JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
For indoor range, I typically head to safefire in camas.
I'm not sure what your planned use for your firearms purchases are, but, Oregon, unlike many other states, requires a background check for purchase whether you buy a new or used firearm. Some states, this is not a necessity. Here, not doing so is a felony for both involved.

Welcome from the gun totin' old broad contingent.

Joining NWFA was a good first step.

What's your most pressing need or interest with respect to guns? Home defense? Concealed carry? General recreation such as target shooting or plinking? Hunting? Tell us that and we can much better advise you about training and which guns to focus on.

I moved to Oregon Jan 11 finally got. My oregon Id. I moved frim New York and have never held a Fire Arm. i am looking to Purchase One where do start

Welcome to NWFA. :)

Congrats on your escape. The Left-Coast may not be the friendliest towards the 2A but it is whole lot better than NY.

May I suggest you pop across the river and go to Safe Fire. It is an indoor shooting range and they are very helpful. Let them know you are a first time shooter and ask for help.

They have a program where you "rent" firearms. With them you buy the ammo and they offer fire arms that you can choose from. IE: You buy a box of 9mm, pay a "rental fee" and you can select any firearm they have in the display case(s) to try. If you shoot a couple of rounds though 1 of them and you don't like it, take it back to the counter and get a different one to try. The have a bunch of different makes, models and calibers to choose from.

This would give you a great idea of what fits for you. We are all built differently and different configurations fit each of us differently. Plus, you aren't "stuck" buying a firearm before shooting it to see how it feels.

Maybe one of the member here at NWFA would be willing to "host" on their next trip over there?

Again, welcome to NWFA.

Last Edited:
Rapid Fire in Sandy is great. I've done lots of business with Brian over the years and all has been great... If I lived ono that side of town I'd be in there a lot more.

Everybody here who's recommending Rapid Fire has done business there and is sending you there because its a great store run by a great dude.

I moved to Oregon Jan 11 finally got. My oregon Id. I moved frim New York and have never held a Fire Arm. i am looking to Purchase One where do start
Welcome to Oregon and to the forum. You are in luck: For the time being anyway, Oregon is a gun owner's dream, especially compared to New York. It's like a different planet.

The three most important things for a new shooter: 1. Training; 2. Training; 3. Training. Lastly, training.

Most local gun shops offer training or have relationships with NRA-certified instructors. I'd go for one of those.

My advice: Buy as many firearms as you think you need ASAP. The political tide of this beautiful place is turning quickly due to a growing cancer of "progressive" anti-gun sycophants who do not want you owning as much as a slingshot. IOW, get in while the gettin's good.

Today you can walk in to a gun shop in Oregon with your Oregon ID and literally go home everything they have in stock. THAT WILL CHANGE. We are fighting it tooth and nail, but there are more of them than there are of us, unfortunately. Kate Brownshirt and her minions are salivating over imagining your guns in one of these...

My sincerest hope is they forget to unload them before tossing them in... toasting their victory with organic champagne. Not that I would ever wish harm on others, but there's something to be said for poetic justice.

Last Edited:
Welcome to the site.
Ditto some hands-on.
The Clackamas County public range has some basic offerings that should help..

2 pages and no mention yet of "The Gun Room" ?

Welcome to the forum !

As far as gun choice- most modern pistols arew similarly reliable and accurate with decent aftermarket support- Canik, Glock, HK, CZ, Walther etc- head to NWarmory to try and find one that feels good and fits your hand well, also when you find one you like- check out the classifieds on here for a bargain.

Buy whatever you couldn't buy in NY. But also, seek a class/knowledgeable individual to help round the rough around the edges

2 pages and no mention yet of "The Gun Room" ?

Welcome to the forum !

As far as gun choice- most modern pistols arew similarly reliable and accurate with decent aftermarket support- Canik, Glock, HK, CZ, Walther etc- head to NWarmory to try and find one that feels good and fits your hand well, also when you find one you like- check out the classifieds on here for a bargain.
Definitely don't check out the gun room...

Well welcome to The Wet Coast! You already have all kinds of info on what to do and some not to do. I'll suggest you go to one of the clean-ups sponsored by the "Trash No Land' group. You'll get to meet some friendly people and help clean up some of the mess irresponsible gun owners make. In other words, learn what NOT to do. Usually after these clean-ups some folks bring their firearms and do some show and tell and target shooting.

I know how intimidating it might be to a newcomer to the firearms scene. But I promise you, going to one of these clean-ups you'll see how friendly this bunch of people can be.

Welcome to Oregon and NWFA. Good advice all around so far. Note, training is not only to learn how to shoot accurately. It is VERY important to learn the laws on the use of deadly force, when to shoot and when to not shoot.
This is to save your backside should you ever be put in such a situation. Don't apply what you think should be OK, as the law most likely states something different. Self preservation here.

My question is do you have a friend that will take you shooting at a range or somewhere safe and sane just to see if it's something you like? More than once I've seen people not care for shooting guns, be it because of the noise , recoil or just the "feel" of shooting. My Dad was one, even though he was in the Navy he never cared for guns. He was much more comfortable with an axe handle for his personal defense.

I see you are near Gresham. Head out to Rapid fire Arms in Sandy. They will be able to take great care of you. Ask for Brian Coleman. He is the owner and tell him Coctailer sent you.
Gun store employees can often be aloof. There are lots of snotty shops around Portland.

I am a dealer myself, and I always recommend Rapid Fire Arms.
Or, if you can wait for 12 to 18 months. coctailer can sell you some slightly blood stained police trade in guns. Next time he sets up in Oregon.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

[Edit- We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests] - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top