JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@USMC1911 Please post your trailer weight loaded. IMO That's the only consideration that matters for truck capability/tow factor & so many of the trucks mentioned could be overkill for you. Course, if you want a newer 1T dually diesel crewcab, I say go for it!!!

I still have the 2001 F-350 that I bought new with the 7.3L diesel. I'd recommend it if you can find a used one that is in reasonable shape. The 7.3L has been VERY reliable. Wifey uses the truck to tow a horse trailer and 1-2 horses several times per week.

I had one of those in a crew cab dually and it was an awesome pickup. It would pull 14K trailer and equipment up Sexton Mt at 65 mph and still get 14 mpg. Ours had a 6 speed transmission.

I worked with a guy that pulled the biggest 5th wheel he could find. He worked in Alaska in the summer,hunted his home state of Montana in the fall ,then went to AZ till work started up up north.
Anyway,he decided the best route for him was a 4dr little Freightliner with a v8 Cat in it. Make a little flat bed for the back and you get about as much mileage as a heavy loaded standard diesel pick up. Only it handles the weight better and it is hauling a legal load;)
Well the rest of the story is he thought he cut a fat hog getting the truck for 10? 15? K till he had to rebuild the engine:eek:
But he still got a nice pull rig for under 30k

Course, if you want a newer 1T dually diesel crewcab, I say go for it!!!

The stability and handling difference with a dual rear wheel set up is something you cannot appreciate until you have towed with the duals. I had two F 350's with duals, one with a 460 and one with the 7.3. They are hands down much safer to operate in my opinion. Much easier on the vehicle when towing also.

Well the rest of the story is he thought he cut a fat hog getting the truck for 10? 15? K till he had to rebuild the engine:eek:

What he gets for getting one with a Rattlepillar in it. I bought my Freightliners with over 120K on them, ran them both for 4 years and sold them with about 280K on them. They are still working and making some people money today. Regardless, your most important point is a very good vehicle for 30K.

Looked at the price stickers on 2017 Ford F350's or Chev Duramax's for that matter ??

The stability and handling difference with a dual rear wheel set up is something you cannot appreciate until you have towed with the duals. I had two F 350's with duals, one with a 460 and one with the 7.3. They are hands down much safer to operate in my opinion. Much easier on the vehicle when towing also.

Agreed, ditto. I've owned a number of each. :)

@USMC1911 Please post your trailer weight loaded. IMO That's the only consideration that matters for truck capability/tow factor & so many of the trucks mentioned could be overkill for you. Course, if you want a newer 1T dually diesel crewcab, I say go for it!!!

Same weight as the first post lol 14K loaded, with no water and will very rarely if ever haul it with the 110 gallons of water it will hold. Truck needs to be 4wd and I am not looking for 6 months to find the perfect truck as the truck is needed in the next few weeks. This truck could see upwards of 10k+ miles of towing this trailer a year with 10k more not hauling. Think a diesel would be nice but can get a lot newer truck with very few miles for same price where as the diesel will have 100k+ miles. Although I think I could fix most anything it is of little use when you are 1000 or more miles away from home and broken on the side of the road.

Although I think I could fix most anything it is of little use when you are 1000 or more miles away from home and broken on the side of the road.
Well you just get a little heavier truck and carry all your rebuild tools:confused::D
All I know is there might be 3 gas trucks in this county pulling multiple animals. If I was pulling 14k 10k miles a year,no way would I go gas. I think the mileage factor more than makes up for the price of diesel.
I would bet a gas rig with 14k behind would sink into the single digits.
If I was pulling a 5th wheel again,I'd go drive one of those Freightliner types to see if it would work for the 10k of not pulling. Or the heaviest dually pickup I could find
It just feels good to have a nice pull rig when you have that much money on the road
YMMV for sure

Well you just get a little heavier truck and carry all your rebuild tools:confused::D
All I know is there might be 3 gas trucks in this county pulling multiple animals. If I was pulling 14k 10k miles a year,no way would I go gas. I think the mileage factor more than makes up for the price of diesel.
I would bet a gas rig with 14k behind would sink into the single digits.
If I was pulling a 5th wheel again,I'd go drive one of those Freightliner types to see if it would work for the 10k of not pulling. Or the heaviest dually pickup I could find
It just feels good to have a nice pull rig when you have that much money on the road
YMMV for sure
Trailer is bumper pull:(

Fixing this rig on the side of the road is out of the question. I will be traveling for work/apprenticeship and need to be on time ready to work when/where I'm told to go. Turned down a job in Denver last week as I am without a rig that will get it done.

This is a upgraded version of the FL 60's I had. This one has a lot of life in it yet, hopefully you could see mx records on it.

2003 Freightliner Fl80, Bloomington AL - 120642047 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

Here is one if you want to haul a lot of people. They had to go to Canada for this one but it gets the job done.

Warfighter Outfitters 添加了 1 张新照片 - Warfighter Outfitters | Facebook

My FL 120 with 450,000 miles had a rebuilt big cam Cummins 400 in it. It was rebuilt because that is what the company I bought it from did at 300,000. I put over 250,000 trouble free miles on that in 5 western states and made a pile of money with it. Our Fl 60s were a club cab version that allowed some storage behind the seat for the guys to put their gear, lunchboxes. They did not tow about 65% of the time. The rest of the time they had trailers up to 14,000 GVW with tractors and other equipment on them. They worked fine without the trailers.

