Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New to the area and wanting to get into Hunting

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by EGA Tanker, Jul 15, 2013.

1. EGA Tanker

EGA Tanker Surrounded by Hippies New Member

I've just moved to Portland from Texas and wanted to get started hunting. I've been on an elk hunt before with a friend, but never with my own tag. I was pretty much just a spotter/helper. I'm looking to get into hunting and was hoping to find a buddy or seven who wouldn't mind somebody new to the sport. Even if I don't get a tag I don't mind being spotter/helper, I'd just like to get the experience and some knowledge from experienced hunters. Any advice or resources would also be greatly appreciated.

As for my shooting/firearms skill, I'm a former Marine with over 25 years firearms experience, I just never got into hunting until now.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. daiello91

daiello91 NW Oregon Active Member

What part of Portland? East side, West side? The Oregon Hunters Association has local chapter meetings once a month, there are 2 Portland chapters. 1 in Forest Grove and 1 in Gresham.

Other than that I'd make a similar post on ifish.net in the hunting section. It gets a lot more activity than this sub forum.

There is also the Oregon Duck Hunters Association, Oregon Bowhunters Association, Oregon Outdoor Council, Safari Club International, Rocky Mountain Elk foundation and a few other groups that have gatherings of one sort or another where you can meet potential hunting partners.

Edit: There is also the stickies at the top of this forum that can be helpful on getting started.

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  3. EGA Tanker

Thanks for the good leads I appreciate it. I live in the SW but I'm pretty close to both.

4. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

You should get a gun rack, NRA sticker on your vehicle and a camo hat. You're guaranteed to strike up a conversation about hunting with at least one of your new neighbors.

5. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

[and some knowledge from experienced hunters. Any advice or resources would also be greatly appreciated.

As for my shooting/firearms skill, I'm a former Marine with over 25 years firearms experience, I just never got into hunting until now.

Thanks,
    Jeff[/QUOTE]

Welcome Jeff and thanks for your service...and I'd like to add.... THOSE POOR ELK this fall.

Brutus Out

EGA Tanker and (deleted member) like this.
  6. charvey9

charvey9 Beaverton, OR Active Member

Bow hunting or rifle?

7. EGA Tanker

I'm starting out with rifle. I haven't held a bow since boy scouts.

8. EGA Tanker

I've got the hat and a USMC plate (almost as good as the NRA sticker) but I couldn't fit a gun rack in my car if I tried.

9. PopsBdog

PopsBdog Southern Oregon Active Member

I put this info on other posts where relevent.
    Those of you who want to hunt, the OHA is a great way to find some info and people. We also lobby for laws on Hunting, Trapping, Wildlife, and Gun Rights. Oregon Hunters Association

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.