JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They're are 1000s of options, do you have a specific use for the gun? Budget in mind? Lots of great people here to help, but people will also need a little more to go on. Welcome to the AR world, it's an awesome platform imo.

1650049989745.png

1650050911092.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
1) Get yourself educated about the platform so you have a good idea on what you want.
You'll have to learn :
Gas system lengths
Barrel lengths and contours
Trigger types
BCG types
Sight types
Furniture types
Muzzle device types
Trusted manufacturers of the various components

Those are all important to understand or you will likely end up with some components that you will want to change out as you get more familiar with the platform.

2) Learn the build procedure and what tools you will need.
I couldn't find the original Brownells AR Build video series.
They put this one up recently.

You have some homework to do

1) Get yourself educated about the platform so you have a good idea on what you want.
You'll have to learn :
Gas system lengths
Barrel lengths and contours
Trigger types
BCG types
Sight types
Furniture types
Muzzle device types
Trusted manufacturers of the various components

Those are all important to understand or you will likely end up with some components that you will want to change out as you get more familiar with the platform.

2) Learn the build procedure and what tools you will need.
I couldn't find the original Brownells AR Build video series.
They put this one up recently.

You have some homework to do
Let me add a little color to this list...
- Gas System lengths
- - Carbine (You like tinnitus)
- - Mid Length (Practicality makes decisions for you)
- - Rifle (You also have a 1911, 'cause if it a'int broke!)

- Trigger Types
- - Click-Pew
- - Pew-Pew-Pew-Pew

Welcome to the Forum!

It's best to determine your intended use, then build from there.

Are you building for hunting, home defense, truck gun, competition, plinking, shtf, short range, long range, compact? There are more options that Legos when it comes to AR's. Narrowing down the field will help you save money and help us offer better suggestions. That said we are strangers on the internet and opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one...some of them stink. Take our suggestions with a grain of salt.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Not sure if you are familiar with the AR platform or not. If you are not familiar you buy a complete AR first and buy some ammo and learn how to shoot it, field strip it and clean it, Once you a familiar take an AR class and learn how to clear malfunctions. I finally bought some dummy rounds and have been practicing malfunction drills after I took an AR class.

Just looking for Ideas on my build.

You sorry you asked now? :s0112: Here you will find, grouchy, friendly, caring and above all, the most helpful people on the interwebs! Even the grouchy ones.

I'm not much of an AR guy. Oh, the wife and I BOTH have one. Mine, off the rack, built by the guys at Curt's Discount Firearm's. It looks good and has been a flawless shooter. The wife's AR was "Put Together" by me. The easiest way. Had the lower and bought the upper complete. And added the rest. It shoots and looks good.
Everything said above is true. SO MANY parts out there from so many manufacturers. Maybe do the first one easy. Like I did the wife's. Then you'll have a better feel for the platform.

Welcome to the forum!

Find an AR that you really like and use it as a general design blueprint.

IMO the right barrel profile and gas system length are important. For carbine length barrels I really like mid length gas systems, and I prefer profiles like the Ballistic Advantage Hanson and Faxon Gunner for all around usage. Go for Melonite/Nitride or if you want chrome spend the bux to get one done right (FN or Colt).

Keep it clean and simple. Make sure you have the right tools including torque wrench. Use AeroShell grease on the barrel threads (you can get small quantities on eBay fairly inexpensively)

If you are free floating the barrel look closely at the rails from ALG Defense. They have, IMO, the best and most solid attachment method.

I prefer this style the best unless you need a rail all the way across the top. Saves weight and gives a more comfortable grip

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top