JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Will that "loop-hole" if you will always be available to WA residents?
Only two kinds of people use the word "loophole" bro. Are you a lawyer?

if I'm gonna own a firearm I'd rather own a pistol.
If you're gonna... WTF is that?

I go hard and shoot 1,000 rounds in a year and that's $500...
A thousand rounds... a year?? Well now, isn't that cute.

I built it and ~5 years later I'm now selling it.
Five years and no shootie? What happened to going hard?

Money that can help with a bill or towards a hobby that I am MUCH more active in.
Well that makes sense. No one trying to infringe on your Lego rights.

I know if I built my first gun I'd be proud as a peacock and want to show it off to my other gun buddies
If there are any gun buddies. Lego buddies probably not interested and may very well also use the word "loophole".

Just having a little fun at the noob's expense here, but the "loophole" line did bubblegum me right off.

1XTZCBu.jpg

Near $2k on this and I don't see a high end trigger?

Note that I am not an AR builder, so maybe I missed something.

The one internals upgrade I made to my M&P 15 was a Timney Impact trigger. The mil-spec trigger was dog poo.

Please understand that I am not trying to be mean. Assuming you are not an ATF agent, I think you have been clear and honest with this. But there is a lot about guns that can't be learned without a bunch of time behind the trigger.

Interesting question posed and I'm sure it's an issue that many AR builders have faced on how to maximize their money invested on wanted resale of that AR. There are plenty of comments with great advice. I have not built any AR's personally as when I investigated this option I simply found that purchasing a factory built complete AR was a better option pricewise and for resale value. A lot depends on timing in the market as when I purchased mine there was an overabundance of factory AR's for great pricing due to the previous years having a hard time keeping up with the demand and everybody and their brother was building them to capitalize on the high prices that demand was creating and such there were too many available and drove the prices down.

My .02 worth of advice is to either (in order of preference):

1. I only saw one post alluding to this but I'd suggest doing some research on what pistol(s) you're interested in and seeing if you can simply trade your built AR for one of your choices and try to find the best deal (pistol including ammo, holster, accessories and etc.). I think in this manner you might get closer to your money invested or at least walk away feeling that you got what you wanted out of the deal and the other trader would too. For me personally, I wouldn't care too much about the "unfired" condition as the upper was purchased complete and likely the lower is fine too (generally speaking, if there are issues then they can be resolved for very little money). I think "unfired" condition on the upper would bring more of a premium return on the money spent.

2. If you can't (or don't want to) work out a trade for desired pistol, then I'd suggest separating the upper and lower. Sell the upper complete with the accessories available as package deal. Either try to sell/trade the lower for something you want or simply keep it to avoid any hassles associated with FFL and/or stupid WA gun laws.

3. Any accessories that don't sell, you might be able to trade them for stuff you do want that may not be firearm related.

The one internals upgrade I made to my M&P 15 was a Timney Impact trigger. The mil-spec trigger was dog poo.

Please understand that I am not trying to be mean. Assuming you are not an ATF agent, I think you have been clear and honest with this. But there is a lot about guns that can't be learned without a bunch of time behind the trigger.
Ahem. Geissele.:rolleyes:

Different strokes.

As for this thread. If a person doesn't have at least one drawer full of rando 'parts' collecting dust for one reason or another; even due to being as simple of a reason as not adhering to the: "Buy once, Cry once" mantra...

OP, let me know it you're in the market for a hardly worn holster for your newly acquired pistol. Shoots, I might be able to help you out, as long as you're willing to pay real close to what I paid for it. Looking to go 'Drop Leg'? I could even throw in a CHI SKS bayo, or 'chest-rig LBV' into the pot.

I still can't get over: "I assembled a rifle; bought a bunch of accessories, and never even took it out once to shoot it".

Take it as a learned lesson. Consider it as a hobby-tax. Accept your financial loss as being what you paid for the enjoyment of putting it all together.

My brain just can't comprehend that a new (but tested to prove it all works) lower and upper have to be listed for half their CURRENT MSRP to sell. ...
And here's the rub!

Your rifle is NOT new, it's used. If you were a commercial retailer you could list is as "new old stock" but as a private individual who did not purchase the parts with the intent to manufacture and resale, the parts are now all used parts (regardless of the actual use put on them).

The commercial resellers' sale would allow any warranty to pass to the ultimate end purchaser. In your case YOU are the end purchaser.

Turn the table around and look at this from another direction. If you were in the market for a rifle would you pay MSRP from a private seller? I think you would be like everyone else in the market. You would substantially discount the price you would be willing to pay because of the value loss buying used parts as well as the increased risk that comes from owning such items.

You have got a lot of good advice here. I have seen few threads where folks ha e been willing to invest so much time in crafting posts. That's one of the great things about NWFA, folks here go the extra mile for each other.

