JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, been loving my new 10/22, but I am ready for some optics. I've been shopping around for scopes and I think I've settled on the

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 Dead-Hold BDC

But now I need a suitable rail and rings. I've heard about not mixing metals and been reading about lapping. So I decided to hit you guys up for some advice and your opinions.

My Ruger came with a rail but should I be getting a different one to go with this setup?

Tell me about Lapping, do I need to be looking at a bench/vise to do the lapping? Internet is great but first hand experience from people is always better in my eyes.

Is this a service I can have a gunsmith or store do?

Thanks
-B

Last Edited:
Buy warne rings. They require no lapping as the clamp differently than traditional rings.

You don't really need a new base unless you really want one. The one the 10-22 is fine.

If not I have a 15moa pic rail that is cerakoted od green I'll mail your way.

E64D39F3-9294-489C-9A44-501125C1CAA8.jpeg

Last Edited:
As for mounting it, just diy. It's not hard. A level helps as does a vise of some sort, but on a 22, you can just eyeball the crosshairs level and it should be plenty fine.

For the 32mm objective you can probably get away with low rings.

200 1 inch Fixed Low Rings -

You can also try Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts they work great and will not leave ring marks which will kill your scope value if you try to sell it. They are reasonably priced and most stores/online outlets sell them. I have over a dozen. Check them out.

Warne rings are awesome. About all I use these days. I have some extra medium height Warne's I would let you have for twenty bucks and I live in Keizer. (They might be short now that I look at them.)

Last Edited:
When I added a rail, and scope and rings (both Leupold) to my Ruger 10/22 I discovered that even with maximum adjustment it was shooting low. Apparently it is a common problem with 10/22s
Mounted Scope, Have Problem. - RimfireCentral.com Forums
10/22 Scope Rail Shimming - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I fixed it by shimming the rear of the rail https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ope-shims/hart-scope-base-shims-prod6883.aspx

Now it is dialed in with plenty of elevation adjustment still available.

kuElXSA.jpg

Warnes are great (spendy), but I have found Weaver Quad locks to be all I need, especially to get you started (I use them on all my 10/22's and a new 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots .5 moa with them). You can Amazon them for about $10-12 or Walmart (low would be best, but med heights would work dandy). They are light, tight, and I have found them to be solid. To mount (without a lap tool or a gun vise) 1. Take the ring tops off, place the ring base in the cross slot and push the front one tight to the front of the slot (toward muzzle) and the rear one tight to the back of the slot and tighten them down very tight while holding them tight against the slot walls. I run the base screws on the left side of the receiver. 2. Place the scope in the open rings, put the caps on real lightly. 3. Shoulder the rifle and aim the cross hairs at a vertical line (edge of garage door for me, and gently turn the scope cross hairs to follow the line. Move the scope back and forth to get the eye relief you need. (2x is more forgiving that 7x) 3. Set the gun down gently and begin to tighten the ring cap screws alternately keeping the ring gaps equal on both sides. 4. Before you make the final cinches on the screws, check the vertical alignment again. Go to the range, start at 25yds, find the paper and move the impact to bull, move to 50 yds, repeat, etc. Here's a set of "lows" I think.
407412-ad2c7f7bd0923b716c2ae6f3a72642ea.jpg

Last Edited:
Warne rings are awesome. About all I use these days. I have some extra medium height Warne's I would let you have for twenty bucks and I live in Keizer. (They might be short now that I look at them.)

I think I'll take you up on that, hit you up this weekend to get em?

They are the short version. Make sure they will fit...they wouldn't fit my 10/22 with a bull barrel and if you have the carbine you have to make sure the scope will clear that fold down front sight. You are welcome to them if they do fit. Send me a message and we can work out details of getting them to you.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top