JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just picked up a nice little takedown 10/22 with future build-up plans.
My first impression was the overall lack of metal compared to the (MANY) 10/22's I have owned and modified in the past.
Appreciate thoughts and advise from any of you who have built up older vs. newer rifles.
Thinking about a "Johnny Appleseed" type of build.
Should I sacrifice one of my older rifles or forge ahead with the newer version and see the old classics.
Thanks

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to build up another 10/22, probably a takedown model as soon as start working again. Just waiting on background check. Taking longer than a firearms purchase lol. Its probably a waste of money, but they are so cheaply made.

Unless you buy an older used model, I think they assume people will just automatically update them with aftermarket. I like Kidd Custom parts so far. Anything Volquartsen has been good as well. Rimfirecentral.com is the forum to go if you want further reccomendations to go however.

The newer trigger housings have better tolerances than the old cast ones, I put a kidd trigger kit in them and they work great.
you can put a lot of money in a 10/22,one of mine is sitting at about $1200.00 and has no ruger parts left in it.

I have bent and cracked a metal trigger guard by it falling off of a tailgate and smacking a direct hit on a rock, I don't think a plastic guard would have sustained any damage at all from the same accident. That being said, I am a Glock guy, so maybe my opinion on plastic is biased.

I suppose that kids in 10-20-40 years with think our love of metal is strange. There is just something that is more "real" about a metal gun and I prefer the older metal trigger group... Even if it's not as good :(

I got my older aluminum trigger group (Tier 2) done by Brimstone Gunsmithing, here is a brief quote from them.

"We often get statements from customers complaining about the new 'plastic' groups, but truth be told, these groups are vastly higher quality than the old aluminum ones."

And an article written on the topic by them:
Ruger 10/22 Trigger Group, Plastic Vs. Metal

Please note, I am not affiliated in any manner with Brimstone Gunsmithing except as a satisfied customer.

Last Edited:
So,,, with the subject of aftermarket trigger groups and how well they work in the later model (plastic) 10/22's.
Is there a clearcut (trigger group) winner for target, field, target/field ?
Once gain my thoughts are focused towards building a Johnny Appleseed rifle.
By the way, you guys are great!!!;)

So,,, with the subject of aftermarket trigger groups and how well they work in the later model (plastic) 10/22's.
Is there a clearcut (trigger group) winner for target, field, target/field ?
Once gain my thoughts are focused towards building a Johnny Appleseed rifle.
By the way, you guys are great!!!;)

I am going to guess that your question, though a good one is difficult to answer. Triggers, like so many other options for any firearm, are very much about personal preference. The real, bottom line answer is, whichever one you shoot the best with.

At the time I used Brimstone, Ruger did not offer an upgraded trigger group. However, to do it now I would do the following .........

I would try a simple, upgraded Ruger drop in trigger group first. Especially if you can find them on sale during the holidays. That way, you could see what you think about it and what you may or may not quite like about it. But you would have that and the original trigger group to tweak or send out for upgrades if you wanted to and still be able to shoot.

Keep us posted.

I built up two different rifles specifically for Appleseed. The first was all out of Kidd parts with a Hogue stock and Leupold optic. The only Ruger parts are the magazines. The second was a backup to my Kidd. It started life as a new Ruger 10/22 and currently sits fairly stock except for a Hogue stock, upgraded Ruger trigger group and a Kidd buffer. Also added an old Bushnell scope I had in the safe.

The Kidd with its heavy barrel is a super shooter and will make one hole at the 25m Appleseed range. Trigger is set at 3.5lbs. The trigger on the backup is surprisingly good and with the standard Ruger barrel will shoot almost as well as my Kidd. Both are picky about what I feed them; I am still experimenting to find the best load for each.

The build up I did for my backup is a good inexpensive way to start in Appleseed. I'm into that less than $400 including the new rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top