JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
By speaking to someone, like an FFL (licensed gun/dealer), about what it is you intend to use a firearm for. Personal defense, target/range shooting, as a part of your job etc…
Then they can help you determine what caliber of gun, and type of gun, are best suited for you.
Search FFL Gresham Oregon (if that's where you live) and see what pops up. Call the shop that looks good to you and make an appointment. That's it

I moved to Oregon Jan 11 finally got. My oregon Id. I moved frim New York and have never held a Fire Arm. i am looking to Purchase One where do start
I see you are near Gresham. Head out to Rapid fire Arms in Sandy. They will be able to take great care of you. Ask for Brian Coleman. He is the owner and tell him Coctailer sent you.
Gun store employees can often be aloof. There are lots of snotty shops around Portland.

I am a dealer myself, and I always recommend Rapid Fire Arms.

I would also highly recommend finding a gun range and do some training class. Then try shooting multiple pistols to find one you like, most gun ranges have them for you to rent so you can get the feel. Then talk to a lot of people and take some of the "this is the absolute one to own" comments with a grain of salt! Try finding one to shoot and see how YOU like it.

I see you are near Gresham. Head out to Rapid fire Arms in Sandy. They will be able to take great care of you. Ask for Brian Coleman. He is the owner and tell him Coctailer sent you.
Gun store employees can often be aloof. There are lots of snotty shops around Portland.

I am a dealer myself, and I always recommend Rapid Fire Arms.
This is a good advise :s0155:

I totally support the absolute necessity of getting training in right now. There is, regardless of what anybody might tell you, nothing 'natural' about picking up any handgun and using it with any degree of success. As an instructor with over forty years of experience doing so, you can take that to the bank. Those lucky people who find that it 'comes naturally are usually those for whom any complex set of manual instructions comes easy - they listen to what they are told, and do it, and behold, it works!

Here in UK, where things are so utterly different that we might be on another planet, new shooters HAVE to join a club in order to learn to shoot - IF they are budding/wannabe target shooters. And then it takes SIX months of probie time before they get full membership of the club - or not.

During that six months they are encouraged to sponge enjoy different shooting experiences off everybody - a great idea that means that they get to shoot any and all different types of firearm, at no cost to themselves either. We actively encourage noobs to 'have a go' at everything that we all shoot, learning safe gun-handling along the way. Tests are there as well, of course - officially applied using the NRA/NSRA outlines - to demonstrate to the club officials that they are not only taking it all in, but doing it seriously.

Only after completing the six-month probie time can they be made full members of the gun club - a pre-requisite for applying for a Firearms Certificate.

Unlike the US of A - there are NO gun stores here where you can try out a few handguns to see what you like.

Picking up a working firearm without a valid FAC is illegal.

Plus - there are no 'defensive' handguns, let alone the kind suitable for home defence.

Lots more woe, but it does not concern you in any way......

Get a .22lr rifle and take an Appleseed course. Everybody is assuming you want a handgun, but for somebody that has never even HELD a FIRE ARM, I'd suggest a pellet rifle or bb gun and classes/mentor, but you might as well go full bore and step up to a .22lr.

https://appleseedinfo.org/

I moved to Oregon Jan 11 finally got. My oregon Id. I moved frim New York and have never held a Fire Arm. i am looking to Purchase One where do start
What is the reason for the purchase? Self defense, hunting, target shooting? That would help to determine where to go and what training to get.

As mentioned above. Training and going to a rental range is a good idea. At the rental range you can get a better feel for what type of firearm suits you (handgun wise). Ive purchased some firearms only to realize they just werent for me after shooting them or seeing what the trigger was like. Sometimes a test drive with a range rental confirms your interest or not that way you save coin for a purchase you know you'll actually enjoy.

If you've never held a firearm, I dont at all suggest getting some big bore firearm like some hand cannon. Id get a practical firearm with moderate recoil for better ease of use. Lots of guys get that hand cannon right off the bat because it looks cool.. only to rarely shoot it, or worse.. shoot it poorly.

And lastly, Welcome to Oregon and the forum.

Welcome, you found a great place. Some who live near you can point you to a good range or two with rentals. Classes and rentals are a LOT of fun for a new to this person. Enjoy the learning!!

Welcome to the forum!

In Jan 2020, I bought 9mm for $0.13/round. Range days would be 500round sessions. Now? Ammo is "coming down" but it's still near $0.50/round. Think about that: every two shots is a dollar gone. What I'm trying to get at is: it's a pricey time to train, and like @tac said - train you must as shooting rarely just "comes naturally" - especially with handguns. (I know more than a few people who can pick up a rifle or shotgun and put rounds on target all day long...hand them a handgun and all of a sudden they can't hit the broadside of the proverbial barn)

Like others have noted, training is super important and a great place to start. Many training classes will let you rent a gun for the class, so you needn't worry about buying one right away. Ranges will also let you rent and you should take the opportunity to shoot various firearms. Make sure to test varying calibers and sizes and styles of gun. For example, my Kimber EVO SP is about the same exact size as my wife's Glock 43, they both shoot 9mm...and I prefer the Evo. You will have preferences as well - firearms are not a one-size-fits-all thing.

So, take a training class, rent and shoot as many guns as you can, then make a purchase decision.

When it comes to actually buying one, it's an easy process. Go to the gun store or shop online. If you shop online, you'll pay online and the gun will be shipped to the gun store of your choosing. You'll fill out a background check form (known as a 4473 or NICS check) and pay the gun shop a transfer fee. Note, most gun shops waive the transfer fee if you buy the gun straight from them. As long as you are not a prohibited person, your BG check will come back and allow you to take the gun home. Before 2020, that usually took an hour or so at most...now, it can be days simply due to volume of gun purchases being made.

Look into the transportation laws for your city. When it comes to gun laws and the breaking of them, ignorance is never an excuse. So, make sure you know what is legal for getting that gun home from the shop, to the range, and back home for you.

And, of course, feel free to start more threads on this board as needed. Welcome to the party, pal!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads