JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did something stupid...considering that this is my first post here, it may still be a surprise to you fellows.

Bought a 14.5'' barrel on Gunbroker 'cause the 16'' on a M4 is just yucky.

Obviously, I can't just put my kit together now because I'd be comitting a Class (A/B/C/Q) Felony.

Makes no sense, considering the rifle would still be longer than a bullpup AK...

(Yeah, I read the rules...AFTER I bought the barrel...I just want to rant)

Anyone know a good gunsmith that would be willing to permanently attach my phantom flash hider for a decent price? Been offered $120 at Rich's in Donald... but I'm stingy.

Can I have my cake and eat it too? :huh:

I have to add two cents because this is a subject I have thought about for awhile.

I don't understand the compromise of winding up with a barrel length which is 16" anyway but one which is only able to achieve the muzzle velocity of a 14.5" barrel for the sake of looking like something it isn't.

Though in civilian use the difference it makes of 147 feet of range for fragmentation (in ss109 ammo) may not be an issue (certainly not in a likely SD situation) it's just seems like having "mag-look" wheels -which weigh the same as the steel rims. :huh:

:s0013:OK rant off. :s0114:

Thanks for the answers guys.

I see what you're saying Doc... if I'd known better, I would have gotten a 16'' barrel in the first place. Being military, 14.5'' looks more natural. I spent the money on it in ignorance, only because I thought it was prettier/cooler/fill-in-the-blank.

At this point, it would be cheaper and less of a hassel to put a phantom on it, rather than return it or register it as an SBR.

The less I have to deal with the ATF, the better, lol.

Sell me the 14.5" barrel and use the funds to buy a 16"er. I'll help you disassemble/assemble if you like too! IM me if you are interested!

Or, take your upper to a good machine shop and have them drill, install a blind pin, then weld it up. Shouldn't cost more than $50 at a reputable shop like Eastco Machine in Gresham. They've built several engines for me in the past and their pricing is always the best around. They'll work on damn near anything as evidenced by them never machining a Modular Ford engine until I showed up with 3! :s0155:

I used JB Weld to attach a muzzle brake to one of my AK rifles about 5 years and many thousands of rounds ago,it's still going strong...I just gooped up the threads on the brake really well,put a light coat on the outside end 1/2" of the barrel,pushed them together,and used a toothpick remove the excess from the crown area...Stuck a cleaning rod with masking tape on it inside the barrel to keep it on straight while the JB cured.Two days later it was done...YMMV...

I used JB Weld to attach a muzzle brake to one of my AK rifles about 5 years and many thousands of rounds ago,it's still going strong...I just gooped up the threads on the brake really well,put a light coat on the outside end 1/2" of the barrel,pushed them together,and used a toothpick remove the excess from the crown area...Stuck a cleaning rod with masking tape on it inside the barrel to keep it on straight while the JB cured.Two days later it was done...YMMV...

Law states it must be 16" and permently attached by bind pin or welded,

you may have in your mind made it perment however the Law will not see it that way. the law it quite clear.

even a pressed on extension which if done right is far more permenent than a bind pin it still is not legal in the eyes of the law

it is a really easy process to do this drill it but not into the bore i like to pre drill the fh and do it towards the side so it completly misses the bore but goes in a way that makes it impossible to twist without tearing up the front of the barrel . bind pin it , put a small weld over it to insure the pin stays clean it up and park refinish or even blue with the blackest blue which you can get at joes or bi mart.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top