JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just bought a well used Rossi 971 4" in .357 on my not-favorite site (I did watch here for a long time so don't blame me :).
I'm aware there's been a recall for this model after at least 2 people had injury causing ND's from dropping it - with a 38 million dollar lawsuit following. Now i'm wondering a few things and thought you kind folks can offer me some advice.

First- Is it stupid to put the revolver in a vice and smack the hammer to see if it fires, thus testing for defect? If it seems ok, i'll keep it.

If it's defective I can send it away, likely for many months to see what Taurus (new ownership) thinks. From what i've read they'll do 1 of 3 things.
1- send it back saying it's fine.
2- repair it
3- Send me a new replacement.
The new replacement option is kinda awesome. As you guessed, i bought the Rossi because i'm on a budget but have wanted a .357 for a long time. If Taurus wants to send me a new model 66 it seems like a great deal.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
I checked all three of my Rossi revolvers. NONE were a "Hit".

1674018114584.jpeg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
A similar thing happened to me with a similar model, with details here. TL/DR: Took my revolver, replaced it with a 605 snub, and never made good on the "inconvenience" payment. Real classy outfit. :eek:

A similar thing happened to me with a similar model, with details here. TL/DR: Took my revolver, replaced it with a 605 snub, and never made good on the "inconvenience" payment. Real classy outfit. :eek:
Oh damn, that's just stupid of them. Did they give you any reason for such a Dumbass unfair trade?

Last Edited:
The 66 is a solid gun. There's a $10 spring kit that will reduce the very heavy (11+ lb?) double action but still keep it in a safe range. While it's open, take a few minutes to polish and grease the sear surfaces and you'll have a darn nice revolver.

Had the exact same thing happen on the Taurus semi-auto recall. Sent in a black 24/7 Pro in .45 for trigger repair under warranty, didn't realize there was a recall active. They played the song and dance of "we can't repair it, but will replace it", and kept dropping the replacement model type and value. 2+ years later I finally ended up with a FDE G2C in 9mm valued at half the cost of my original gun. Still have a couple Taurus pistols, but will never buy a new gun of theirs again, and will never send another gun back in to those guys for repair, warranty or not.

I'm aware there's been a recall for this model after at least 2 people had injury causing ND's from dropping it - with a 38 million dollar lawsuit following. Now i'm wondering a few things and thought you kind folks can offer me some advice.
Yes, don't drop it.

We are kind, thank you...and frequently exceptionally sarcastic. :cool: Seriously, I wish I could offer good advice. Any chance of actually talking with a human at the company to get any feel for what they are doing? Tough call on this, especially with some of the history posted here. Best of luck and hope it works out in your favor.

Taurus may be new ownership but the coalition has been brewing for many years. I have a Rossi 851 in 38 special made 7 or so years ago By Taurus in Brazil. I really cant speak much on Rossi's behalf since I have had only one, but this gun pares with similar S & W's with fit finish and function. . .If mine had, or even has the imperfection that it takes a heavy blow to the hammer, I doubt I would respond to the recall since today, the time, paperwork, transfer punishments, and fees, produce a gall I cant swallow and would linger for some time. Maybe more importantly, I don't CC carry it, and I like it.
Most guns ever made that were primed and loaded, up to modern times (and beyond) are prone to fire under duress from one sort or other. I doubt much sleep was lost, , or companies like Colt blamed, or anyone even entertained the idea to sue for a dangerous and negligent product, :eek: the Colt SA, and then have it recalled or banned from sale.
Instead, everyone with full faculty or at least a modicum of common sense, just left a chamber empty.
I don't know the actual burr causing the Rossi recall but if the fault parallels the Colt single action in a mechanical origin, criticism of company and product would be unfair and disingenuous in my mind.