I hope all this helps you as you move forward. Ultimately, the value of any object is what a willing and able buyer will pay at the time the item is offered for sale. Put the rifle up here or on Gunbroker and see what the market tells you.

I'd be thrilled if you got what you want for the rifle, nobody here, me included, wishes you to take a loss. So give it a try, perhaps we are wrong!

Haha, yeah so the trigger thing is the classic newbie thing. I got a standard trigger cause I was just starting and have never pulled a trigger on anything but a dry gun. I had in my wish list some great bang for buck triggers that gun nuts recommended (forget what they were called) but considering I never used the rifle, I never invested more into it by upgrading the trigger. I completely expected to eventually want to upgrade but at first I just wanted it to have a trigger so I could shoot it.

I had $1200 (cash in hand) to spend for on an AR. After reading this thread, I went to the classifieds hoping to see if the OP listed it there (whole or parted out) but no dice.

Well after all the gum bumping going on back and forth in this thread from the OP, I got bored and blew my wad of cash on a case of premium US grade AA jumbo eggs!

Now I'm having buyers remorse. Do you guys think I could make my money back selling the eggs as a whole case, or does it make sense to sell them individually? I really can't wrap my brain around losing 50% value on my case of quality eggs.

What should I do? I was hoping to make my money back. I could sell them individually, but that would be more work. What it I just put the whole case up for sale on Eggbroker?

I had $1200 (cash in hand) to spend for on an AR. After reading this thread, I went to the classifieds hoping to see if the OP listed it there (whole or parted out) but no dice.

Well after all the gum bumping going on back and forth in this thread from the OP, I got bored and blew my wad of cash on a case of premium US grade AA jumbo eggs!

Now I'm having buyers remorse. Do you guys think I could make my money back selling the eggs as a whole case, or does it make sense to sell them individually? I really can't wrap my brain around losing 50% value on my case of quality eggs.

What should I do? I was hoping to make my money back. I could sell them individually, but that would be more work. What it I just put the whole case up for sale on Eggbroker?
Keep em, hatch em then sell the chicks for 4 times the price of 1 egg.

I wish AR's were bunny rabbits....

Speaking of bunny rabbits! Isn't easter coming soon?

Puppies make excellent Easter gifts!

Do puppies like eggs?

Wow... this thread diverged quickly. 🤣

Well, are you trying to offload them before they're planning to ban jumbo eggs or after? Did you factor in that there may be a bunch of people 'panic-buying' Jumbo Eggs when the above mentioned ban comes into fruition?

I've read somewhere that eggs can be buried in the ground. Supposedly, there's people that will pay boo koo bucks calling them "1000 year old eggs"

Hello everyone, hope you're having a great weekend. Bummer about the Seahawks but we all saw that L coming. So, there isn't really anywhere clearly defined for me to post my current issues/questions so I'll just give it a shot here and if you want to point me in a better direction, please do so.

A few years ago I built my first firearm, an AR15. Thing is, I haven't even shot it once. COVID happened and I just never got around to putting a single round through it. Now I am thinking as far as guns are concerned, I would rather solely own a pistol and therefore I'd like to sell the rifle. The money, hopefully >$1,000k, in my bank account sounds better than the rifle in a case in my room for years with zero use. The first issue with my desire to sell is because I am NOT in the know of the gun culture, I have no clue where my best places are for selling. I also have no clue what my rifle is worth other than what I paid for all the parts. I also have no clue if it's a fools errand to think I can sell the complete rifle + all my accessories bundled together so I don't have to attempt to sell individual accessories one at a time which sounds like a pain-in-the-bubblegum. So any information, advice and services, shops or websites you can point me towards that I would have the most success with would be fantastic.

Just so you have as much information as possible, I'll tell you what I bought and built, plus the accessories. If you feel like you know the market and feel like telling me what you think I could get for it, that'd be great too.

Rifle total cost, not including taxes, shipping or fees was ~$1,270 with the accessories costing an added ~$600.

Rifle:

- Aero Precision Ambi lower (gen 2, blemished from factory, black) - [$125]
- Norgon ambi-catch - [$80]
- Aero Precision LPK - [$54]
- Magpul MOE trigger guard, black - [$8]
- BCM SS410 16" mid length URG w/BCM KMR 15" hand guard, 1/8 twist + BCM BCG & BCM Mod 0 comp - [$762]
- BCM Gunfighter QD end plate - [$17]
- BCM stock hardware mounting kit (mil spec) - H buffer - [$70]
- Rainer Arms AXTS Raptor ambi charging handle - [$85]
- Magpul STR Carbine stock mil-spec (foliage green) - [$70]

Accessories:

- Magpul PMAG M3 30-round magazine
- Magpul PMAG M3 40-round magazine
- 5x D&H 30rd magazines (black teflon coating - foliage green Magpul followers)
- Magpul MagLink coupler for PMAG 30/40rd mags
- Magpul MBUS Pro backup rear and front sights (MAG276 + MAG275)
- Magpul QDM quick disconnect sling swivel
- x2 BCM KeyMod rail panel kit, 5.5" foliage green (5 pack)
- BCM KAG, KeyMod, foliage green
- BCM Quick detachable sling mount, KeyMod
- Bushnell Trophy TRS25 red dot sight
- Magpul MS4 dual QD sling Gen2, ranger green
- Magpul sling mount kit - type 2
- Condor double rifle case (OD)
Any photos?

