Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NEW! Sig P290 Sub 9mm? Am I just late on this?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by clearconscience, Dec 30, 2010.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Here's the link to the new Sig Sauer P290 Sub Compact in 9mm!
    Looks pretty cool. I've been looking for a new sub in 9mm and this may be it.

Products & Services

2. First...

Anyway, I've seen this thing a few times. Am I missing something? It really doesn't look that special, in fact, it seems rather plain. I generally love Sigs, but the 250 and the 290 frames just don't do it for me.

3. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the 250, and the 290 is plain but I like the sub compact in 9mm. I like the P238, but I hate the 380.

4. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

The 250s have gotten a pretty bad rep in terms of reliability, you might want to do a little research (eta: read this thread).... can't imagine these are any better.

I would definitely pass on one of these and go with a proven platform - glock 26 is probably one of the most proven subcompact 9mms out there and would be my choice if I were in the market for something that small.

5. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I really hate to speak about a gun I haven't shot but I've been hearing nothing but complaints about the plastic Sigs. I would be sure to at least shoot one before laying down cash.

6. lesscubes

lesscubes Burien Member

This is a very small gun, smaller than a Glock 26, almost .380 sized. I'm interested in it if it WORKS like a Sig should. Cant speak to the reliability of the 250 but it has a very nice if long DAO trigger. Butter smooth. I'm hoping this one is similar, maybe a shorter reset.

It is pretty heavy compared to a J-Frame, about the only other 9mm this size is the Kahr which isn't exactly inexpensive. I can't imagine it'd be too much fun to shoot either, though it looks like it has a fair bit of muzzle weight based on the pictures of the business end. Pretty heavy looking bbl.

The removable grip scales is a novel idea on a Poly frame pistol, I'd like to see that on more guns.

7. centerfire

centerfire Vancouver Member

It does look really small.
    Doesnt look like much of a grip available as is.

8. sports-shooter

sports-shooter Seattle East Side Member

A lot smaller than the Glock 26.

It is even smaller than the Kel-Tec PF9. I think this is the market that Sig is going after. The tiny DAO plastics. There are still very few players in this market.

9. lesscubes

lesscubes Burien Member

And judging by how hot the .380 market is, I'd assume it's a good one to get into.