JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just looking for Ideas on my build.
I'm not sure anyone here has provided much helpful info, bro.

I would start by deciding if you want to just build the Lower and then buy a complete Upper/Barrel combo to add to it.

Uppers are more difficult and require more precision. So, for your first one you might want to buy the Upper complete.

Lowers are simpler. There are many Youtube Videos out there that take you step-by step.

I would suggest you start with a Lower build first. Don't be afraid of Polymer Lowers, I have a couple of FMK's and they are flawless, all the parts fit perfectly and they are excellent guns at much lower cost:

Once you have a Lower, you will need a "Lower Parts Kit". Available most places, I recommend MidwayUSA:

Once you watch a few videos, you will see that there are special tools you will need. Brownells has them all:

Add your Upper/Barrel Combo, and you're Good To Go! Tackle the Upper Build on your 2nd try ;)

Good Luck! and...

See you at the Range!

PS: PM me if you need help :)

the only acceptable outcome for an AR15.....

View attachment 1179307
it depends on the objective of your build - a barn wall at 100 yrds or bullseye at 600 yrds
I have both and they each have a place in your shooting objectives
my preference is an AR mid gas piston system with 16" bbl in 6.5 Grendel
the best barrel you can afford
free float tube
Tubb buffer spring, H2 buffer weight
Geissele trigger without doubt

This one has a 2" barrel:

1650164498554.png

^this. Build your lower if you want to but as a new guy I would not recommend building an upper. It will cost more and be less valuable should you decide to sell it. I'd recommend BCM for important parts like barrel and bolt/carrier.

it depends on the objective of your build - a barn wall at 100 yrds or bullseye at 600 yrds
I have both and they each have a place in your shooting objectives
my preference is an AR mid gas piston system with 16" bbl in 6.5 Grendel
the best barrel you can afford
free float tube
Tubb buffer spring, H2 buffer weight
Geissele trigger without doubt
The OP didn't state an objective for his build. For a infantry rifle... which both are designed for by intent they are both pretty much equals and both are highly accurate for infantry needs.
But to clarify, my comment was mostly to joke around but hopefully he will be more specific in what he wants.
The one advantage of an AR is its way more modular and can be built for precision

The OP didn't state an objective for his build. For a infantry rifle... which both are designed for by intent they are both pretty much equals and both are highly accurate for infantry needs.
But to clarify, my comment was mostly to joke around but hopefully he will be more specific in what he wants.
The one advantage of an AR is its way more modular and can be built for precision
granted
I'm an old High Power shooter, I judge my rifles in MOA out to 600 yrds
but these are pampered target rifles, carried in padded cases
not an infantry rifle used in the Ukraine mud
I have an old Mosin that someone threw on a barb wire obstacle, and soldiers ran over it, leaving barb wire scars in the stock
this is not happening with my AR builds

leaving barb wire scars in the stock
this is not happening with my AR builds
not yours and mine AR builds but for an infantry manufactured rifle yes.

The OP really needs to clarify what he needs here. If he needs precision then the AR excels, if he needs a basic self defense rifle then he can build virtually any AR he wants.

Note: The OP joined just yesterday and this is his only contribution to the group. Hopefully he will reply.

not yours and mine AR builds but for an infantry manufactured rifle yes.

The OP really needs to clarify what he needs here. If he needs precision then the AR excels, if he needs a basic self defense rifle then he can build virtually any AR he wants.

Note: The OP joined just yesterday and this is his only contribution to the group. Hopefully he will reply.
then I'll kickback and wait for this new member to specify what they want
I have been known to overload individuals with technical data, even before I retired
but an AR in 6.5 Grendel is not only a good self defense firearm, target rifle, but legal for hunting Elk in Washington state
try that with your AK

I have been known to overload individuals with technical data, even before I retired
but an AR in 6.5 Grendel is not only a good self defense firearm, target rifle, but legal for hunting Elk in Washington state
try that with your AK
An AK47 is legal for elk too.... ;)
they both have their merits but Ive always wanted to build an AR with the Grendel and am continuously teetering on that idea. This is where the AR is way more versatile and wins.

try that with your AK
.30 caliber is legal if .264 is, so is this a jab at the AK platform? I'm sure they can be made to be minute of elk just fine.

Just to clarify my comment about the AK was in jest to incite the OP to respond. He joined yesterday and this is his only contribution so far and its so vague its pointless unless he clarifies.

edit to add...
but by all means if the OP doesnt reply I think it would be more fun to compare the 6.5 Grendel vs the AK47 (7.62) for hunting elk....
at least thats a caliber war Ive never seen yet anyways.

.30 caliber is legal if .264 is, so is this a jab at the AK platform? I'm sure they can be made to be minute of elk just fine.
I have owned and shot my AK platform since 1989 - I know the strengths and weaknesses of the AK
and hunting elk is not one of it's strengths
what is the closest you ever got to and elk during hunting season?
will your AK accurately shoot that far with the energy and accuracy to bring down an Roosevelt Elk?
at 300 yrds, your 7.62x39 will give you 550 lbs of energy and drops 27"
at the same range a good Grendel hunting bullet will give you 1150 lbs and drop only 8"
which one do you want to try?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads