JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, I know some members of the dalles rod and gun club that were talking about it back in 2013. Their last club got closed down due to insurance reasons. They are probably just making sure all the legalities are in order. The same thing basically happened to the trap club I belonged to across the river by the airport. It looks like a very nice range, hopefully they will let us join. Every time I jump in my pickup and head west to my clubs range, I think I could just be driving 5 miles instead of 55 to go shoot....:oops: . I have a new Tikka superlite I need to go and shoot today, as a matter of fact. I'm willing to wait for them to open up, even if it takes another 2 years...

How's that wind going to be at the range today? Been several weeks now, but it got worse as the sun got lower. Had to use extra rock on the stands. :D Once the sun went off the shelter, it got cold quick.

How's that wind going to be at the range today? Been several weeks now, but it got worse as the sun got lower. Had to use extra rock on the stands. :D Once the sun went off the shelter, it got cold quick.

Thanks for asking Mike. It's been terrible!!!!!! I showed up late the last couple times and it's been terrible. It's weird I've noticed when it's great in the dalles (10mph winds, it's never calm here), it's really windy over there and then vice versa. If it's really windy here, it's mellow over there. I'm crossing my fingers my friend. I was shooting my BSA model E (sporterized m1917) two days ago and it was windy. I decided to just shoot 3 shots per group on target. Some of these guys may laugh, but when I say my shot was screwed up because the wind blew my target stand, we are not kidding!!!!! This is a prime example:
Ives3d4.jpg

Check out all the other groups on each side of that one:
eLSOSXY.jpg
hAzzSob.jpg

EkMymAJ.jpg
s3qPjER.jpg
Sorry for the duplicate pic^^^ Its there to stay, tried taking it off, buy this place likes keeping them.

However, most of the time it's not too bad because it's kind of sheltered from the wind. I'm hoping today it's going to be good. As I drove by Cascade Locks yesterday, it was very nice. The sun was even out... Had to go and pick this bad boy up though..:
UbzWizx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for asking Mike. It's been terrible!!!!!! I showed up late the last couple times and it's been terrible. It's weird I've noticed when it's great in the dalles (10mph winds, it's never calm here), it's really windy over there and then vice versa. If it's really windy here, it's mellow over there. I'm crossing my fingers my friend. I was shooting my BSA model E (sporterized m1917) two days ago and it was windy. I decided to just shoot 3 shots per group on target. Some of these guys may laugh, but when I say my shot was screwed up because the wind blew my target stand, we are not kidding!!!!! This is a prime example:
View attachment 537272

Check out all the other groups on each side of that one:
View attachment 537273
View attachment 537274
View attachment 537275
View attachment 537279
View attachment 537276
Sorry for the duplicate pic^^^ Its there to stay, tried taking it off, buy this place likes keeping them.

However, most of the time it's not too bad because it's kind of sheltered from the wind. I'm hoping today it's going to be good. As I drove by Cascade Locks yesterday, it was very nice. The sun was even out... Had to go and pick this bad boy up though..:
View attachment 537277

You sir, are hard core. I like it! I'm hoping I can be up there on day when you're there. You've got some really neat guns!

Thank you sir. I enjoy that place. I'm there quite often. Speaking of hard core. This is what I do in the winter time around here, when I don't feel like driving down the gorge to get to the clubs range:
DiWEh6O.jpg

Crazy or "hardcore"... :D

You might try leading that target:D
Funny. Good suggestion :D I took a friend with me today. It blew both of our target stands over twice today. My stand is really heavy and my buddies had abouy 50 pounds of rocks and old base on top of his base. Not the best day to shoot small groups, but i found out all i needed to know about my new rifle.

Better than anything in the Portland area. Honesty the options for shooting in this area are not good especially for long range. I'm jealous.
I would disagree tri county and Douglas ridge are pretty awesome. you can do six hundred yards at tri and a thousand yards at Douglas. Plus they have a tons of different types of discipline matches every week.

I did call and talk to Jeff Hunter of Klickitat county a couple months ago. Here are the highlights as I remember. 100 yard range hopeful to open this spring, still need to hire the primary range officer/manager. 300 yard range will also have the "no blue sky" baffles and a steel lined house to contain any discharge just as the finished 100 yard range has, no estimate on completion of the 300 yard range. The range will not be open to the general public outside of manned times. Law enforcement has already and will have less restricted access to the range. Targets will be provided, paper only. No steel targets. If I remember correctly he said they are planning on a fee of $15 per visit. No membership, no pre-payment, no punch cards. Possibility of volunteer hours accumulated to offset range fees. Range officers needed, must have NRA range officer certification. Seems like they were hopeful to be open Saturdays and Sundays, I can't remember if he said any weekdays too, I suppose it depends on the availability of the candidate(s) they hire for the range officer and range manager. They are hoping to have an open house prior to opening (off-site, no guns) to get the word out. I occasionally check the paper for word of it, I'll post if I see anything about it. I might be missing something of the conversation, but these are the questions I remember... Jeff was very pleasant to visit with about the range, he has been working on this for years. Washington lawmakers are making it very near impossible to open a public shooting range, the red tape and nearly cost prohibitive requirements are why this range is taking so long to get going.

I personally was thinking it would be fun to set up NRL-22 matches on this 100 yard range, but the "no steel targets" would disqualify this type of competitive activity. Guess we'll have to come up with a paper only league. It seems like positional/obstacle shooting, ie. barricade, tank trap, suspended platform, roof, etc. might also be difficult within the confines of the shoot house, guess we'll have to wait and see what it looks like once it is open.
Dale

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads