JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've just moved to Portland from Texas and wanted to get started hunting. I've been on an elk hunt before with a friend, but never with my own tag. I was pretty much just a spotter/helper. I'm looking to get into hunting and was hoping to find a buddy or seven who wouldn't mind somebody new to the sport. Even if I don't get a tag I don't mind being spotter/helper, I'd just like to get the experience and some knowledge from experienced hunters. Any advice or resources would also be greatly appreciated.

As for my shooting/firearms skill, I'm a former Marine with over 25 years firearms experience, I just never got into hunting until now.

Thanks,
Jeff

What part of Portland? East side, West side? The Oregon Hunters Association has local chapter meetings once a month, there are 2 Portland chapters. 1 in Forest Grove and 1 in Gresham.

Other than that I'd make a similar post on ifish.net in the hunting section. It gets a lot more activity than this sub forum.

There is also the Oregon Duck Hunters Association, Oregon Bowhunters Association, Oregon Outdoor Council, Safari Club International, Rocky Mountain Elk foundation and a few other groups that have gatherings of one sort or another where you can meet potential hunting partners.

Edit: There is also the stickies at the top of this forum that can be helpful on getting started.

What part of Portland? East side, West side? The Oregon Hunters Association has local chapter meetings once a month, there are 2 Portland chapters. 1 in Forest Grove and 1 in Gresham.

Other than that I'd make a similar post on ifish.net in the hunting section. It gets a lot more activity than this sub forum.

There is also the Oregon Duck Hunters Association, Oregon Bowhunters Association, Oregon Outdoor Council, Safari Club International, Rocky Mountain Elk foundation and a few other groups that have gatherings of one sort or another where you can meet potential hunting partners.

Edit: There is also the stickies at the top of this forum that can be helpful on getting started.

Thanks for the good leads I appreciate it. I live in the SW but I'm pretty close to both.

[and some knowledge from experienced hunters. Any advice or resources would also be greatly appreciated.

As for my shooting/firearms skill, I'm a former Marine with over 25 years firearms experience, I just never got into hunting until now.

Thanks,
Jeff[/QUOTE]

Welcome Jeff and thanks for your service...and I'd like to add.... THOSE POOR ELK this fall.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top