JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have owned and shot my AK platform since 1989 - I know the strengths and weaknesses of the AK
and hunting elk is not one of it's strengths
what is the closest you ever got to and elk during hunting season?
will your AK accurately shoot that far with the energy and accuracy to bring down an Roosevelt Elk?
at 300 yrds, your 7.62x39 will give you 550 lbs of energy and drops 27"
at the same range a good Grendel hunting bullet will give you 1150 lbs and drop only 8"
which one do you want to try?
Neat. Still doable. And legal.

I have owned and shot my AK platform since 1989 - I know the strengths and weaknesses of the AK
and hunting elk is not one of it's strengths
what is the closest you ever got to and elk during hunting season?
will your AK accurately shoot that far with the energy and accuracy to bring down an Roosevelt Elk?
at 300 yrds, your 7.62x39 will give you 550 lbs of energy and drops 27"
at the same range a good Grendel hunting bullet will give you 1150 lbs and drop only 8"
which one do you want to try?
I'll give you that if it came down to only these two Id rather use the Grendel but Ive personally dropped more than 3 Roosevelts at around 50 yards or so not that getting close is the only metric. Knowing the limitations and the right bullet the 7.62x39 would be fine out to what 200yds, the Grendel isnt exactly a slammer at 300 ....

edit to add...
but by all means if the OP doesnt reply I think it would be more fun to compare the 6.5 Grendel vs the AK47 (7.62) for hunting elk....
at least thats a caliber war Ive never seen yet anyways.
back in the day, Wolf sold a 100 gn 6.5 G cartridge in the Military ammo line
it a copper clad, steel core bullet, 2496 fps, 1550 ft lbs of energy and yaws like a 7N6
I acquired 1000 of this, understand it's still out there

back in the day, Wolf sold a 100 gn 6.5 G cartridge in the Military ammo line
it a copper clad, steel core bullet, 2496 fps, 1550 ft lbs of energy and yaws like a 7N6
I acquired 1000 of this, understand it's still out there
Ive come so close to building a Grendel upper and still struggle with the idea. Its just that I already have way more legit big game calibers. But I totally agree with you if you want a do it all including a self defense rifle then an AR in the 6.5 Grendel pretty much wins any caliber war in total versatility.

It also depends entirely on what you mean by an "AR Build". Simply fitting an array of pre-assembled/"completed" main components or are you looking for the full experience... fitting every spring, detent and handpicking each individual component?

In the later, the only thing I have to suggest is to "educate yourself" and hold off doing anything until you just can't stand it any more. :D Once you''re there, then start small and as affordable as possible for your first "test build". There is always going to be a use for a basic "toss around" AR so you're not out much if it's not entirely your "dream AR". In the end, the hands on experiece will be invaluable, give you more of a practial idea of what direction you want your "dream build" to go (opposed to what you thought you wanted on day one) and likely save you grief and money in the process.

Opinions are going to vary... Ie., one migt say lowers are easier, but I would say uppers are the easy part. To do them right, lowers require a wider array of tools, parts prep/fitting and much more tedious with tiny parts that can have a mind of their own.

It's extremely rewarding, but don't expect to get it "just right" on your first attempt.

In the former, there are any number of "completed" components and that's the beauty of mil-spec. It's simple, generally more cost effective and... unless you're just not at all mechanically enclined... they''ll all go "pew" with a reasonable amount of reliability and accuracy.

The barrel and bolt carrier group IS the AR, don't skimp on those.

Also, ARs contrary to some belief are not Legos. Very few parts are plug and play. Each part should be spec'd, gauged and pre-fit before installing...will save a lot of grief.

Building AR's while not difficult can wind up costing more than buying a good factory rifle like the Colt I linked for just over $1,000.
Mid length gas system in a solid rifle, use as is or...
I would swap out the stock, grip, trigger, safety selector and charging handle.
But...
If you're gonna do that may as well just get an FN15 TAC3 with all that jazz on it for a few more bucks.

I only have one factory gun though.
I like putting them together and all that goes with it.
Parts selection, inspection, assembly.
Kinda like building an engine.
Which has the same unique problem with "spare" parts.

Hmm, got a spare intermediate tube, spring and buffer.
Couple months later it's surrounded by a complete rifle.

Hmm, that cam and rocker set looks lonely and I think I have a carb somewhere....

Find an AR that you really like and use it as a general design blueprint.

IMO the right barrel profile and gas system length are important. For carbine length barrels I really like mid length gas systems, and I prefer profiles like the Ballistic Advantage Hanson and Faxon Gunner for all around usage. Go for Melonite/Nitride or if you want chrome spend the bux to get one done right (FN or Colt).

Keep it clean and simple. Make sure you have the right tools including torque wrench. Use AeroShell grease on the barrel threads (you can get small quantities on eBay fairly inexpensively)

If you are free floating the barrel look closely at the rails from ALG Defense. They have, IMO, the best and most solid attachment method.

I prefer this style the best unless you need a rail all the way across the top. Saves weight and gives a more comfortable grip
We fully agree on rails. I have those rails on all of my ARs, except for my AM-10, which came as a complete rifle. Except for the AM-10 they all have ar15performance Melonite barrels.

Last Edited:
So did the OP ever come back?:s0109:
He was here yesterday afternoon at 5:30pm.
Sometimes I wonder if some people aren't familiar with discussion forums? Maybe they don't see the notice that they received of likes and responses? Maybe? The HUGE flood of responses BLEW their mind!

He was here yesterday afternoon at 5:30pm.
Sometimes I wonder if some people aren't familiar with discussion forums? Maybe they don't see the notice that they received of likes and responses? Maybe? The HUGE flood of responses BLEW their mind!
Yeah seeing that he's probably a younger fella and more tech savvy than most of us old farts that he just can't see the forest for the trees. :s0092:

Yeah seeing that he's probably a younger fella and more tech savvy than most of us old farts that he just can't see the forest for the trees. :s0092:
I have to agree as to our age. I think that the youngest member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club has to be at least 64 and if they served with me they are in their 70s or more.

Without a doubt a persons first build will be the most ungodly collection of parts you can find. Been there and done that. Then after a while after your friends laugh at it long enough you tear it all apart and build it like your "friends" think it should be. After a while of shooting it that way you slowly decide what YOU want regardless of what your friends say. Eventually it turns into YOUR rifle the way you could have done it in the first place but didn't have the experience or knowledge to do it that way. The end product will be an expression of your own personality and desires. 😁

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top