JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey!

I'm new here and interested in building an Ak/AKM from a parts kit.

I'm still early in the research process so I'll save my dumb questions for a later date

I guess now I'm just looking for resources on where to find kits, building info, any central Idaho specific info, etc...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Giani

Welcome, the AK forum is by far the best resource for AK related material when it comes to home brews!

A few of their members are also on here.

Best of luck in your build!

Youre a bit late in the game . Everythings out there. Just a little harder to get. Your first will be expensive just because of tooling. After that the price drops considerably. You need a press and some riveting tools. How well equipped is your shop?

Youre a bit late in the game . Everythings out there. Just a little harder to get. Your first will be expensive just because of tooling. After that the price drops considerably. You need a press and some riveting tools. How well equipped is your shop?
Hi!
That's what I'm seeing too. It looks like I got hooked at just the wrong time, "OUT OF STOCK" on most the kits google turns up for me. And those that are in stock seem to have really jumped in price (while dropping in quality) lately.

I did manage to get ahold of a few 80% receivers at just the last minute though.

At the moment my shop is pretty nonexistent, hoping that will change in the next year or two but no telling right now... I've got access to a drill press but that's about it at the moment.
Because of my shop situation I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to have the thing headspaced by a pro and do a screw build my first time around. The screw build is mostly so I can get myself familiar with the thing and undo some of my mistakes, which I'm sure there will be more than a few.

1661455527716.png

Aloha, Mark

Hey!

I'm new here and interested in building an Ak/AKM from a parts kit.

I'm still early in the research process so I'll save my dumb questions for a later date

I guess now I'm just looking for resources on where to find kits, building info, any central Idaho specific info, etc...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Giani
I'd recommend getting an account on akfiles or akforums. The problem with kits nowadays is its really only good for having specific builds, days of building cheap kits are over.

Hi!
That's what I'm seeing too. It looks like I got hooked at just the wrong time, "OUT OF STOCK" on most the kits google turns up for me. And those that are in stock seem to have really jumped in price (while dropping in quality) lately.

I did manage to get ahold of a few 80% receivers at just the last minute though.

At the moment my shop is pretty nonexistent, hoping that will change in the next year or two but no telling right now... I've got access to a drill press but that's about it at the moment.
Because of my shop situation I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to have the thing headspaced by a pro and do a screw build my first time around. The screw build is mostly so I can get myself familiar with the thing and undo some of my mistakes, which I'm sure there will be more than a few.

The only things screw builds do is make it harder to un ruin the receiver.

The nice thing about screw builds is it lets me know to buy a different AK tbh.

Screws loosen up, plus I don't think you can really get the threads deep enough for screws to be a decent replacement for rivets.

I don't trust myself enough to get everything "rivet worthy" on the first go

I'm thinking of screws more like training wheels or water-wings and once I'm ready to put on my bigboy pants, get those rivets in there.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

I know that you're not in the Oregon/ Washington area but we've found the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly is through grass roots involvement.

If there isn't a local group that advocates for responsible stewardship of public lands, check out Trash No Land.

Welcome, I used to do AK stuff till covid killed it feel free to ask any questions i will try and answer. With the new frames and reciever rules that went in to effect on the 23rd building will be even more expensive now as the flats and 80s's now require an FFL transfer so best to just buy a 100% of whatever varient.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top