The most important thing to me was to get 2 to 3 people 100 or more miles to work almost on a daily basis and do that week after week with minimal down time, basic maintenance oil changes done at various shops on the road. These trucks could go weeks never coming back to our shop, and being parked in airport parking lots. These had air ride seats in one of them, AC, nice stereos, tilt wheels.

Our operating costs went down on these rigs when we stated specing and using the right truck for the right job. These were trucks meant to work, and while not having the style of a pickup they certainly did the job.

I bought and sold a lot of vehicles and equipment that I came across during my work travels, trying to not deadhead trucks, and make money on transportation. I would buy a truck, car or tractor in Redding, Medford and sell it to someone in Portland, Bend or in between and increase my profits on the haul and job.

If you are looking for a specific rig, you have to be constantly on the look out for that rig, and you have to be prepared to go a distance. I found my FL 60's in SoCal and Utah. Plane ticket there and I was back with them in 2 days or less.

Oregon is not a hotbed of decent pickups or trucks in any case.

I have been looking really hard at the new Dodge Trucks, If I order the base 4X4 extra cab with Cummins, I can just about afford it! Problem is I really don't want ANY of the new diesel trucks out there! So for me, it's a pre emissions Diesel, probably a Dodge, But a good F-250 isn't out of the running, but it has to be a 7.3DI I hate the idea of having to run special fuel additive at additional cost,and the emissions crap really sucks the power. The other option is a Mercedes Benz/ Freightliner Duely Sprinter, which actually makes more sense in the long run! I am not going to pull any thing as heavy as the OP, I have a 2 1/2 ton LMTV for that kind of work!!!! Just some thoughts!

Same weight as the first post lol 14K loaded, with no water and will very rarely if ever haul it with the 110 gallons of water it will hold. Truck needs to be 4wd and I am not looking for 6 months to find the perfect truck as the truck is needed in the next few weeks. This truck could see upwards of 10k+ miles of towing this trailer a year with 10k more not hauling. Think a diesel would be nice but can get a lot newer truck with very few miles for same price where as the diesel will have 100k+ miles. Although I think I could fix most anything it is of little use when you are 1000 or more miles away from home and broken on the side of the road.

Newer is not always better in my opinion. I have been a diesel tech. for 15 years and for the last 13 I have specialized in "light duty" diesels (passenger cars and pickups). I work in an independent shop so I see all makes and models. They all have their problems but some are worse than others, especially if the emission systems have not been properly maintained. Anything prior to 2003 was just a good old fashioned dependable diesel... Unless it was a 6.5l GM (sorry not a real diesel) or California emissions of course... The good old days:(... Since then the manufacturers have been forced to add EGR, Variable Vane turbos and in 2007/2008 Diesel Particulate Filters to appease EPA. I would do some research on DPF systems to see if that's something you want to maintain or worry about replacing as it is a component designed to fail. Also fuel mileage suffers greatly with DPF equipped trucks. That being said, I wouldn't want to drag around 15k lbs with anything other than a diesel. Often the gas trucks have lighter duty transmissions and also sometimes have smaller brakes and weaker differentials/axles than the diesels. Fuel mileage is also a huge factor depending on the truck. I have 2 96 Dodge Ram pickups, one 12v Cummins and one v10. The v10 gets 10 to 12mpg at best but my Cummins gets 18 to 22 depending on what I'm hauling or how I'm driving. DISCLAIMER...I wouldn't recommend a 6.4l Powerstroke if you want mileage... My v10 might get better...:eek:

Newer is not always better in my opinion. I have been a diesel tech. for 15 years and for the last 13 I have specialized in "light duty" diesels (passenger cars and pickups). I work in an independent shop so I see all makes and models. They all have their problems but some are worse than others, especially if the emission systems have not been properly maintained. Anything prior to 2003 was just a good old fashioned dependable diesel... Unless it was a 6.5l GM (sorry not a real diesel) or California emissions of course... The good old days:(... Since then the manufacturers have been forced to add EGR, Variable Vane turbos and in 2007/2008 Diesel Particulate Filters to appease EPA. I would do some research on DPF systems to see if that's something you want to maintain or worry about replacing as it is a component designed to fail. Also fuel mileage suffers greatly with DPF equipped trucks. That being said, I wouldn't want to drag around 15k lbs with anything other than a diesel. Often the gas trucks have lighter duty transmissions and also sometimes have smaller brakes and weaker differentials/axles than the diesels. Fuel mileage is also a huge factor depending on the truck. I have 2 96 Dodge Ram pickups, one 12v Cummins and one v10. The v10 gets 10 to 12mpg at best but my Cummins gets 18 to 22 depending on what I'm hauling or how I'm driving. DISCLAIMER...I wouldn't recommend a 6.4l Powerstroke if you want mileage... My v10 might get better...:eek:

Yeah, I found that out but I am not hauling all over the USA so can handle it with present fuel prices.
Have you seen any better fuel mileage with a tuner (Spartan, SCT or H&S mini max) to be able to delete the EGR & DPF? I'm not wanting to spent upwards to $3K for that work UNLESS it is possible to get 18-20 MPG....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads