. I do my best to be as "Organic" as I can.
My disappointment comes in now that I've seen you supported the Native Fish Society with dollars in 2013. I'm 58 years old and have fished since I was four or so. I fish quite a bit for fall salmon, summer steel head spring salmon and pan fish. I not only fish for the joy of it, I fish for the food it provides my family. When I can no longer expect to bring (Quality), fresh caught fish home I will sell my boat.

New Seasons Support of the NFS is supporting the removal of catch and keep, quality, healthful fish for the tables of the North West, and everywhere else. If the NFS keep going with their attack on hatchery fish New Seasons will, eventually, have issues getting salmon for their fish department. The need for quality, healthful fish in our country exceeds what is available, this is why hatcheries WILL be needed. Hatcheries are constantly working to provide a better product, and without continued funding will lose the ability to adapt and change for the better. The NFS has used some questionable science to sway judge Ancer Haggerty in their recent lawsuit regarding hatchery fish in the Sandy River. There are many hatchery runs in NW rivers that were discontinued 10+ years ago, and the (so called) wild component has NOT come back, to any point to allow a catch and keep fishery anyway. It's just not as simple as..."Remove hatchery fish and wild fish come back", there are many more things at play.

I seems to me New Seasons support of the NFS is not good business for New Seasons. I will in the future think twice before I shop. Fred Meyer has a beautiful organic vegetable section with good prices, house made fresh sausage and a large specialty cheese section, (Those happen to be my favorite departments at New Seasons)

Please consider that fishing for recreation and food, hunting for recreation and food, and myriad other outdoor activities are, historically, a grand part of the Northwest experience and, possibly the greatest importance, economics. Many many people depend on these recreational endeavors, economically, to feed their families.

Thanks for reading.

I am boycotting them too! What I get from them can be purchased off the Internet! (New Reasons)

Ha!

I thanked them for helping me to save money, and shop harder and most of all SMARTER! Most of the places listed on the donor list I am noticing is charging more for their product than its actually worth.

Last Edited:
I was blissfully ignorant of the NFS other than what I have read in this thread but this Bill Bakke appears to be nothing more than an old hippy who is working on his last attempt to resurrect some worthless idealism in the form of the 'NSF'. Little more than a grandstanding loudmouth not unlike those of the past who accomplished nothing but getting their 15 minutes of fame.

NFS is a non-profit organization, but it's also Bill's way to make a living.

Have some proof? Yea we know he works(?) there. Give a dog a bone eh?

That sure would show prejudice on their actions. The Gill Netters are not even off the river yet, you think a 6 or 8 inch mesh net restriction would take only the hatchery fish?

Try just the larger more fit species.

Before I blow a fuse why does not Bill join our fun over here? Its wide open for your case, there Mr. Bill.

I was blissfully ignorant of the NFS other than what I have read in this thread but this Bill Bakke appears to be nothing more than an old hippy who is working on his last attempt to resurrect some worthless idealism in the form of the 'NSF'. Little more than a grandstanding loudmouth not unlike those of the past who accomplished nothing but getting their 15 minutes of fame.

Public Worthless Egoism.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR