JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all!
Just bought my first Glock today, a 3rd Gen G17. I want to carry it occasionally when wearing a jacket (this time of year). I plan on carrying it OWB, on my hip. I am looking for a good holster and spare mag holder for 2 extras. I have seen blade tech holsters, but never owned one. Without breaking the bank, what do you recommend or have experience with?

Second, I would like to mount a small tac light on the rail. This will probably change the hoster recommendations, but I'd love some feedback on different lights and which holsters can accomodate them from those with Glock experience.

Thanks!
Chris

Does anyone have one of the Fobus paddle holsters? I like that idea, and they seem more comfy than the blade tech as they have that nice rubberized paddle. Not just a skeletonized plastic paddle. Thoughts?
Chris
<broken link removed>

Stay away from the cheap fobus stuff. If you want plastic (kidex) go for the Uncle Mikes or the good stuff Blade tech. I have both and the Blade Tech is a fine holster. Look on Ebay for all your holster needs. Or look here. :) I just bought a 17 holster on here. Great price.
Dave

Sorry I didn't know you were looking for crap, I can't help you.

Well that was rude. Perhaps assume that, being a first time Glock owner, and having not owned any Kydex products, I may not know what is or is not "crap." If you don't want to help, then don't. But there is no call for snobbery here. I came here asking advice and opinions because I don't know what is or is not a quality product. Sorry to have wasted your precious time.

Anyone else care to steer me towards some info about what brand(s) of paddle style holsters, preferably kydex, are a good choice for every day carry?
Thanks,
Chris

I am by no means an expert but I have Fobus & Blade-Tech Paddle holsters. I have seen the youtube videos showing how easy the Fobus is broken off and the gun and holster are now with the bad guy. I like the Blade-Tech and even stopped by their business in Puyallup, Washington. They were getting off work but took the time to show me around and sell to me on the spot. I tried to carry concealed even with a jacket. They are too bulky for me. For draw practice they work great but for carry I would prefer to have another holster with better retention since it is pretty obvious the G22 is not hiding that way. I carry In the Waistband and have tried a Theis Holster Theisholsters.com | Home | Custom IWB Holsters and I am currently with a PJ Holster PJ Holster | Simple, Practical, Affordable Holsters.. These holster can be made to carry Out of the Waistband too but they are not paddle. The price does not break the bank and both Tommy and Paul had them to my mailbox in about 10 days. Good luck.
Mike

I've had a G-Code Kydex (made for or by Eagle Industries) for my G20 and 21. It concealed them really well, for a huge gun. I now carry my G26 IWB in a Kydex and leather holster, you said you want OWB, so I won't go into IWBs though. You could get a Blackhawk Serpa, but they are kinda bulky and I've heard of problems with them, eventhough I've never had an issue with the 5 or 6 I've had. For concealing OWB, I think your best bet is a leather pancake holster, they work really good and pull the gun close to your body. Do NOT buy Fobus or Uncle Mike's, they are garbage!!! I don't think you could go wrong with Blade-Tech either, I have one of thier cuff holders. Safariland also makes great Kydex. My IWB is made by CFS, here in Portland. I love it and it's reasonably priced. They make Kydex OWB also, and will fit them to a light, but lights for carry get pretty bulky.

I've had Surefire, Insight, and Streamlight TLRs. The Surefire X200 or 300 is the best, and I'd buy one of those if I ever buy another. Insight M3s are another one of my favorites, but they are not LED. I would not buy another TLR, or any Streamlight besides the M series that are actually made by Insight with thier name. The mount is kinda stupid and difficult, and they have a shiny finish. PM me if you have some more questions, I've gotta go.

I have multiple Blade-Tech holsters and they are all top notch. The paddle is quite comfortable. Short of a custom made holster, these are some of the finest Kydex holsters on the market.

On the other hand I also own a Fobus. It technicaly does hold the gun as intended and hasn't broken.... yet. I won't be buying another Fobus any time soon. It is overpriced for what you get. There are plenty of "cheap" holsters out there that are of higher quality and comfort.

Lots of info here, thanks all. I guess I will take a look at Blade Tech. PJ holsters look nice too. I think I may just have to order a few different ones and do some trial and error.
Appreciate all the input!
Chris

Darn, I have been using Fobus for years. Have one for my Kimber Compact 45, Glock 17 and Glock 32. Never had a problem and did not have a clue that they were considered Junk!

My preference in holsters is the Galco Concealable. Expensive but holds the weapon tight against the body for good concealment. I have several of those also for different calibers.

Thanks for giving me the heads up on my "Junk!"

Hehe...yeah, everyone has an opinion. What works perfectly for one person will not meet another's needs. I may still give Fobus a try, they are pretty reasonable if you find them online.

Does anyone have one of the Fobus paddle holsters? I like that idea, and they seem more comfy than the blade tech as they have that nice rubberized paddle. Not just a skeletonized plastic paddle. Thoughts?
Chris
<broken link removed>

Stay away! This holster broke my battery switch off of my M6 streamlight I had on my G22! Very poor construction! As for the Serpas, I have to dissagree. I've deployed with the Serpa and still use one for my XD and G22. Compared to Fobus they are HEAVEN.

I had a fobus for my sig 220 and it lasted about a year. That was after I had to constantly "smash" the rivets back together, and file the inside down to protect the finish on my gun. About a years time and it broke altogether.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top