Taurus may be new ownership but the coalition has been brewing for many years. I have a Rossi 851 in 38 special made 7 or so years ago By Taurus in Brazil. I really cant speak much on Rossi's behalf since I have had only one, but this gun pares with similar S & W's with fit finish and function. . .If mine had, or even has the imperfection that it takes a heavy blow to the hammer, I doubt I would respond to the recall since today, the time, paperwork, transfer punishments, and fees, produce a gall I cant swallow and would linger for some time. Maybe more importantly, I don't CC carry it, and I like it.
Most guns ever made that were primed and loaded, up to modern times (and beyond) are prone to fire under duress from one sort or other. I doubt much sleep was lost, , or companies like Colt blamed, or anyone even entertained the idea to sue for a dangerous and negligent product, :eek: the Colt SA, and then have it recalled or banned from sale.
Instead, everyone with full faculty or at least a modicum of common sense, just left a chamber empty.
I don't know the actual burr causing the Rossi recall but if the fault parallels the Colt single action in a mechanical origin, criticism of company and product would be unfair and disingenuous in my mind.
A modern firearm shouldn't be doing that. An old single action, sure, who'd be surprised? But not something as (relatively) new as a 971 should behave itself.

Still have a couple Taurus pistols, but will never buy a new gun of theirs again, and will never send another gun back in to those guys for repair, warranty or not.
Same. We have a Taurus wheel gun and two Rossi carbines (one SBRed) that work very well indeed. But there is zero chance I will buy a Taurus, Rossi, or any other brand they own again. I realize wall-to-wall incompetence in industry is the norm these days, but Taurus' handling of the recall was simply abysmal.

The upshot is it got me on a Smith & Wesson revolver kick and haven't looked back. :s0155:

Last Edited:
The upshot is it got me on a Smith & Wesson revolver kick and haven't looked back. :s0155:
Same here; I can't seem to pass up a good deal on a nice, older S&W revolver. I have a bunch of them, nothing exceptionally nice or valuable, but they're all just so well made and smooth in function.

I have a couple of Taurus handguns that got my attention at a great price, and they work fine, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend a little more and buy something I can trust for quality. I'm still a sucker for an interesting gun if it's cheap enough. I like my Taurus TX22 so they're not all bad. I also have one KelTek firearm. I like it too but I doubt I've ever buy another KelTek, just too many KelTek horror stories out there to dismiss.

Why am I not surprised Taurus is involved? Smith or Ruger are the minimum acceptable quality for a revolver IMO
I agree. On the low end of the market, pick up and examine both a Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver (owned by Taurus), and a Ruger Wrangler revolver side by side. The Ruger is something like $50-$70 more, but for an experienced revolver guy, the Ruger is far, far and away better made. It's more like an actual firearm.

Last Brazilian gun I fired was a F.I.E. Too many bad experiences including someone I knew who got shot through his abdomen because the jeep he was riding in hit a bump and a rifle, with a round in the chamber with safety on, went off. That was years ago and I'm sure Taurus/Rossi manufacturing is much better but too many bad experiences made me twice shy.

Its like the Harbor Freight of firearms.

Ruger got sued because of the original Blackhawk. That was one of the reasons behind the development of the New Model Blackhawk and the conversion kit for the original (Three Screw) Blackhawks.
Sometimes being stupid "pays".

Ruger got sued because of the original Blackhawk. That was one of the reasons behind the development of the New Model Blackhawk and the conversion kit for the original (Three Screw) Blackhawks.
Sometimes being stupid "pays".
You can sue, and win for just about anything now days. Don't make it right to some. A neighbor says he got sued by a trespasser that got hurt on his property when he lived in Illinois. In juxtaposition, way before the increase of the lawyer plague and most folks still took responsibility for their actions, in 1955, my friend Randy was stealing apples from old man Summer, fell from his tree and broke his arm, he got an admittedly half hearted whipping for stealing and made to work off the doctors bill the rest of the summer, and did it in a cast! .. Even randy admitted justice served and lessons learned.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top