JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I had a Marlin Camp-45 come in recently. It was listed as in "excellent" condition. Was it? Nope. Imagine that, a Gunbroker listing that was full of bullplop.

Problems:

• The magazine hold-open doesn't always disengage. It sometimes takes running the slide back and forth more than once to get it to close with no magazine inserted.
  • The small, hair-line crack I noticed on the stock became a very big problem this evening whilst running through a few magazines*. :eek:
* This:
marlinprob1.jpg

marlinprob3.jpg

So, I did a disassembly, and as far as I can see:

• The bolt-hold open issue is caused by a bent spring on said.
  • When breaking it down, I noticed some off-white colored, well, crap fall out. It looks to me the recoil buffer is there, but chewed up, and that explains the debris that came out. And, for that matter, perhaps the stock self-destructing.
  • The stock issue was sort of a surprise, but it now be toast, so that is a moot point.
My plan:

• I ordered a new spring and recoil buffer from Numrich.
  • I ordered a nice, hardwood replacement stock from Boyd's. (As this is for my sidekick, I went with a stock that will fit said, and had her initials laser engraved for the grins.)
Beyond that, any other ideas? Thanks all. :)

Its too bad you are experiencing this but I avoided a 'Camp' rifle because of some bad reviews I read many years ago.
Particularly the plastic magwell - I was told these were not very good and got brittle over the years and if it breaks - end of story.

I've read tons about this model and cracked stocks. Not uncommon from the things I've read.

I can't say anything about the rest.

Seems to me I'd be taking in a rather harsh tone to the seller right about now.

There is certainly a market for this rifle however, if you devote sell.

I think I would replace the buffer and recoil spring, and repair the stock instead of replacing. Then you could shoot it a little and then decide.I think most people go a little heaver on the recoil spring.

Seems to me I'd be taking in a rather harsh tone to the seller right about now

I just sent her details, and left an accurate feedback on the deal. It was crap from stem to stern:

• She listed, and I selected, ground for shipping, but sent it priority mail and I was stuck paying for said.
  • It was listed as accepting credit card, she couldn't, and after some Quixotic back and forth, I just sent her a MO. She, cluelessly, assumed PayPal handled gun sales.
  • The item was listed as "excellent" condition and it has been a problem. Said problems may be easily solved, but still.
In about 17 years on Auction Arms, I only left three nasty reviews, before abandoning said site. Two were outright deadbeats who didn't pay up. One was grossly inaccurate in the description ("works great", but the revolver wouldn't function in single-action mode).

In the last 13 years on Gunbroker have never, until tonight, left a negative review on said platform. I was gracious with her newbie-ness on the first two, even though both cost me something, but the issues today warranted such a review. She said a "dealer (FFL) friend" handled the listings, so maybe he's to blame for the last one.

I think I would replace the buffer and recoil spring, and repair the stock instead of replacing. Then you could shoot it a little and then decide.I think most people go a little heaver on the recoil spring.

Good idea, if it can be fixed. The more I think about it though, the more I realize I simply don't have time for this stuff any more. Sad, but true.

If anyone wants a Camp-45 cheap (though in full disclosure it needs some work) here you go. Otherwise, I might send it to the cannibals at Numrich.

Have you thought about an AR9 Pistol?:D
It's just an SBR without the stock, and a wrist brace would suffice.:rolleyes:

Funny you mention it. Though we do not do braces, we most certainly do SBRs. :D

Agreed. That is cheap and easy to do. I do recommend a stronger recoil spring.

The Camp Carbines are fun and fine. If you end up deciding to sell it, it will be worth far more in fully working condition.

Well, caca, I'm working on a to do list for tomorrow. If I can get up earlier enough to hit the city in time for UPS, I think I'll just dump it in on Numrich. Heck, I lost at least twice as much on the stock market this week, so what's another hit. :s0112:

Last Edited:
Bummer. Wolff may have the solution to the buffer problem. After finding the contact point which caused the crack and relieving it, I would glue the stock and stain it black. I was advised, in no uncertain terms, by a Wolff tech that a properly sprung gun needs no buffer. OK.

They have 16.5 and 21 lb recoil springs.

EDIT: Looks like the rear of the receiver is curved while the stock cutout is straight. Some judicious relieving at that point of apparent contact "should" cure the cracking. I would take this as a challenge and make the sellers junk into your jewel. They are a cool gun that just needed a little finish work - which is now in your hands.

Last Edited:
Just went on GB to see what your rifle was selling for. When typing Marlin Camp 45, Marlin Camp 45 stock popped up as first choice. Could be that stock failure is common with that rig.

The more I think on this, the more I am thinking of dumping it, rather than spending more time and funds on said. o_O

I experienced the same stock issue, but caught it when it first cracked and stopped shooting it until I replaced parts. The recoil buffer failing is the cause of the cracked stock. I also ordered a couple of replacements from Numrich. I found a nice Choate folding stock to replace the wood version.

By then it lost the "cool" factor and went down the road.

Mine was a 45, but I ran a couple of boxes off ammo through a 9mm version back in the 80's and came to the same conclusion then, too. Neat little carbine, but one I don't have a want or need for.
The 9mm I passed on ended up in the hands of a friend who isn't much for shooting, but needed a gun for pest control around his place and found the Camp to be perfect. Me? I'd rather pack a Mod 94 or an AR pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top