JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My carry knife which is a handmade tanto (badass and comfy) i noticed today going to use it to just open a box and noticed there were marks of rust on it. its in a kydex sheath on an Acid Washed finish. My guns aren't in a legit safe yet (yes, bad on me but sold my 2 fatboys in SoCal and 3rd floor of apartment is a tad hard as well as financially at the moment) locked in just a locker that i used to put my loading gear but not air tight or anything like that.

Any suggestions on moisture prevention? I have 6 i think of those re-heatable to dry out silica type bricks in there and they looked ok but only been here a little more than a month and my knife (which is edc) is showing rust but guns so far so good.

some aren't going to be shot for a while, if ever again and some are special use for a few times a year. tips to keep them all protected?

You need a container that you can control the environment on. This can be a safe, foot locker, etc. You need a golden rod, a large can of desiccant and a humidity meter. All can be had off Amazon for $50-$60. Clean and wipe down the guns with a silicone cloth and put them in the container with the other items. Then check daily until you're comfortable that you have a stable environment. Then a weekly check and wipe down with a silicone cloth should be all that is needed.

Two other things might be helpful...A can of Renaissance Wax and Borestores. A good coat of wax can help solve rusting issues. Particularly on the knife but you may have to re-wax frequently depending on your use. And/or if your container environment is really unstable then keeping each gun in a Borestore may be helpful. And FYI, the wax may seem a little expensive but a can will last you forever and you'll find a ton of other uses for it. I have a hard chromed 1911 where the chrome has worn through in the magwell due to use. I had a little rusting problem but the wax has solved it beautifully. I just need to remember to reapply immediately after each range session.

Last Edited:
Huh I been in Oregon all my life and the only guns I have ever had rust were neglected. Mine are in a secure room on a rifle rack or in a felt lined drawer. Allow air to circulate and keep a little oil on the metal and the same air you breathe and they should be fine.

An open ziplock or a small container full of uncooked rice (not uncle Bens or minute rice) will work wonders. Cheap as heck too. You can get a small quantity at the bulk bins at winco if you don't want to buy a bag. Does it work? If you ever dunk your phone by accident stick it in a closed ziplock full of the rice. It will suck out 99% if not more percent of the water. I've revived more than one phone to operating condition like that. Hair dryer afterwards just for good measure.
Regarding the knife, maybe some Frog Lube or a light coate of gun oil?

Marysville is one of the wettest enviros I have worked in. Miserable except in summer. 2nd only to actual coastal cities. Ditto on rust coatings and sealed, controlled containers. I always found that silicon was too lite, Rig too heavy, don't even think about WD40. A vault with an actual dehumidifier may be needed eventually.

Level of water can be a bothersome thing.
If you can find some creosote treated telephone poles, you might be able to (with a prayer and some tremendous skill and effort) raise your rig on up eight or ten feet.

Btw, the reason a GoldenRod and a string of christmas lights work, is for the same reason. They simply increase the temperature of the atmosphere of the safe and the contents of the safe are a degree or two warmer than encroaching air. This keeps any moisture in that encroaching air from cooling on the surfaces of the metal items, this keeping them from rust.

Even the Golden Rod advertises that it decreases the humidity, which is false advertising.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top