Hello everyone, hope you're having a great weekend. Bummer about the Seahawks but we all saw that L coming. So, there isn't really anywhere clearly defined for me to post my current issues/questions so I'll just give it a shot here and if you want to point me in a better direction, please do so.

A few years ago I built my first firearm, an AR15. Thing is, I haven't even shot it once. COVID happened and I just never got around to putting a single round through it. Now I am thinking as far as guns are concerned, I would rather solely own a pistol and therefore I'd like to sell the rifle. The money, hopefully >$1,000k, in my bank account sounds better than the rifle in a case in my room for years with zero use. The first issue with my desire to sell is because I am NOT in the know of the gun culture, I have no clue where my best places are for selling. I also have no clue what my rifle is worth other than what I paid for all the parts. I also have no clue if it's a fools errand to think I can sell the complete rifle + all my accessories bundled together so I don't have to attempt to sell individual accessories one at a time which sounds like a pain-in-the-bubblegum. So any information, advice and services, shops or websites you can point me towards that I would have the most success with would be fantastic.

Just so you have as much information as possible, I'll tell you what I bought and built, plus the accessories. If you feel like you know the market and feel like telling me what you think I could get for it, that'd be great too.

Rifle total cost, not including taxes, shipping or fees was ~$1,270 with the accessories costing an added ~$600.

Rifle:

- Aero Precision Ambi lower (gen 2, blemished from factory, black) - [$125]
- Norgon ambi-catch - [$80]
- Aero Precision LPK - [$54]
- Magpul MOE trigger guard, black - [$8]
- BCM SS410 16" mid length URG w/BCM KMR 15" hand guard, 1/8 twist + BCM BCG & BCM Mod 0 comp - [$762]
- BCM Gunfighter QD end plate - [$17]
- BCM stock hardware mounting kit (mil spec) - H buffer - [$70]
- Rainer Arms AXTS Raptor ambi charging handle - [$85]
- Magpul STR Carbine stock mil-spec (foliage green) - [$70]

Accessories:

- Magpul PMAG M3 30-round magazine
- Magpul PMAG M3 40-round magazine
- 5x D&H 30rd magazines (black teflon coating - foliage green Magpul followers)
- Magpul MagLink coupler for PMAG 30/40rd mags
- Magpul MBUS Pro backup rear and front sights (MAG276 + MAG275)
- Magpul QDM quick disconnect sling swivel
- x2 BCM KeyMod rail panel kit, 5.5" foliage green (5 pack)
- BCM KAG, KeyMod, foliage green
- BCM Quick detachable sling mount, KeyMod
- Bushnell Trophy TRS25 red dot sight
- Magpul MS4 dual QD sling Gen2, ranger green
- Magpul sling mount kit - type 2
- Condor double rifle case (OD)
Welcome. I would search the classifieds rifles section and look at asking price for comparable guns. Keep in mind that some of those ads are way overpriced and may not sell anywhere close to asking price. I don't know if it's possible to search for sold ads because they are closed after sold. Sold ads would give you a better idea of value. A regular s&w m&p 15 costs $549-$599 right now so that gives you an idea of reg ar value. While that's a basic AR, it's new, has warranty, and is tested.

Your situation shares some similarities with the realities of reloading your own ammunition and then deciding to sell the completed assembly...
Because many potential buyers are going to be concerned if it was assembled correctly (especially by a first time builder) and some would prefer to have different components, the parts are actually worth less after being assembled then if sold individually...
Perhaps you get lucky and find a buyer who shares your vision and is willingly to pay full price for what you have...
Welcome to the forum and good luck wit your sale.

If you can't afford to sell it, you probably shouldn't have purchased it.

Bunch of drunk buddies talking about how firearms are a great investment don't make it so.

If you can't afford to sell it, you probably shouldn't have purchased it.

Bunch of drunk buddies talking about how firearms are a great investment don't make it so.
Wait just a sec now! A lot of good things come while slightly intoxicated. Heck... I was half a sheet to the wind when I got marrie.... Ohhhhh. I see your point.

🤣

I thought garage builds were to have a gun with no serial number, not to assemble and sell.
If you build a PMF for personal use that's perfectly fine. If at some point and time you decide you want to sell your personal firearm... that's perfectly fine too.

You just can't build a PMF with the sole intention of selling or gifting it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top