JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe he's related to this guy.

i6flex.jpg

I am obviously looking at this wrong.. so dumbass #1 is hold a mag to the bottom of a revolver pistol grip to prove??? If the idea is that somehow he is going to magically feed rounds from the mag into the cylinder, wouldn't you think he should have the mag so it feeds to the FRONT of the dammed gun?

This is obviously one of the guys the anti gun folks is using for a template for all gun owners :mad:
It looks to me like some dumb kid who wants to look "cool". YouTube is full of morons doing stupid stuff like this.

If you want to improve you trigger control in single action, only load for or five live rounds and the rest empties. Give the cylinder a spin and close without looking. You'll see pretty quick if your jerking or anticipating recoil. I get a pretty good laugh at myself sometimes!

I tried it your way and it works! I noticed right off that I have one heck of a flinch.

The_Deer_Hunter_-_De_Niro_Russian_Roulette.png

I always wonder about the "ring around the cylinder". I vaguely remember hearing or reading that the way to avoid that is to close the cylinder without rotating it after it's closed, pull the hammer back, then while controlling the hammer pull the trigger and slowly let down the hammer.

If that works, still it gives me a queasy feeling, for obvious reasons.

I guess maybe I'll not worry about the ring, and rotate the cylinder when closed until it locks. Sometimes safety trumps aesthetics. :eek:

Recoil, generally a revolver has more recoil and for some with small hands can sting a tad.
They are more reliable from what all reports point to.
I think the most think people forget is keeping their thumb down, if a person is used to semi-auto pistols they tend to get lazy
with their thumb placement depending on the pistol caliber, you could get a small burn, or lose a finger.
I have had a couple over the years and when I get rid of one I need up missing them.
I think everyone in the thread covered most stuff to avoid and to know about.

I always wonder about the "ring around the cylinder". I vaguely remember hearing or reading that the way to avoid that is to close the cylinder without rotating it after it's closed, pull the hammer back, then while controlling the hammer pull the trigger and slowly let down the hammer.

If that works, still it gives me a queasy feeling, for obvious reasons.

I guess maybe I'll not worry about the ring, and rotate the cylinder when closed until it locks. Sometimes safety trumps aesthetics. :eek:

Mostly, it's only the guys that own a COLT SAA that worry about cylinder rings. OK, maybe other owners of other expensive handguns too.

Some people seem to think that cylinder drag is an indication of how well timed the revolver is. Or, how well it's been USED. And, it is, sort of. However, they should also be looking at the wear on the locking cut out/stops on the cylinder, the end shake, drop a "range rod" down the barrel, etc...etc......

You do know that handguns are hand fitted, right? And, there is a price to pay for "hand fitted."

Anyway......personally, the way I look at it is.....I don't worry too much about the cylinder rings. Other than it looks ugly if it's really bad. Blue vs SS. Gouge vs yup, it's there. Yup, I shoot my COLT SAA. It's suppose to be shot. And, cylinder rings are just that......it comes with ownership.

SAA357Mag009.jpg

SAA357Mag007.jpg

I wouldn't expect perfect, unless it's NIB. Yup, those plastic ties that you frequently see on COLT SAAs. Humm....if I can't try the hammer pull back and trigger pulls on all of the 6 cylinders....how am I suppose to evaluate it correctly?

BTW....there is also a technique that one is suppose to use to remove and replace the cylinder from the frame of a SAA.

Lord, oh lord....just shoot it already. Be it a, S&W, Taurus, Colt, Charter Arms, Dan Wesson, Ruger, whatever...... I always get a kick out of watching a prospective buyer looking over a handgun. Because, it's not only about a cylinder ring (or lack of).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Ejector rods are generally reverse threads, so if you find yourself taking the cylinder off the crane, put the rod end in a padded vise, not the cylinder and then place some spent shells in at least three opposite holes and gently hand twist the cylinder in a right hand direction.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top